Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I heard that a group of power workers from the south got to New Jersey to help with the power restoration but were turned away because they weren't unionized. If that true? If so, how awful.
    This appears to be the real story.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...away-from-n.j/
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I heard that a group of power workers from the south got to New Jersey to help with the power restoration but were turned away because they weren't unionized. If that true? If so, how awful.
    !
    Definitely UNTRUE They are not turning away any offers for help.

vCash
    Now THAT is good news! I was hoping something positive would come from the whole marathon fiasco.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I'm also learning more from FSU than from the news media! good luck to everyone. cruisin', seriously, if you need a break PRkid moved back to her dad's on Friday and her clean, nice room is empty. (Don't know if the trains are moving down to DC from your closest Amtrak stop, I think they are.) Let me know if you want to visit a warm spot. We could go shopping.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Love you PRLady.

Tranquillo
    vCash

vCash
    Fantastic and good for them. I was hoping something positive was going to come out of that whole mess.

vCash
    Got a gas alert, and since I'm an even number, I figured I'd better go for it. Been on line for 1 and a half hours, so far!

vCash
    Hang in there!
    Thinking of you...

vCash
    Have a full tank of gas. Two hours on line! Now, if we just had some heat! At least it hasn't dropped below 49 degrees in the house, but that's still cold! Fingers are stiff. Going for my power walk now, that will warm me up!

Hope everyone is doing better - hugs to all!

vCash
    DD made it home to Philly from Boston after her trip up Thursday, she gassed up somewhere near Hartford again, whole trip only took 5 hours, sort of made a mistake and went over the GW instead of TZ, actually I have been told that is 1/2 hour shorter. Now she has to bus back to Manhattan, her apartment got power yesterday, and work has reassigned her, after basically one week off, from Weehawken to one of the midtown offices for 1-3 weeks.

vCash
    Coworker, her daughter, and their left here last night about 11:30 - their power came back on finally. Another coworker is still without power (she's near Flemington). Her husband's had a generator running, but it's not enough to keep the house warm. She's tossed her fridge and freezer so far.

I bought creamer yesterday from a local supermarket - it curdled immediately when I used it today. Ick. Also bought some 'fresh' chicken from them, it was frozen in the middle. I'll be making a call to our local health department tomorrow when they open.

Looks like my son's chosen career is now 'hot' for a few months - he wants to be a carpenter. He'll be getting some training soon, a friend's shore house is destroyed, a group of us will be getting together to help her rebuild.

vCash
    Happy to hear about any progress toward normalcy.
    I hope it continues,

vCash
    Due to lack of power, gas rationing began in12 NJ counties:
    The rationing ordered by Gov. Christie mandates odd-even fuel sales in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Morris, Monmouth, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex Union and Warren counties. The last number on a car's license plate determines which day it can by fuel: odd numbers buy on odd days, even on even days.
    The ration order will remain in effect for as long as the limited declared state of energy emergency is in effect.

I live in Morris county and the lines are very very long. People are getting very frustrated so it's good that the Police officers check that everyone follows the new rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Definitely UNTRUE They are not turning away any offers for help.
    In a press conference, the Governor of NJ addressed this. He said that the crew was non-union, and when they hit Virginia, they heard that NJ was a union state. So they stopped and called. They were then told that they couldn't work in NJ without being union, which the Gov said was dead wrong. The situation was that they were given misinformation. Many out-of-state crews working in NJ right now are non-union.

So this crew was told they could not come. But the person who told them that was wrong.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Got a gas alert, and since I'm an even number, I figured I'd better go for it. Been on line for 1 and a half hours, so far!
    What is a "gas alert"? Did you sign up for something?

Anyone know when power in Upper Saddle River is scheduled to go back on? I don't see that town on any of the lists on the nj.gov site. I also don't see Ramsey on those lists.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Now that is disgusting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    What is a "gas alert"? Did you sign up for something?
    I believe that cruisin was talking about the gas rationing rule which has began in12 NJ counties.
    In my previous post I gave more details about the odd-even fuel sales in those counties.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    My town doesn't have a gas alert but there is an emergency alert. You can sign up in advance on the town website and they'll have an automated call giving you the updates from the town website about when and where shelters are open, when there will be deliveries of water and dry ice, and any estimated restoration times.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast