Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    All of my friends are accounted for, except one out on Matha's Vineyard, which was hit hard. NJ friends have water in their house, no power, cars under water, but they're safe, just soggy. It could have been a lot worse.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    We got power back yesterday evening and Comcast is at work as I speak trying to get our internet back up. :Cheer2: I ran my phone as a hotspot last night so we were able to get online for as long as we wanted. OMG, these images floating all over the news sites are harrowing. I saw a picture on CNN of my old neighborhood in MD with power lines and poles and streetlights down and all over the place.

Fortunately my parents in DC, aunt and uncle + cousins in NJ, and old housemates in MD have all been accounted for. So relieved there.

vCash
    Cachoo, hope you've contacted your cousin.

Still no power here. Not even any sign of local work being done yet. I haven't seen photos yet, since I can only use my phone. I have heard radio reports and from family and friends further south and east. Food in fridge will have to go today. Freezer, probably tomorrow, ice is starting to melt. We are, so, getting a generator!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Still no power, but no damage at my house. Work is up and running, so I can recharge my cell phone and get some warm food there.

Thoughts are with everyone suffering bad property damage or who can't be reached yet.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    OMG, these images floating all over the news sites are harrowing.
    The one that gets me is the one taken of a NYC parking garage, with the cars all in a heap up against one of the brick walls, and almost completely covered with water, like they were flung there by some giant hand.

vCash
    The gut wrenching stories continue. Thanks for letting us know that you are safe (all who posted). I hope things will get better from now on.

vCash
    Sending continuing support to all those affected by this.

vCash
    Some NYC subway service may be restored tomorrow.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Garr, thanks for your help re: planes and trains. Think at this point DD is going to skip NYC and the JFK plane reservation and take my car and drive around from Philly to Boston on Thurs. and back on Sun. Her boss is being very understanding, Weehawken is not open and they don't have enough Manhattan offices for everyone to spread out this week so he's ok with her not being there. Besides I don't want her to return to NYC with no power, food or way to pee in her apartment. If she can get a bus from Philly to NYC on Sun night, she'll see if power is on and go back or go to friends uptown. Her bf has been in China on business trip, he has car so is possible way out of NY if she ever gets back there, if Penn Station is flooded, trains may not be an option for a while.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Oh I wish I could post the photo of the house of an acquaintance of mine. Or should I say former house -- it is really half a house now with the whole roof still there. Half the 3 story house was washed away from under the roof. She lived on the Raritan Bay in NJ. The weird thing is that in the rubble that was the other half of her house, there is not one recognizable piece of furniture or personal belongings on the ground. And nothing on the street or in neighbors yards. They were all just pulled back into the bay I guess. All you can see is bricks and sticks. But the satellite dish is still attached on the front.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I think the beach fronts along the entire coast should be declared no build zones within one mile of the sea. It would save millions and millions of dollars when the inevitable storms hit that cost us all in terms of insurance premiums and governmental assistance. If returned to the wetlands and barrier islands that existed there before all the construction, inland storm intensity would be reduced.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Cachoo, hope you've contacted your cousin.

Still no power here. Not even any sign of local work being done yet. I haven't seen photos yet, since I can only use my phone. I have heard radio reports and from family and friends further south and east. Food in fridge will have to go today. Freezer, probably tomorrow, ice is starting to melt. We are, so, getting a generator!
    cruisin --- where are you?
    I saw a flyover view of the barrier islands near Atlantic City and one thing is clear: They are not habitable right now. My problem is we have Joe and Jenny's info but we don't have their sons' info. I am going with no news is good news as I cannot believe his very responsible sons would not have evacuated them before the storm moved in or found a way to get them off after the storm if Joe was stubborn. I hope Joe wasn't stubborn. The houses there look like they are sitting on sand dunes.

vCash
    Does anyone in NJ know where residents of Hoboken evacuated to? My co-worker's daughter lives in Hoboken and he can't reach her. They want to drive down to get her but don't know where the shelters are.

vCash
    Just talked to my friend on Martha's Vineyard. She's fine and has power and phone now so that's everyone on my list accounted for.

My tiny hometown has set up a Facebook page listing streets without power that they've been in contact with National Grid about already. Yet people are still whining and complaining about having to wait. One woman posted that she's called NG five times in two days and still is the only one on her street without power. Um, lady, read the list! There's 400 sites without power and ONE crew in town, working from the substation out. It wouldn't do any good to fix your one pole when there's six other outages between you and the power source. One guy posted that there was a tree down across his street so the pizza guy couldn't get through. Someone else complained that she saw a crew sitting by the road drinking coffee and doing nothing! How dare they have lunch at noontime! Only one person has bothered to thank the service people who have been out since Sunday night dealing with emergencies.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I've heard from my NYC friends (they're staying with friends uptown) and my CT. friends (they're staying with family in Westchester).

I went to my mother's nursing home, which has an emergency generator. They had the most minimal amount of electricity, and my mother's room was cold. Usually they keep things very warm in there, so they must be preserving whatever power they have.

I hope they get power really soon. My mother is the oldest person there (she's 101), but no one there is a spring chicken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I think the beach fronts along the entire coast should be declared no build zones within one mile of the sea. It would save millions and millions of dollars when the inevitable storms hit that cost us all in terms of insurance premiums and governmental assistance. If returned to the wetlands and barrier islands that existed there before all the construction, inland storm intensity would be reduced.
    What do you mean by "the entire coast"? Even Manhattan? That may be desirable on some level, but it's not realistic.

I do agree that the barrier islands along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic Seaboard should be "no-build" areas or else limited to the most limited construction (limited infrastructure for recreation and fishing, maybe, but not homes or most commercial purposes) and that wetland areas should be preserved and restored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Just talked to my friend on Martha's Vineyard. She's fine and has power and phone now so that's everyone on my list accounted for.

My tiny hometown has set up a Facebook page listing streets without power that they've been in contact with National Grid about already. Yet people are still whining and complaining about having to wait. One woman posted that she's called NG five times in two days and still is the only one on her street without power. Um, lady, read the list! There's 400 sites without power and ONE crew in town, working from the substation out. It wouldn't do any good to fix your one pole when there's six other outages between you and the power source. One guy posted that there was a tree down across his street so the pizza guy couldn't get through. Someone else complained that she saw a crew sitting by the road drinking coffee and doing nothing! How dare they have lunch at noontime! Only one person has bothered to thank the service people who have been out since Sunday night dealing with emergencies.
    Sad. The service people have been working tirelessly, from what I heard on TV. At least they deserve some gratitude.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    If you really want to get a generator, I have lots of advice, starting with not buying one quickly from a place like Home Depot. If you want something that will allow you to lead a relatively normal life while the power is out, you will need a big generator and the generators they have at those stores are usually pretty small. We have a huge thing, and we still had to choose between running water (the well pump is a HUGE draw) and heat, which was a no brainer for me. You will also want to have your electrical box worked on, so all you have to do is plug the generator into it.

If you want more info, send me a PM.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I know that I am (re)stating the obvious, here, but PLEASE do not run generators indoors. and the garage does not count as outdoors. The local news said they left the garage door open, which still wasnt enough circulation.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    I think they had a regular door from the garage cracked open to accommodate an electrical chord which went directly from the generator to the 93 year old mother's first floor hospital bed night table for a lamp in case she woke up at night, her son and wife were on the third floor and were woozy but recovered, the mother did not. I thought the garage door was closed, but enough tragically got in through the cracked door.

Ours is on an outside covered but open porch and is wired separately by an electrican to a few appliances, but no door has to be open.

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast