Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I get my poppies at school every year. The local Legions always bring trays to the schools about a week before our Remembrance Day services. A former real estate agent of ours sent me two poppies in the mail! That's cool -- now I can wear one on my coat, and the one I bought at school on my clothes. Before our service at school, we always make sure every kid has a poppy to wear, even if they don't have any money. For us, it's about keeping the meaning of Remembrance Day alive for our students.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I get my poppies at school every year. The local Legions always bring trays to the schools about a week before our Remembrance Day services. A former real estate agent of ours sent me two poppies in the mail! That's cool -- now I can wear one on my coat, and the one I bought at school on my clothes. Before our service at school, we always make sure every kid has a poppy to wear, even if they don't have any money. For us, it's about keeping the meaning of Remembrance Day alive for our students.
    That's a very important thing to do!
    Can't skate but love to watch

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Before our service at school, we always make sure every kid has a poppy to wear, even if they don't have any money. For us, it's about keeping the meaning of Remembrance Day alive for our students.
    Just out of curiosity, has a student ever refused to wear a poppy?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has a student ever refused to wear a poppy?
    If they have, I can't remember...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    If they have, I can't remember...
    Thanks for answering. Irish people, in general, don't wear poppies. In fact, wearing one can be slightly controversial and I was just interested to see if there was any kind of conscientious objection to them in a country where it's more common. Because we get British TV here it almost seems as though you're not allowed to be on screen unless you are wearing a poppy.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Why don't Irish people wear poppies?

vCash
    Probably because the Rep. Of Ireland was officially neutral during WW2. And the Irish history with the British.

vCash
    We have had the RSL in the lobby of our store selling them last weekend and this weekend. I have just managed to resist buying so many poppies that my apron is red instead of green. (Only just, mind you.)

Yesterday we found an Australian flag in our cupboards (we KNEW it was somewhere!) and so today they had a tablecloth and then the Australian flag on top. I asked if they liked their new table. They approved very heartily.

Our PA system at work is programmed so that automatically at 11am it will play a brief message about Remembrance Day, then the minute's silence, then the Last Post. A very clever set up that I like very much.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Probably because the Rep. Of Ireland was officially neutral during WW2. And the Irish history with the British.
    Although it might have something to do with the Irish history with the British and a contemporary reluctance to be associated with Britain and British traditions, the history of the poppy as a symbol of war remembrance began with WWI, not WWII. John McCrae wrote "In Flanders Field" in 1915, and it -- and the poppy -- began to be used in post-WWI remembrance ceremonies. And of course Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom during WWI.

vCash
    My school held our Remembrance Day service yesterday afternoon. One of our former administrators plays in a pipe band in Red Deer, and he brought several band members to play at the service. We also had representatives from the local Legion, Girl Guides, Air Cadets, RCMP, and volunteer fire department involved. Elementary students sang appropriate songs, high school students recited poetry appropriate to the theme. I've been to a few school services over the years, and this is one of the best. All we were missing this year was a younger veteran who could speak to the kids/audience about the Canadian forces' current military involvements. Sometimes that's hard to do, depending on who knows who, and when people are available. But like I said earlier, the main goal is to keep the spirit of Remembrance Day alive for our students, and I think we accomplished that.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Although it might have something to do with the Irish history with the British and a contemporary reluctance to be associated with Britain and British traditions, the history of the poppy as a symbol of war remembrance began with WWI, not WWII. John McCrae wrote "In Flanders Field" in 1915, and it -- and the poppy -- began to be used in post-WWI remembrance ceremonies. And of course Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom during WWI.
    At the time of WW1, Ireland was struggling to gain independence from the UK. The 1916 Easter Rising and its suppression galvanised antipathy towards British rule. While British soldiers were becoming cannon fodder in northern France those fighting for freedom in Ireland were being killed by the same British army. So it's not very surprising that there is not a lot sentimentality towards the poppy here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12