Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    Stay safe everyone and take care!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    CNN just reported that there is 3 feet of water on the floor of the NYSE.
    They just admitted they got that news from a chat room/social media, and that it isn't true.

This is crazy. Hope you guys are all safe!

vCash
    I haven't lost electricity in spite of scary wind gusts.

I have friends who live in Greenwich Village, and my guess is they're in a blackout. My brother and sister-in-law in Long Branch, NJ haven't had power for a few hours.

My windows crackle from the wind. Not a reassuring sound (especially when I'm sitting in front of a window).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    They just admitted they got that news from a chat room/social media, and that it isn't true.

This is crazy. Hope you guys are all safe!
    Thanks. I just saw that and came in to edit my post. Can't believe CNN would report something like that without verifying it first!

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    There have been so many horrible images on TV. I am sorry for all who are experiencing flooding and power outages. We have heavy rain and high winds in my area but, so far, our power has stayed on. The house phone is making crazy noises but my cell phone that normally doesn't work very well inside my house has been fine.

This weirdo was on one of our location news stations this morning: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=1211&sid=3098059. If link doesn't open, google Hurricane Horse.

Our lights just flickered big time. I hope that doesn't mean we're about to lose our power.

Stay safe everyone.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    The reporter on CNN in Atlantic City is driving me nuts. He's standing in thigh-high floodwater, getting buffeted by high winds, and is in an intersection with water coming from from multiple directions. Meanwhile, his cameraman is on dry land not very far away.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    The reporter on CNN in Atlantic City is driving me nuts. He's standing in thigh-high floodwater, getting buffeted by high winds, and is in an intersection with water coming from from multiple directions. Meanwhile, his cameraman is on dry land not very far away.
    Yeah, that's Ali Velshi. He used to do financial news then he had more anchor duties - now I guess he's trying to earn his chops outside the studio.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Ooooh. Governor Christie blasting Mayor Langford about him telling people to go to shelters within Atlantic City and stay there instead of leaving the area.
    Yeah, heard he's really pissed. And rightfully so. Still no power, guess this is it for a while. Our deck door blew open, scared the crap out of us! The dead bolt wasn't on. It is now! Well, I guess it's time for bed and hopes for a better tomorrow.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Classic Noo Yuork / Bruooklyn / Joizey accent from Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz on CNN right now.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    That equipment is expensive!

My cousin in NYC asked if there was such a thing as blue lightning. Turns out it's transformers on power lines exploding.

vCash
    Scary! We haven't really had much yet but it looks like we are in for it tomorrow. A Toronto woman was killed due to flying debris from the wind.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    i have two friends heading to nyc this week- one was to leave on thursday and her trip has been cancelled =( not sure about the one leaving on friday- hope everyone is warm and safe!!

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

Hurricane Sandy

Checking in from Rhode Island. I live in Lincoln, just north of Providence. A few heavy tree branches came down, rolled across the roof and off the other side. Even at the height of Sandy, not too bad.

Stay safe everyone.
    This space for rent.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Glad you're safe, doubleturn.
    3539 and counting.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Oh dear...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...411855054.html

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in New Jersey declared an alert due to high water levels in its water intake structure, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Monday evening. An alert is the second lowest of four levels the NRC uses to characterize events at power plants, and the NRC said conditions were still safe at and around the plant in Lacey Township, N.J., and at all other U.S. nuclear plants.
    Edited to add: looks a bit better than the headline seems.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ane-sandy.html

If ordinary cooling ceased, the pool would take 25 hours to reach the boiling point, he said, giving the operators ample time to take corrective steps. The reactor itself has been shut since Oct. 22 for refueling, so it is relatively cool.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 10-30-2012 at 08:06 AM.

vCash
    As mentioned before - I'm in Brooklyn and my area is OK, within the circumstances. We're on relatively high ground so we were spared a lot of the damage, though I haven't looked outside in hours (just woke up and can't go back to sleep). We were lucky to have power all throughout. The wind was terrifying. The pictures are so scary; IDK when the subway will be back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    As mentioned before - I'm in Brooklyn and my area is OK, within the circumstances. We're on relatively high ground so we were spared a lot of the damage, though I haven't looked outside in hours (just woke up and can't go back to sleep). We were lucky to have power all throughout. The wind was terrifying. The pictures are so scary; IDK when the subway will be back.
    This about describes my experience here in Queens. Very lucky to have not lost power and agree about the wind - truly frightening. Expect to find lots of downed trees in this area though and will be very surprised if Queens Blvd. did not flood. Glad you are ok, Oleada.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Apparently there is an out-of-control fire in Queens. Dozens of homes on fire and 50+ homes burned to the ground. No word on casualties.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I never lost electricity and things just seem breezy outside.

I haven't heard from my friend who lives on the other side of town, so I'm thinking she's probably lost power and/or internet.

My completely arbitrary guess is my area (Orange Ct. NY) got hit a lot harder by Irene.

I'll turn the NYC news on in a few minutes and see how the rest of the world is doing.

vCash
    Things never got too bad here and I never lost power. That said, other parts of my region were hit hard. Haven't assessed the damage but beyond a few branches, everything seems normal. I hope everyone else got through this as well as I did.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast