Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    They came and removed the tree from on top of my house today! I took lots of pictures so my daughter can see when she gets home from school.

My work is closed again today. They thought they maybe could open this afternoon, but now it's looking like it'll be tomorrow.
    How bad is your roof? Do you have a tarp over it? Have you contacted your insurance company yet. If not, do so ASAP. I know that they are aware of the hurricane, but the earlier you process the claim, the faster they'll get the funds to you. We had to pay, out of pocket for our chimney/lightning strike episode. Cost us $10,000.00, we were reimbursed all but the $500.00 deductible. And, if you have State Farm, and your roof is two stories, they won't come and look at it themselves. Apparently SF won't go any higher than a first floor roof. So, they rely on whoever you bring in to give you a quote. At least that's what happened with us.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I posted this in the election thread in PI, but thought it would help to post here as well.

Here is a very good resource for people who are looking for information on voting and are dealing with Hurrican Sandy: http://www.866ourvote.org/. They have an app that allows voter to verify their registration, look up their polling place, look up key rules and regulations about the voting in their state, and even contact people for help if they have trouble.

There also is an election hotline -- 1-866-OUR-VOTE -- that will connect you to volunteer attorneys who can answer questions about voting procedures. (I can't guarantee that you'll get me or my colleagues.)

Specifically, for people displaced by Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey, there is information here -- http://www.866ourvote.org/newsroom/n...ection-changes -- about special procedures for the election and New York polling place changes. Be aware that there may be more changes over the course of today.
    I tried the website and the links - they don't recognize my address.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Power's back!
    Yay! My daughter's came back today, as well. Actually, we were especially happy that hers came back. Their condo is down a little hill. And the sewage line has a pump that pumps it up the hill. The sewage pump has been running on a generator, for the last week. Everyone was terrified about what would happen if it stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I read that their was a 2.0 magnitude earthquake in NJ. You poor things! My heart goes out to you.
    From what I understand the quake was not too bad. We didn't feel it at all.

vCash
    Quake was in North Jersey. I'm still waiting for Dennis Quaid to go by the house with a sled. This has totally been a big budget horror movie in my state!

Parts of Brick are being evacuated ahead of the Nor'Easter coming in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I tried the website and the links - they don't recognize my address.
    That's strange. Try calling the phone number. If there is a systemic issue, the people advising New Jersey residents probably have a work-around. If not, they will want to know if there are problems with the links. The Lawyer's Committee people really are dedicated to making sure everyone can vote regardless of party affiliation.

If you would PM your address, I also can forward it some people and see if I can get some information for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    That's strange. Try calling the phone number. If there is a systemic issue, the people advising New Jersey residents probably have a work-around. If not, they will want to know if there are problems with the links. The Lawyer's Committee people really are dedicated to making sure everyone can vote regardless of party affiliation.

If you would PM your address, I also can forward it some people and see if I can get some information for you.
    Thanks, but I called the municipal building and they gave me the info. I tried my address on several of the voting location sites, none of them recognized my address.

vCash
    I was able to get gas in Newburgh, NY last night, after class. I saw the stations there were all open, with no lines, so I stopped. They only had high octane, so I gave my car a treat.

Still no ability to go in to work this morning - but the utility company is working in the building now, so we're hopeful for this afternoon.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Yay for gas.

My daughter's work made it back to Weehawken today, well one of their buildings is trashed, but they fit everyone else in the other building/s.

Since she was with us in PA until Sunday, she did not mail her out of state voting ballot until today. My friend who works at the polls gave me the phone number of our local county voting people, they said it had to be received by 8pm tonight, buggers.

I missed the noon news, what is happening with this second storm, does PA need to worry?
    Last edited by Lacey; 11-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Last I heard on the radio, it may stay farther out to sea than first expected. I hope so.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    http://news.yahoo.com/good-news-coas...154911903.html

Nor'easter to weaken, per this Yahoo article. Still very windy for the coast through not as bad as originally feared, thank goodness!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Yes, they are, now, saying it will not come as close as they first thought. And it doesn't seem to be packing as much punch as they initially thought. However, with the weakened condition of the trees and telephone poles, it won't take as much. The shore area will bear the brunt of it, which is not good. They are also very concerned with flying debris. The people restoring the shore towns are now focused on trying to build some semblance of a barrier back up. That is slowing down everything, but has to be attempted.

vCash
    There are a decent number of trees half-uprooted in my neighborhood. Won't take much to push them over. Hopefully, not onto my house this time.

Still no work, but they got the power on at around 4pm today, so we're back at work tomorrow.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    From the sound of things, it sounds like the major concern is the cold temps and snow that will/could be coming w/this new system.

Hope it doesn't end up being as bad as it could possibly be. Stay safe everyone!!

vCash
    I missed the local news at both 12pm and 6pm, but I think they are forecasting 3-4 inches of wet snow for Philly. UGH!

And those poor people in NJ, NY so do not need this. Some of them are already freezing just from the low temperatures, I cannot imagine snow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I missed the local news at both 12pm and 6pm, but I think they are forecasting 3-4 inches of wet snow for Philly. UGH!

And those poor people in NJ, NY so do not need this. Some of them are already freezing just from the low temperatures, I cannot imagine snow.
    I know, it was 47 - 48 degrees in my house by Sunday. We got power back Sunday night. I can only imagine how cold it would be here if we had not gotten power. Last year when we had the Halloween snow storm it dropped to 41 degrees in the house, it was awful!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Thinking of all those who are still trying to recover from Sandy and are now braced for the arrival of Athena (the nor'easter). Stay safe everyone!
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    This nor'easter is making me nervous. If we lose power again, it will be even colder. And, for those who still do not have power, it will make it harder to get them up and running. This is just a mess on top of a disaster.

vCash
    Is there any news on temporary housing for those who lost everything or are in areas close to the shore (no power and another storm moving in?)

vCash
    They are evacuating some towns. As far as power, we just don't know. Another big concern is that the trees that went down are still here. Cut up and piled in the streets. In some places barely enough room for one car to get through. If we get (in the north western parts of NJ) the 6" + of snow they are predicting - the plows won't get through. If the snow can't be removed and we lose power again, this will be a nightmare!

Just an FYI, Governor Christie only got his power back on Monday night. No favorites here!

vCash
    Sending support to all of you in the path of the nor'easter.

vCash
    Snowing here.

And the alphabet starts again. Hmpf. Athena.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast