Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Part of the Atlantic City boardwalk has been washed away already.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I'm NE of Washington DC and the wind is horrific. The trees down around the pool are swaying like crazy.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    The NJ news is showing different shots of flooding around the state. Judging by one of them from Hackensack it looks like the Ice House is probably surrounded by water right now. Not surprising.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    And it's one tree down, over the fence and into the pool. Kind of makes me glad I'm on the top floor.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    FSUers, and your friends and family...please stay safe. I've been watching CNN and it really looks terrible out there. Here in Ontario we are merely expecting high winds and rain, so not nearly as badly off although we have battened down the hatches so to speak.

As far as I know, they still haven't rescured the two missing crew member from the Bounty............feeling sick for them, their families, and remaining crew members.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Just called my neighbor at Public Landing, MD on the Chincoteague bay across from Assateague. She said it isn't as bad as Ocean City - the OC pier has washed out already, the water is up to the boardwalk with the sand washing up against the wall, and high tide there isn't even till 8 tonight. High tide at our place on the bay was 12:30 pm and so far, there aren't any flooding issues. It will depend on whether Assateague washes over at midnight since high tide comes again at 12:30 am. It is windy, but it is coming from the north, not the east. It is supposed to swirl around and come from the west later, which is really good because we will be buffered. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Isn't Assateague where the little ponies live? (Vague memories since I've not been there since the mid '80's.) I hope the storm surge does not wash them (or any people, of course) away!

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Some of the windows of the historic carousel house at Asbury Park just got blown out

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=carou...9,r:2,s:0,i:77

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Some of the windows of the historic carousel house at Asbury Park just got blown out

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=carou...9,r:2,s:0,i:77
    I haven't been there since I was a little girl. We've had a few power blinks. Keeping my fingers crossed. Daughter and fiancé are safe in their condo. My son is home and I insisted his girlfriend come here. She lives alone, and I didn't want her to be by herself. Happily, she came here! Still worrying about my brother, he lives in Brielle, near the water. He insists that, because they are up on a hill, they will be fine. I hope he's right!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    Isn't Assateague where the little ponies live? (Vague memories since I've not been there since the mid '80's.) I hope the storm surge does not wash them (or any people, of course) away!
    Yes, there are ponies on the MD and VA sides of Assateague. They swim well, every July there's the pony swim from Assateague to Chincoteague across the bay. Maybe they'll go there.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    The Mayor of Jersey City is holding a press conference. Jersey City officials haven't ever seen the water levels this high and the storm still hasn't made landfall.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    And doesn't carbon monoxide cause headaches?
    I woke up one Saturday with a terrible headache and freaked out that it was carbon monoxide from the gas heater. Got enough energy to buy a detector at Lowe's and....no, just a headache. But at least now I have peace of mind!

I hope everyone on the east coast stays safe! I lived in NJ for 10 years as a kid and I've never experienced anything like this. Still have relatives there, I hope they'll be okay!

Also, I totally just filled up a giant Sparklett's jug with water, from the reminder of natural disasters. I figure in an earthquake, that's the only thing you can really prepare for if one has a tiny apartment...

Vacant
    vCash
    Please stay safe everyone out there having to endure this. The pictures on BBC news look so scary

vCash
    The Mayor of Jersey City is holding a press conference. Jersey City officials haven't ever seen the water levels this high and the storm still hasn't made landfall.
    That's scary.

Read that 70% of the 9,500 residents of Brigantine, NJ ignored the mandatory evacuation order and its really bad there right now. Hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those that didn't leave the coast.

vCash
    Tree # 2 down - glad I'm too high up to worry about branches coming through the window.

vCash
    I hope you're in a safe place.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    That's scary.

Read that 70% of the 9,500 residents of Brigantine, NJ ignored the mandatory evacuation order and its really bad there right now. Hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those that didn't leave the coast.
    I hope this doesn't turn into some catastrophic loss of life event for those who have to go in and rescue them.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the safety of all our FSUers, and everyone else.

vCash
    People were apparently thinking, well Irene wasn't bad, how could Sandy be worse? WRONG. If I were on an island where the way out could be compromised, I think I would get out first.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    just got a taped call from my state senator saying that i should find a safe place to go and then go there

it's 5pm! you could have brought this up earlier buddy
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

vCash
    Lost power. It begins! Want to save my phone, so I'll be back when I can.

vCash
    Hope everyone is safe.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast