Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    NYC and Long Island are going to be implementing odd/even gas days beginning tomorrow.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...y-long-island/

This will not occur in Westchester, Rockland or Orange counties.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I just spoke to my cousins on Long Island. They haven't had power for 9 days, and there's a rumor it's not coming back until Thanksgiving.

The news was reporting today that many customers on Long Island have been told their power may not be back until Thanksgiving. LIPA has said that all power will be back as of Thanksgiving.

Gov. Cuomo did not sound pleased as he discussed this.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I just spoke to my cousins on Long Island. They haven't had power for 9 days, and there's a rumor it's not coming back until Thanksgiving.
    Are they in a remote area?

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    NYC and Long Island are going to be implementing odd/even gas days beginning tomorrow.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...y-long-island/

This will not occur in Westchester, Rockland or Orange counties.
    We started that last week. Oh, you already know that Are you back at work? How did the roof tolerate the storm last night?

YEAH!
    vCash
    I don't know about missing's cousins, but there are still hundreds of thousands of people on LI with no power, including in non-coastal communities. It really is outrageous. Luckily my house has it, but a lot of people I work with and my relatives who live all over do not, and they were told it was supposed to be back yesterday (Wed) in 90% of cases, but now are being told by Thanksgiving.

It's affecting a lot of businesses and gas stations still. There's also huge intersections and stretches with no power to run the street lights, and I feel like I'm the only one who stops at them as if they were a four-way stop sign, which is the legal requirement...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Missing, that might be the worst story told her so far. Horrible. Not being nosy, just curious, what part of LI?
    They live in Great Neck.

vCash
    That is awful--especially in this weather.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I had it on CNN this morning due to the sentencing of the would be assassin of Gabi Giffords and those that he did kill, and they were talking to IIRC the mayor of the town either a few blocks away from or across the bay from Breezy Point and to say he was beyond livid is an understatement. They've only had a couple of Red Cross people and only one FEMA rep. The only place that's got power is the Volunteer Fire Dept and they can only help so many people due to their small size.

He also said that one FEMA rep told them to get their power back, they need to bring in a licensened contractor and then a licensed electrician to come in to each of the homes to do the work. If that is the case, as he said they won't have power back until Christmas.

That's unacceptable in any realm of possibility, but w/this situation!?!

As both this man and the CNN reporter was saying, the people in this area are at the breaking point and need help NOW!! Where the relief is for this area is a good question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    We started that last week. Oh, you already know that Are you back at work? How did the roof tolerate the storm last night?
    The roof survived the storm.

I went back to work finally, just yesterday. My company gave us bagels, and we had a telling of storm stories. One poor guy is out of his house for six months. A tree went through the roof, and right on through the downstairs ceiling.

The gas lines have pretty much gone away up where I work, but it's still the case that some stations run out of gas. Likewise at home - the lines are pretty much gone, but the stations still run out. And oddly enough, the Wendy's near work still isn't open, although pretty much everything else on that part of route 17 is back open now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    There's also huge intersections and stretches with no power to run the street lights, and I feel like I'm the only one who stops at them as if they were a four-way stop sign, which is the legal requirement...
    Oh. I didn't know that. I will now know to stop and not just, erm... not stop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

He also said that one FEMA rep told them to get their power back, they need to bring in a licensened contractor and then a licensed electrician to come in to each of the homes to do the work. If that is the case, as he said they won't have power back until Christmas.

The reason for that is because when a home has been very flooded, and the electrics, including the box, have been submerged, there's a very real risk that if they do restore power, it will start a fire. So they need to have an electrician and etc. in first, to make sure the electrics are safe to be turned back on, before they *can* be turned back on.

vCash
    NM

vCash
    And right of way to those on the right, right? No, seriously, like in a rotary.

vCash
    You are correct Lacey.

Sending thoughts to all of you. This has been beyond horrible.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

YEAH!
    vCash
    Yeah, it's not been well publicized unfortunately. Thank you for doing it now that you know, though!

Anyone tried for gas today in LI/NYC? Is it better?

vCash
    Yeah, it's not been well publicized unfortunately. Thank you for doing it now that you know, though!

It did get better in Nj when they implemented it. The lines got much shorter. Gas stations, around here, seem to be getting back to normal. Not all are open, but I'm not seeing multiple mile lines.

vCash

The radio news was on LI today, and they interviewed people on line who said it was much better. I didn't hear any reports from NYC.

vCash
    The roof survived the storm.
    Thank goodness, I was worried about your roof leaking. Or the snow being heavy enough to cause more damage. Whew!

vCash
    I saw on CNN this morning that some people in NYC have been without electricity for 2 weeks! They were protesting against LIPA (very understandably). What a nightmare it must be for them!

vCash
    I just talked to my friends in NJ. They're still without power but, as my friend said, "we're lucky we still have a house to get power to." They're running a generator from a borrowed motor home and scraping 2 inches of mud and sludge out of their home with snow shovels. She and her husband take turns going out to wait in lines to get gas.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

The 'licensed' requirement is to ensure that it is done properly. Take it from someone whose Aunt and Uncle had a house survive Camille only to burn down from an improperly repaired electric box when the electric came back. It was done by a relative who thought he knew what he was doing.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast