Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    To those wondering about Generators, give me at least an hour or two so I can grill the Parents. We had to get one due to our location and at the time, Dad was also on at home Dialysis. When we use it, we have power upstairs in our Dining area and to the fridge and microwave. Also so we have water available. Since we have a wood burning stove, we're okay on that front whenever we lose power, but it's also good to know that generator's there and ready to go for the other stuff too.

Marge, as you work at a Hospital you might know this... How are things Kidney Dialysis wise? You need clean water for that to take place, as well as power and considering my health history and now my Dad on Dialysis...Obviously, we've been wondering and worried for those who very well could be unable to get their treatments due to Sandy's effects.

Oh and I bumped up the Crafting thread here to get things started at least in the way of stuff we here at FSU could make and in turn donate to the Red Cross and related organizations. You're there though and would know more than me what needs to be added to the quick list I posted off the top of my head a few minutes ago.

Great to know you're okay and you and all of the health professionals are true heroes in all of this. Right up there w/the First Responders.

vCash
    Christie is handling this brilliantly. He is providing so much information, in a calm, coordinated way. I really hope he does run in 2016. That might be a good reason for me to hope there won't be a republican incumbent

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Two hydro crews have travelled from Canada's Capital to help out - originally it was to be one but a 2nd one was added and was headed to CT. They mentioned that a crew from CT helped out here after the ice storm and it felt good to "return the favour".

Good luck to everyone impacted - hope we hear from Southpaw soon!
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    DD, who has been stuck with us west of Philly all week because there have been no trains to NYC, wanted to get to Boston today for grad school open house tomorrow. She was supposed to take a flight out of JFK. I was really actually glad she was stuck with me because her roommates couldn't even pee in apt because there was no power to flush. Her job is really in Weehawken, which was flooded. She has spent many weeks at various other of her company's offices, but they needed any space for the big whigs, so her boss was really understanding that she was locked out. Anyway Plan B or C or D (she missed another grad school Open House here Monday because university closed) was to drive to Boston from our house and circumvent NYC.

HUGE SHOUT OUT TO MY FSU ANGEL, not sure I can expose her, I PMed her and said that it seemed from the National Network News that our normal route north up 95 seemed to go through many parts of NJ and CT that had flooded out, all of the towns were little red dots on a map of drowned cities that they flashed on the screen. FSU friend worked out a choice of going through Hartford or through Albany. DH chose the former, I was still second guessing him that Albany might have had better gas choices this morning. I was sick with worry, woke up at 1:30 freaking out. This is my laid back child who would let the gas almost run out and then go looking for it, like what's the problem, she and her father are good foils for worry wart me. Well, thank you FSU friend, DD made it. She said the lines for gas on the GSParkway were unreal, so she just whizzed by. Gassed up somewhere around Hartford and got to Boston in 6 hours, which is about normal. Spending weekend with her BF from growing up. I really do love FSU for keeping me alert about the storm, the gas thing, and for helping me find someone who could help. Here's hoping DD's way home to us on Sunday is uneventful, that her bus back to NYC that night actually gets through the tunnel and that she gets power.

vCash
    We went to a restaurant where we have wifi. They also are letting people use electricity to dry their hair, etc. came with soaking wet hair and ran into the ladies room and dried my hair. I feel human, at least for a day or so . On the way we passed a gas station, that had gas. The line of cars was more than 2 miles. The line of people carrying multiple red containers for gas, almost as long! Some people had 10 or more containers. I hope they are limiting how much each person can have.

Southpaw - contact us! We need to hear from you.

I heard that we will not have power for at least another 2 days, maybe more. All of the ice and frozen food is defrosting in my freezer. I opened it to get milk, this morning and the whole bottom of the freezer was full of water. My son and his GF went to her place and I sent the semi-frozen food with them. I will (maybe) get tomorrow morning's worth of milk, then we're done. We live on canned tuna and soup until we get power. Or we go out to eat, dinner, at least.

Saw fire trucks at the grimy store, this afternoon, loading up. I assume they are bringing food to people who need it. Yay RFD! Especially since they are volunteer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    DD, who has been stuck with us west of Philly all week because there have been no trains to NYC, wanted to get to Boston today for grad school open house tomorrow...
    She should gas up in Mass (cheaper than CT) or in CT (in or before Hartford) before she heads south to come back home, for sure.

The US military has used large cargo planes to move utility repair trucks and crews from California to NY (Stewart Air Force Base.) Those California crews have already started their work here in NY and NJ.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

I heard that we will not have power for at least another 2 days, maybe more. All of the ice and frozen food is defrosting in my freezer. I opened it to get milk, this morning and the whole bottom of the freezer was full of water. My son and his GF went to her place and I sent the semi-frozen food with them. I will (maybe) get tomorrow morning's worth of milk, then we're done. We live on canned tuna and soup until we get power. Or we go out to eat, dinner, at least.
    The utility companies up in my county are giving out dry ice at specific locations. Are they doing that down in NJ? Here, they list the sites and hours they're doing this daily on the local newspaper's website. Might help you keep your food for longer, if it's offered where you are.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Southpaw - contact us! We need to hear from you.

Don't encourage her - she's watching.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post

The US military has used large cargo planes to move utility repair trucks and crews from California to NY (Stewart Air Force Base.) Those California crews have already started their work here in NY and NJ.
    Yay Air Force! Probably C17's and they carry a lot of cargo.
    Last edited by milanessa; 11-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    The utility companies up in my county are giving out dry ice at specific locations. Are they doing that down in NJ? Here, they list the sites and hours they're doing this daily on the local newspaper's website. Might help you keep your food for longer, if it's offered where you are.
    Dry ice is so cold that it'll burn you without gloves, but at least it doesn't melt into liquid. And it's COLD!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yay Air Force! Probably 317's and they carry a lot of cargo.
    C-5s and C-17s, carrying 62 service vehicles and over 100 crewmembers.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    C-5s and C-17s, carrying 62 service vehicles and over 100 crewmembers.
    My typo.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    No dry ice that I'm aware of. Will empty everything tomorrow. Then do I leave the fridge and freezer doors open or can I close them? It is taking on that funky smell already.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    My Parents both say to do your homework when buying a Generator, but Mom says to make sure you get one w/an electric start on it. Otherwise, you're stuck w/a pull chain thing, which is a pain and a half to get started.

There's also over 150 Hydro Ontario crews on their way to help bring power back in the Boston area according to CTV Toronto's supper hour cast. Hope they have a safe trip down and no one's hurt while doing their job.

vCash

vCash
    My best friend texted me her last text for awhile. The power company came, saw the damage and said it was too extensive, her neighborhood is now at the bottom of the list. Her 8 day estimate got much longer. :/ I wish she had a generator. She said she can't waste gas going to friend's homes to charge because in her area there is no more gas.

vCash
    No dry ice that I'm aware of. Will empty everything tomorrow. Then do I leave the fridge and freezer doors open or can I close them? It is taking on that funky smell already.
    I would recommend airing it out, especially with the funky smell, but it depends on if it's still humid there. In SoCal I can defrost a lab freezer (read: major ice on all shelves) and it'll be dry inside the next day. I don't think you guys are that lucky on the east coast...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    My best friend texted me her last text for awhile. The power company came, saw the damage and said it was too extensive, her neighborhood is now at the bottom of the list. Her 8 day estimate got much longer. :/ I wish she had a generator. She said she can't waste gas going to friend's homes to charge because in her area there is no more gas.
    Are any of her friends and relatives close enough to pick her up and take her somewhere?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    GJust wanted to check in. I have been with a friend since Sat. My town still has ay travel ban because of the sewer.Don't know when I can go home. We got power back last night and phone service. The exterior of my house appears to be fine, according to a friend who stayed. Have no idea what is inside. On an iPad, hence, the errors. Heart-broken for many of my friends and for the many who have lost every thing. Xo to all.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    We are having trouble finding a cousin on Brigantine Island and we thought the family evacuated but we have not heard anything. My father was the oldest of seven siblings and the large, extended family is a-ok (mainly in Camden county and Atlantic City.) But we have not been able to contact his cousin. I am hoping it is just the pandemonium that accompanies these tragedies. I am glad the FSU community is checking in and hanging in there.

Have you heard yet? Brigs tine lifted the travel ban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Are any of her friends and relatives close enough to pick her up and take her somewhere?
    Her area was hit hard. They are very, very lucky, most of her neighborhood was greatly damaged.

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast