Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    Greyhound just cancelled the buses to NYC, so we're not leaving tonight. It's sad but given the situation even if the group decided to go I may have stayed at home. Thanks to all of you who helped me with this. It's appreciated!

Again, stay safe everyone!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    What the hell is taking OPM so long to close the government? those of us who follow gov schedules would appreciate it, guys.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo isn’t taking chances with the approach of Hurricane Sandy: He’s declared a state of emergency in New York in preparation for Hurricane Sandy,
    Not to make light of a serious situation, but that line made me laugh...isn't Cuomo's live-in girlfriend Sandra Lee?

Hope everyone stays safe! Here in Philly there is mass-panic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Thank you for the information. That means that even if we somehow reach NYC, we'll be stuck in the bus station if the subway is still now working (and it probably won't).
    Good thing the trip was cancelled. If the tunnels and bridges are closed, you wouldn't get through anyway.

Atlantic City area - extensive evacuations. Most of the NJ shore towns are evacuated, some optional, most mandatory. My brother lives in a shore town, but he's up on a hill, so he's staying. JCP&L is saying we will probably lose power for 7 - 10 days! I'm worried about a tree on the side of our house, it's bent toward our house and is huge. We were going to take it down last year, after the snow storm, but .... we didn't. The grocery stores have been mad houses. Not a canned good, water, or boxed milk to be found! Cars are in the garage, son's is under the deck. They are now saying the wind will start getting bad tonight/early tomorrow morning. The worst will be late Monday afternoon into Tuesday. Well, at least we'll get to watch Revenge tonight.

vCash
    all school systems are closed, I teach in a private school and so far we are open tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    Not to make light of a serious situation, but that line made me laugh...isn't Cuomo's live-in girlfriend Sandra Lee?
    I foresee the title of the next Sandra Lee thread!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Basement things that can be put up are up. Windows duct taped in our breezeway - they're old and aluminum and leak every storm. Lots of water jugs filled (including 5 gallons for the & Barn cat will be dragged in soon. Flashlights ready, everything that can be charged is charged. My son thinks I'm insane. I hope he's right and we don't get the expected 6+ inches of rain.

vCash
    I'm worried about the gutters on the house. We usually wait for most of the leaves to fall before we get the gutters cleared. And we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the roof.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I foresee the title of the next Sandra Lee thread!

I thought this was the next Sandra Lee thread.

vCash
    Good luck to everyone in the way of Sandy. Hope it turns out not to be too bad but you never know with storms.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I'm worried about the gutters on the house. We usually wait for most of the leaves to fall before we get the gutters cleared. And we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the roof.
    try and borrow a ladder if you can as its the main cause of flooding in heavy rainfall?? The only good news for us is with all this rain we won't get all the leaves from the park opposite us as usually they all blow onto our property.. we are just cleaning out our gutters as expecting so much rain.. i'm more worried about our cold front that is going to meet up with the hurricane which likely will mean a lot of snow for us.. but i'm sure what we get will be nothing compared to further south in New York state..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Anticipating a full house tomorrow, we have a generator, so far my mother and father in law and my sister in law and her family are camping out at my house.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    try and borrow a ladder if you can as its the main cause of flooding in heavy rainfall?? The only good news for us is with all this rain we won't get all the leaves from the park opposite us as usually they all blow onto our property.. we are just cleaning out our gutters as expecting so much rain.. i'm more worried about our cold front that is going to meet up with the hurricane which likely will mean a lot of snow for us.. but i'm sure what we get will be nothing compared to further south in New York state..
    Our neighbors are calling us to see if we have a ladder. I don't think we're going to be able to do anything at this point. Also, our garage is basement level, and at the back of the house. So, since the basement is above ground in the back, the roof is 3 stories high! I don't think I'd let my husband go up there, even if we could find a ladder.

I'm just hoping it won't be as cold as it was last year. It's in the mid 50's, so we are fine without heat, if it stays that warm. Last year, we just couldn't get warm for days.

Judiz, I just realized we're related! Can I come too?

vCash
    Have to admit I'm glad not to have home ownership responsibilities right now, or concerns about basement flooding. Also grateful to have a carport spot.

Still not looking forward to the power outage though, ugh. A gas stove will have to be a priority at this rate for the next place I move to.

Take care everyone - praying for no major damage, especially for those of you who already suffered from Irene/the freak October snowstorm last year.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

I'm just hoping it won't be as cold as it was last year. It's in the mid 50's, so we are fine without heat, if it stays that warm. Last year, we just couldn't get warm for days.
    Do you have a fireplace, cruisin?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Do you have a fireplace, cruisin?
    She does, but her chimney got blown out by lightning in a freak storm a few months ago. Cruisey, you ever get that chimney fixed??
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    She does, but her chimney got blown out by lightning in a freak storm a few months ago. Cruisey, you ever get that chimney fixed??
    Good memory! The chimney did, finally, get fixed. They fixed the bricks about two months ago. But when they tried to put the new liner in for the cold chimney, they saw that the inner base of the chimney was damaged and the liner would not go all of the way down. We actually have two fireplaces, the one that was hit is wood burning and that chimney has the cold flue (exhaust for the hot water heater and furnaces) and the fireplace flue in it. We couldn't turn on the heat until the liner was fixed, or the house would fill up with carbon monoxide. The delay was because the initial quote didn't reflect having to fix the inside of the chimney, they didn't know it was damaged until they went in. so, the insurance company fought with us, a little. The eventually agreed to pay it. We waited, because the furnace is older and we figured that it would make more sense to replace the furnace with a new higher efficiency one, that vents directly outside, if we had to pay it ourselves. Everything is fixed now, over $10,000 worth of damage - between the chimney, the house alarm, the garage doors, my wireless router, and the phones. The insurance company covered it, we just paid a $500.00 deductible.

The other fireplace is gas, but it doesn't really put out much heat. Lots of blankets and my dog to snuggle

vCash
    You got the repairs done just in time, crusin!
    Stay safe, everyone!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    So the wood burning one is fixed? Or not? If it is, you'll have heat - always a good thing.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    So the wood burning one is fixed? Or not? If it is, you'll have heat - always a good thing.
    They both work now. The wood burning one is better for heat, and it's a smaller room, so it is more effective. The only problem is that we rarely use it and it doesn't have a fireplace screen. One more thing, we need to remedy!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast