Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Anyone in touch with folks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland? The latest sounds pretty scary:

O’Malley warned Marylanders to stay off the roads and hunker down at home. He said the state will soon be dealing with multiple emergencies statewide: flooding and hurricane force winds on the coast, tidal flooding throughout the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, high winds in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, and blizzard-like conditions in Western Maryland.

“Your job over the next 24 to 36 hours is to stay off the roads, keep your spouse off the roads … stay home and hunker down in place.”

O’Malley said the weather forecast has turned for the worse because winds will now be coming at an angle that will push water back up into the Chesapeake Bay and into streams and tributaries feeding the bay.
    wondering about folks along the Chester River...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You are prepared!

Anyone who has a refrigerator with an ice maker - make sure you empty it if you lose power. If it melts in the ice maker, you'll have a major mess.
    Yep! We don't have a generator and live on a hill top, so power outage means no water. I was erring on the site of caution and figured might as well get our emergency supply in order once and for all. The worst of being over prepared is to eat out the fridges for a week or two and no need for grocery shopping, getting gas, etc. But the worst of being under prepared would be to go urban camping, not exactly a fun prospect.

Last year we were lucky that we were on vacation when Irene came. But many of our friends and neighbors were caught by surprise. Several flooded basements and many more went without power for a week. One couple went on a very rocky cruise for a week and came back to a very wet house. Yikes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    and since she never uses fresh ingredients and all her dishes could survive a nuclear winter, I'd say the only thing Cuomo needs to stockpile now is antacid.

I am also making ice. We're clearly going to need a few cocktails to ride this out.
    how true!!

I purchased my favorite flavored bottled water from Dollar General on Saturday, 'cause I knew they'd be gone if I waited. I also got canned baked beans and some wurst to cook now in case I lose power later. Also got candles, cashews and peanuts. Nothing happened power-wise last year in my neck of the woods, hoping for a repeat.

vCash
    Interesting comparison from the Slate http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    The area around Hoboken Train Station (which sits on the Hudson River) is already getting flooded

http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/...on_coun_9.html
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Water already up on the runway at JFK...

https://twitter.com/smartinWNTV/stat.../photo/1/large

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

And are you sure there wasn't any alcohol in that rain?
    Teeheehee - I thought it tasted like vodka...

What's bugging me now is the slowness of this storm. The slower it is, the more rain it will dump.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    Interesting comparison from the Slate http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
    I take it both areas photographed are exactly the same.

My job is closing at 3:30 (the office-side of the business is normally open until 5:00) and we are not sending out any trucks for deliveries tomorrow.

vCash
    Our power is out. I am shocked. It is so early. We have "portable" generator, I dare not complain about my headache from the noise. We have fridge and stove, and some lights, the latter which we have turned off, and I am sitting near windows for here's a new thought, daylight. Somehow my DH got internet. He has gone off seeking more gas for generator, which all weekend I told him we needed, but he said we were fine and now, of course, we are not. The main problem now is that no one has any left of those little 5 or 10 gallon containers. I am so glad I have 2 family with me and about 10 in one house nearby, well 2 miles. Those of you who are alone should buddy up with someone. I have 3:15 left on my battery, so goodbye.

vCash
    Lacey, are you using your generator indoors? That is extremely dangerous because generators release carbon monoxide. People with generators should be careful not to use them indoors or within 20 feet of doors and windows.

vCash
    Found a shop vac this morning, so I'm happy again. Sandy's shifting south, so my area is no longer in the direct line (watch it change at the next update). Photos coming in from the Jersey shore are shocking - lots of damage and it's not even here yet!

Rain predictions for my area have dropped from 6+ inches to 2-4 inches. Feeling lucky, but sad for the people getting hammered. Friend in DE just had a house built, they're expecting 8+!

vCash
    Just checking in... I was at Disney World last week and made it home to Northern Virginia yesterday. On Friday night we switched from a mid-afternoon flight to one at 9 am, and I was really glad we did when we found out that the afternoon flights were canceled.

Went to the grocery story yesterday for some supplies but there was no bottled water to be found... so we filled up some empty 2-liter bottles that we had on hand.

It's been raining since around 9 last night, but so far the winds aren't too bad, and no power or internet problems. I don't expect that to last, as the National Weather Service upped the wind forecast to 70-80 mph gusts for the DC/Baltimore area.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    NJ shore area is already getting hammered. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._increase.html

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Just called my neighbor at Public Landing, MD on the Chincoteague bay across from Assateague. She said it isn't as bad as Ocean City - the OC pier has washed out already, the water is up to the boardwalk with the sand washing up against the wall, and high tide there isn't even till 8 tonight. High tide at our place on the bay was 12:30 pm and so far, there aren't any flooding issues. It will depend on whether Assateague washes over at midnight since high tide comes again at 12:30 am. It is windy, but it is coming from the north, not the east. It is supposed to swirl around and come from the west later, which is really good because we will be buffered. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Yes, I am aware of that now Vagabond.........terrible......I read that artcle too quickly, then had to close.
    Addicted to FSU

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Lacey, are you using your generator indoors? That is extremely dangerous because generators release carbon monoxide. People with generators should be careful not to use them indoors or within 20 feet of doors and windows.
    EYS, WHAT RECKLESS SAID!!!!!!

Hang in there folks.

vCash
    raining pretty hard here, and the wind is kicking up. I drove to fill my tank this morning... it was pretty full before, but then I drove to the Eagles game (awful!) yesterday, and I was down below 1/4 tank, so I wanted to fill up again. So far, the Schuykill river and the canal still look pretty low, but it's early in the storm.

Yikes, 6 ABC just showed a twitter-pic of someone with water 2 feet up their sliding glass door!
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Our power is out. I am shocked. It is so early. We have "portable" generator, I dare not complain about my headache from the noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    And doesn't carbon monoxide cause headaches?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Not too bad in central NJ (yet). I still have power and am still getting DirecTV, but that could change at any moment. My dog Seamus is very antsy.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast