Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    We are having trouble finding a cousin on Brigantine Island and we thought the family evacuated but we have not heard anything. My father was the oldest of seven siblings and the large, extended family is a-ok (mainly in Camden county and Atlantic City.) But we have not been able to contact his cousin. I am hoping it is just the pandemonium that accompanies these tragedies. I am glad the FSU community is checking in and hanging in there.

Just me
    vCash
    Once these things are over, the worst part is waiting to hear people are all right.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    (((Cacho))) It must be really hard waiting to hear from relatives.

I just found this useful site that lists how we can help:

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...-can-help?lite

vCash
    I tried calling my friend in NYC who I know doesn't have power and a friend in CT who probably doesn't have power, and with both of them I've gotten circuit busy signals.

There are phone issues along with all the other problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    (((Cacho))) It must be really hard waiting to hear from relatives.

I just found this useful site that lists how we can help:

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...-can-help?lite
    Vash thanks and this is a great site---I've been thinking about how depleted the food banks will be after this.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    This: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=423537294368919 belies the idea that the storm was somehow less damaging than expected. Not if you're on the Jersey shore, it wasn't.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    However, I do have a 60 foot tree on top of my house, so...
    Call your insurance company before you do anything about it. When a tree fell on our house in a side effect from a hurricane, we removed it ourselves and it caused all kinds of problems with our homeowners' insurance, even after the insurance company agreed that it would have been weeks before we could have gotten a tree company to come and do it for us.

Also, take pictures. That helped us, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I tried calling my friend in NYC who I know doesn't have power and a friend in CT who probably doesn't have power, and with both of them I've gotten circuit busy signals.

There are phone issues along with all the other problems.
    Missing, I hope your friends are OK.

I just checked with a coworker who has family & friends in NYC. He said they are all OK.

vCash
    I am looking at pictures on CNN and they are extraordinary. NYC's subway system is underwater.

vCash

vCash
    The Jersey Shore has been destroyed, all the rides on the piers have been blown out to sea.

vCash
    Anyone know anything about the trains from NYC to Boston? DD who has been stuck here in Philly since the trains stopped wants to go out of Philly Thursday morning (so far they're not running tomorrow) from Philly to NYC, check in at her job at an alternate site since she cannot get to Weehawken, and then plane to Boston Thurs night for possible grad school open house. I told her planes are too backed up (she does have res, but still?), and to maybe take a train, it might be a better go. And she doesn't want to stop at her apt in NYC because there is no power, no food, and no water, much less can one even pee there.

vCash
    Power is now back on after more than 24 hours. Neighbors and I cheered. Kudos to PSE&G. I was totally thinking it would take somewhere close to a week to restore power.

Big trees behind our houses were uprooted but thankfully they fell into the woods, the opposite to the houses. Even in Central Jersey we saw the big blue green lights from Manhattan last night. A spectacular and frightening sight.

Through my iPhone and a Walkman radio (remember those?) I learned of the devastation in New Jersey and New York. Jersey Shore will never be the same.

My thoughts are with anyone affected. Stay safe!

vCash
    I think I'm going to attempt the 2hr bus ride into the city tomorrow. Urrrgh.

My friend who lives in the UWS (walking distance to my job) says I can stay with her for a couple of days.

vCash
    My brother in so jersey has his power back. Surprised they got it back, they were told it wouldn't be until the 5th of nov. My parents in Cleveland do not have power back. They are bunking with me in the meantime.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Some power back in Bergen County, New Jersey but not in my neighborhood. PSE&G said four transformers exploded during the storm in my town and wires are still hanging loose all over the place.

vCash
    Still no power or phones at my work in Bergen County, NJ. For the first time ever, my work is cancelled, but my husband has to go.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Toronto apparently did not totally escape Sandy's wrath. Some trees and branches were strewn about and at least one death blamed on the weather.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ada-storm.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Anyone know anything about the trains from NYC to Boston? DD who has been stuck here in Philly since the trains stopped wants to go out of Philly Thursday morning (so far they're not running tomorrow) from Philly to NYC, check in at her job at an alternate site since she cannot get to Weehawken, and then plane to Boston Thurs night for possible grad school open house. I told her planes are too backed up (she does have res, but still?), and to maybe take a train, it might be a better go. And she doesn't want to stop at her apt in NYC because there is no power, no food, and no water, much less can one even pee there.
    I'm thinking her best option is bus. Amtrack just said it's restoring some service from points south to Newark, NJ; and from points north to Boston. However, there is no service into or out of NYC. NYC Penn is flooded. They do not have a forecast for when service will be restored.

There are commuter buses running to and from NYC, so that may be an option for her.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast