Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Oh, take a joke.
    Too bad there's nothing funny about Kelleys6th's post in the slightest. Shallow, vacuous, & self-centered, yes. A joke, absolutely not.

vCash
    I knew that this was Hurricane Sandy when I went outside and started to get pelted with rain mixed with seasoning packets...

Public transport in Philly has been shut down; the base has asked non-essential folks like myself to take leave. There has been a steady rain since late last night and it seems to be increasing.

vCash
    Just finished filling a bunch of Ziploc containers with water to make big blocks of ice. We did this when we went camping and the ice stayed intact the 5 days we were in hot weather camping so this should last even longer in much colder weather if the power goes out. I hope everyone dealing with this storm right now are okay!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    Another central Jerseyan checking in. Our 3 cars are all gassed up. Two fridges full to the brim and cabinets of canned food. Four cases of drinking water (35 tall bottles each case) from Costco. Filled large pots and pans with cooking water and bathtub and a few buckets with sanitarian water. Flush lights ready. Decent supply of batteries. We are at a high ground so flooding is not a concern. But lots of trees around pose a different type of threat.
    You are prepared!

Anyone who has a refrigerator with an ice maker - make sure you empty it if you lose power. If it melts in the ice maker, you'll have a major mess.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Too bad there's nothing funny about Kelleys6th's post in the slightest. Shallow, vacuous, & self-centered, yes. A joke, absolutely not.
    she probably has over 700 channels on her tv, i'm pretty sure she had all the emergency tv info that she needed
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I knew that this was Hurricane Sandy when I went outside and started to get pelted with rain mixed with seasoning packets...
    and since she never uses fresh ingredients and all her dishes could survive a nuclear winter, I'd say the only thing Cuomo needs to stockpile now is antacid.

I am also making ice. We're clearly going to need a few cocktails to ride this out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleys6th View Post
    OK New York Metro area....hurricane Sandy won't even start raining here until tomorrow. So, WHY DID THEY PRE-EPT SKATE CANADA TODAY?!!!!!
    We get so little figure skating on free TV each season. I really don't care hearing about the same news for 2 hours when they SHOULD BE BROADCASTING SKATE CANADA!!
    Just had to vent. Sorry........

That reminds me of how in the early days of YouTube the only available video of Sasha Cohen's program at some event (I think Skate Canada 2003?) was taped by someone clearly living in a storm zone, and half the screen was covered by a huge "STORM WEATHER" warning

Bright and sunny in Atlanta this morning, but the temperature dropped by like 20 degrees in the last 2 days I guess it's passed us by. I'm so thankful that we didn't lose power - I hear power here isn't all that stable (I just moved here two months ago), but I'm thinking it can't be worse than Pepco up in MD. Noooo more of that, please...

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts last night - and sending my thoughts to those still in the way!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Anyone who has a refrigerator with an ice maker - make sure you empty it if you lose power. If it melts in the ice maker, you'll have a major mess.
    Oooooh. I wouldn't have thought of that one. Thanks.

My work made us come in to work today. And thank goodness I'm here. If I weren't here to revise the can images in that product brochure...
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post

And are you sure there wasn't any alcohol in that rain?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    My work (in Boston) still hasn't canceled despite the mayor asking people to stay home and the T is shutting down at 2:00. I stayed home anyway - I almost got trapped in the city in 1991, never again.

vCash
    Looks like 3/4 of my company are working from home today. I'll probably stay home tomorrow since the storm is expected to pick up tonight and tomorrow.

I'm just glad I didn't have any vacation flights scheduled for this week.

vCash
    The crew of the HMS Bounty had to abandon ship in the storm, and two are missing:
    http://news.yahoo.com/14-rescued-2-m...132009536.html
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Absolutely dead here at work. Phone is just not ringing, which is great because it means I have more time to play catch-up after being out on a week's vacation last week. Any bad weather we're supposed to get won't start until later on this afternoon.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Apparently the governor of CT has just announced that the highways in the state are being closed at 1 pm.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ane-sandy.html Stay safe everyone!. Very sad about the Bounty, but the crew is safe. She was a beauty....majestic. We saw her last summer in Lunenburg N.S.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    In NYC, the Holland and Brooklyn Battery tunnels will close at 2pm.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    It's windy here but the rain hasn't started falling. So far so good with electricity and internet.

My mail just got delivered, which I find rather impressive. Well, the delivery part at least. My mail itself was extremely non-impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ane-sandy.html Stay safe everyone!. Very sad about the Bounty, but the crew is safe.
    Did you actually look at, let alone read, the article? Two (possibly three) crew members are not safe; they're missing.

vCash
    It's raining here, lightly. Wind is fairly strong. I did my 3 mile walk early, so I got it in today . I filled lots of zip lock bags with ice and filled the freezer. Now, I've shut off the ice maker. Going to take a shower, while I can still blow dry my hair. Nothing we can do,now, but wait and hope for the best. My daughter's fiancé was told yesterday that his office was closed. They called him this morning and told him to come in for a half day. Ridiculous, they are not in a field where they needed to go in today! Lots of road closings around NJ. Garden State Parkway is closed south of exit 38. Mail was delivered early. Township is already calling to alert that there will be no trash collection tomorrow.

To everyone in the storm's path - Please be safe.

And if we lose power for too many days and the numerous containers of spaghetti sauce (I have frozen in my freezer) defrosts, I am having a huge pasta party!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    It's windy here but the rain hasn't started falling. So far so good with electricity and internet.

My mail just got delivered, which I find rather impressive. Well, the delivery part at least. My mail itself was extremely non-impressive.
    Haven't gone down to see how non impressive my mail is, but I also saw a USPS truck. Much earlier than usual, but I still hadn't expected it.

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast