Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 658

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

  1. #621
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    The 'licensed' requirement is to ensure that it is done properly. Take it from someone whose Aunt and Uncle had a house survive Camille only to burn down from an improperly repaired electric box when the electric came back. It was done by a relative who thought he knew what he was doing.


    Electric work is something one does not fool around with. I'd wait for the professional!

  2. #622
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    JCP&L said they expect 98% of power to be back by midnight tonight, the rest by Sunday.

  3. #623
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    The reason for that is because when a home has been very flooded, and the electrics, including the box, have been submerged, there's a very real risk that if they do restore power, it will start a fire. So they need to have an electrician and etc. in first, to make sure the electrics are safe to be turned back on, before they *can* be turned back on.
    Oh, I do know that and understand that part of it. However, why do these people who have already gone through and still are going through Hell have to do that by themselves? *That's* what has me shaking my head in disbelief and as I said, is just so wrong. That should already be happening and through the respective insurance companies or power corps or even through FEMA somehow.

    These poor people need this help now, but are told it's on them to bring these people in? Not right in any world IMO.

  4. #624
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Oh, I do know that and understand that part of it. However, why do these people who have already gone through and still are going through Hell have to do that by themselves? *That's* what has me shaking my head in disbelief and as I said, is just so wrong. That should already be happening and through the respective insurance companies or power corps or even through FEMA somehow.

    These poor people need this help now, but are told it's on them to bring these people in? Not right in any world IMO.
    The power companies are responsible for the main lines and the lines going into the homes. Anything inside the home is the homeowner's responsibility. FEMA and/or their insurance should cover that expense. But the power companies just don't have the man hours to deal with individual homes. When our house got hit by lightning, it was our responsibility to get an electrician and make sure we had no - inside the wall - problems. The fire department came and checked for "hot spots". But, the next day, we had to have an electrician come and do a thorough check. We also had a problem with our sewage, a few years ago. One of the trees, the township planted, sits right on top of out sewage line. One night, I was doing laundry and all of the water in the washing machine backed up through the toilet in the bathroom next to it. Cleaned it up, called a plumber, the next day. They came and first checked for a blockage outside. They found that the roots of the tree had cut into the sewage line and the line had gradually filled with dirt and rocks. We had to dig up half of our front lawn and replace all of the piping. It cost us about $10,000.00. The township has a hold harmless clause for the "beautification committee", so we had to pay for it ourselves and they did nothing. We can't take the tree down, because while it is on our property, it does not belong to us. We would get a $7,000.00 fine if we take it down. We were told that if it dies and they determine we killed it, we get fined. This is how this stuff works. Not always fair .
    Last edited by cruisin; 11-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.

  5. #625
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The power companies are responsible for the main lines and the lines going into the homes. Anything inside the home is the homeowner's responsibility. FEMA and/or their insurance should cover that expense. But the power companies just don't have the man hours to deal with individual homes. When our house got hit by lightning, it was our responsibility to get an electrician and make sure we had no - inside the wall - problems. The fire department came and checked for "hot spots". But, the next day, we had to have an electrician come and do a thorough check. We also had a problem with our sewage, a few years ago. One of the trees, the township planted, sits right on top of out sewage line. One night, I was doing laundry and all of the water in the washing machine backed up through the toilet in the bathroom next to it. Cleaned it up, called a lumber, the next day. They came and first checked for a blockage outside. They found that the roots of the tree had cut into the sewage line and the line had gradually filled with dirt and rocks. We had to dig up half of our front lawn and replace all of the piping. It cost us about $10,000.00. The township has a hold harmless clause for the "beautification committee", so we had to pay for it ourselves and they did nothing. We can't take the tree down, because while it is on our property, it does not belong to us. We would get a $7,000.00 fine if we take it down. We were told that if it dies and they determine we killed it, we get fined. This is how this stuff works. Not always fair .
    Good grief. Not always fair is correct....Reading this and hearing horror stories about LIPA (don't know how true or false) is disheartening.

  6. #626

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,915
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12302
    Bloomberg has set up a program called "Rapid Repairs", designed to speed up these processes. The program addresses the issues you all have brought up: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.c...CBDF3A86B42F17

    This program applies to people in the city, not those outside it.

    On another subject, the inspector for our insurance company came to assess the damage to our house today. We'll be covered for the tree removal, a new roof over that part of the house, and a new gutter on that side.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

  7. #627
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Bloomberg has set up a program called "Rapid Repairs", designed to speed up these processes. The program addresses the issues you all have brought up: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.c...CBDF3A86B42F17

    This program applies to people in the city, not those outside it.

    On another subject, the inspector for our insurance company came to assess the damage to our house today. We'll be covered for the tree removal, a new roof over that part of the house, and a new gutter on that side.
    Thank goodness!

  8. #628
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    12,074
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20374
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    We also had a problem with our sewage, a few years ago. One of the trees, the township planted, sits right on top of out sewage line. One night, I was doing laundry and all of the water in the washing machine backed up through the toilet in the bathroom next to it. Cleaned it up, called a plumber, the next day. They came and first checked for a blockage outside. They found that the roots of the tree had cut into the sewage line and the line had gradually filled with dirt and rocks. We had to dig up half of our front lawn and replace all of the piping. It cost us about $10,000.00. The township has a hold harmless clause for the "beautification committee", so we had to pay for it ourselves and they did nothing. We can't take the tree down, because while it is on our property, it does not belong to us. We would get a $7,000.00 fine if we take it down. We were told that if it dies and they determine we killed it, we get fined. This is how this stuff works. Not always fair .
    Just thought I’d chime in here. I think most municipalities are set up so the homeowner is responsible for the sewer out to the street, up to and including the connection to the city sewer. A lot of people think the city is responsible to the property line. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Also, the tree problem is not unique to you, Cruisin. Again, I think most towns are set up that way. Soooo, at least you’re not alone, whatever small comfort that may be.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  9. #629
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Just thought I’d chime in here. I think most municipalities are set up so the homeowner is responsible for the sewer out to the street, up to and including the connection to the city sewer. A lot of people think the city is responsible to the property line. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Also, the tree problem is not unique to you, Cruisin. Again, I think most towns are set up that way. Soooo, at least you’re not alone, whatever small comfort that may be.
    Oh, I realize I am not alone. When the plumbers came they told us they had already had to do the same type of remediation in many of our neighbor's yards. Not only did the pipes have to be dug up, the ground was saturated with sewage, in the area. It just seems rather unfair that the town is allowed to plant a tree on my property, that tree causes significant damage to my property, they have no financial responsibility, and I can't remove the tree which might cause more future damage. They have also acknowledged that they planted the wrong kind of trees. They should allow us to remove the tree, if they are not responsible for the damage it causes.

  10. #630
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    12,074
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20374
    Yeah. That sucks.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  11. #631
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Plotting
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,334
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    0
    I get our sewer snaked every few years due to tree root issues. It's easier to pay the guy $500 than to deal with a massive bill to dig up the 60 year old sewer line.

    Today, son and I dropped off supplies to a 'Sandy cat' rescue. They originally received 88 cats from Point Pleasant and another area. Most have been reunited with their families. Lots of tears and smiles when the reunions happened. We looked at 3 different foster cats. We'd keep them until they're reunited with their families, but my whole family has to agree. I figure even if we don't bring one here, we can always drop off supplies there. Some of their cats have been waiting 5 years to get reunited with their original owners. One fat orange guy stole my heart - he's been there 3 years already!

  12. #632
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Aw, dbell - ya gotta get the orange guy.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  13. #633
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    aw dbell, go get one!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  14. #634
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39361
    Awwww, I hope the fat orange kitty has a new home very soon!! Rescue kitties are the best!

    ETA: for dropping off supplies. When there is so much loss and devastation around, it's easy to forget the animals caught up in all of this. Yay for you for thinking of them.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  15. #635
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not a big fan of Rachael Ray but: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00055393.html
    Other resources: http://www.examiner.com/article/hurr...ng-the-victims

    The local Pet Value store is taking donations of food and money.

  16. #636
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Plotting
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,334
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    0
    There were a few people dropping off supplies. Was really nice to see. There was a family on the way to get their pit bull who'd been rescued after the storm - so there were also 'Sandy dogs' waiting for their family.

    I think the orange guy would do really well with Logan (my Ocelot terror kitten). "Boo" is 18 lbs. and literally jumped into my arms and turned himself into a scarf. They said he does that with everyone. Cat #1 was a pure white, blue eyed girl that's deaf - with my 3 dogs (and terror kitten) that might be an issue... #2 was a white guy with brown markings that actually broke into a house to keep from drowning! They said there were 2 other cats in the house, and the owners were surprised to see a third at the rescue - so they have no clue who owns him (or if he even had a home). But, he was hissy, and didn't like dogs. BUT - I may be getting a 20 lb. white Maine Coon - friend can't keep him at her apartment - waiting to see if she emails me back. I think I like them big boned. Either way, Boo would always be temporary, since the owner can reclaim him at any time.

    Here's an article about the rescue group: http://www.people.com/people/archive...436343,00.html

    Cruisin - Rachael Ray has always donated a % of sales to both food and animal rescue charities (she once had a pit bull). I love her stoneware and knives so I'm biased, but she's one of my favorites.

  17. #637
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Cruisin - Rachael Ray has always donated a % of sales to both food and animal rescue charities (she once had a pit bull). I love her stoneware and knives so I'm biased, but she's one of my favorites.
    Yes, I have heard that about her. Is her dog passed? I thought she still had it. BTW, I don't dislike her, just not a fan. Though, now, I may become one

  18. #638
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Plotting
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,334
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm pretty sure the Nutrish package pup passed a few years ago.

    Back to the storm - a coworker was complaining in the kitchen a bit ago. Her neighbors have a huge yard, their trees in the back broke off and their fence is old, ugly, and falling apart. Seems the neighbors won't do cleanup since they don't have to see it from their front door. Since the damage is on 'their side' they won't touch it and can't be forced to clean up. Meanwhile, coworker is trying to sell and has been told that's a major problem (especially in this tough market).

  19. #639
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Nutrish package pup passed a few years ago.

    Back to the storm - a coworker was complaining in the kitchen a bit ago. Her neighbors have a huge yard, their trees in the back broke off and their fence is old, ugly, and falling apart. Seems the neighbors won't do cleanup since they don't have to see it from their front door. Since the damage is on 'their side' they won't touch it and can't be forced to clean up. Meanwhile, coworker is trying to sell and has been told that's a major problem (especially in this tough market).
    Sadly, there is not much you can do about that sort of thing. We take very good care of our yard. It is nicely landscaped. Our next door neighbors are slobs. They never planted any shrubs, don't mow their lawn, let their house go, to the point where people ask me if it's abandoned! And they are both lawyers. It's been this way since we moved in 26 years ago. We finally complained to the town and they said that they couldn't do anything, unless it was a health issue. Which it is not.

  20. #640

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3986
    Just got the estimate for removal of three fallen trees on my property. It comes to $1900. I got a check from the insurance company for the damage to my roof, siding and deck, but it won't cover all the costs, there's a deductible, and there's another $2000-3000 I will have to pay out of pocket.

    At least my out-of-pocket costs are all tax deductible so I might get some of it back next April.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •