Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    On the same note, does anyone have any ideas for heat without power? My dad wants to stay at the house as he is worried about it sitting empty for so long. But it's pretty cold in there too but I'm not sure if there is a gas powered heater or similar thing that might exist.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I am thinking that any gas powered heater would be a carbon monoxide risk, indoors. Just make sure he wears lots of layers and moves around a lot. Do they have a gas cooktop? If so, tell h to drink hot tea to stay warmer. I'm actually about to put gloves on in the house, my fingers are getting numb!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    There are both kerosene and propane fueled space heaters. Don't know how readily available they'd be to your dad, though. You could check with a DIY or hardware store to see if they have some.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    if you have plastic for windows and duct tape and put on extra layers of clothing, not cotton.. and mainly hats and gloves and then blankets on top and make sure well hydrated and eat.. skip the booze and caffiene.. also body heat - really works.. I've done winter survival camping and survived the winter ice storm with no power.. at some point you may need to go to a shelter?? do you know where they are near you?
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    On the same note, does anyone have any ideas for heat without power? My dad wants to stay at the house as he is worried about it sitting empty for so long. But it's pretty cold in there too but I'm not sure if there is a gas powered heater or similar thing that might exist.
    Yes there are portable gas heaters run on propane or kerosene or even natural gas. Home Depot and Target both carry them. I was researching the same topic on another forum and that was what I was told. And if he has gas stove, he can fill the biggest pot with water and keep it boiling. That will keep the kitchen area warmer.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It is getting colder and colder. Fireplace barely helps. Not a JCP&L vehicle in sight. Tonight is supposed to get really cold. My house is a refrigerator!
    ((cruisin)) Hopefully at least there won't be a shortage of firewood. I heard many neighbors have truckloads of cut up trees waiting to be given away to people who have wood burning fireplaces.

We now have 6 friends who still don't have power staying with us. They cleaned out their fridges and hauled the food over and we are having a cooking party. I am so lucky that I am able to help out a few people.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    I am so lucky that I am able to help out a few people.
    And they're lucky to have you.

Good thought about the firewood. We've gotten all of ours from either trees that have gone down in storms or developments/individuals who've cut down trees. Since a cord of wood can cost anywhere from $65 to $150 it can be a real savings.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I understand (and agree) with the race being cancelled, however it should have been done days ago. One of the reasons was reportedly hotel space (e.g. refugees getting kicked out for marathoners who had reservations), however so many of the runners are already there they're still going to need the rooms.

I find it curious that there has been no criticism of the Giants game taking place on Sunday (at least I haven't seen any). Obviously pulling off a marathon vs. a stadium game are very different and I have no specialized knowledge of the resources required to do each, but the few football games I've been to had a police presence. With public transport still in turmoil getting to the game will be difficult too. I'm a bit surprised there wasn't a call to move the game to Pittsburgh or a neutral location. But then football is much more popular than running.

Thankfully I've heard from all of my relatives in NY/NJ/CT now and everyone is ok. My poor cousin is due to have a baby any day and they can't go back to their flooded house. But they have a good support network and somewhere to stay for now to that's the important thing. I think she's mostly relieved the baby didn't come during the storm!

vCash
    My girlfriend flew to NYC to runon Thursday night, picked up bib and running merchandise to then find out its cancelled.....she is planning to volunteer but says that as happy as she is to do that she never would have gone and taken up a room, and resources if they cancelled before.
    I have been following this thread and thinking of you all in NYC,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yay! Be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Double Yay! Hope it doesn't take you too long. I'm hoping the E and R lines get up and running soon.
    The 5 train was actually really empty. I was expecting long lines and crowding, but this wasn't the case. I'm sure it will be different on Monday, though.

Cruisin - thinking of you and everyone else without power. Please stay warm and safe!

vCash
    Finally back. Lost power from 2 pm Monday til 11 am Wednesday. Power was restored pretty quickly because I live less than a mile from a major hospital. DirecTV was fine once power came back, but my internet and phone were out until this morning; had to get by with my cell phone until then. My daughter in lower Manhattan has been without power all week. She could have come out to NJ to me, but their car (in a garage) was destroyed by flooding from the East River. My son in Lake Hopatcong is still without power and his boat was destroyed.

I just had my roof replaced October 2nd, and half of it blew away. Right now, the roofer has put tarps on my roof until the damage can be repaired. I lost a huge spruce tree and my deck is so damaged it is too dangerous to use. But compared to many others in NJ, I'm in great shape.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Glad you've checked in euterpe and, while bad, also glad your losses aren't worse and your family is safe.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Found out that my uncle in Cleveland is still without power. Of course it is cold there, too. Adding my thoughts/wishes to all areas for both power and clean water recovery.

vCash
    Genegri, they are lucky to have you!

Euterpe, glad you're okay!

Be careful with recently cut wood. It has to dry out or you will have a lot of smoke.

vCash
    Just got power back 1/2 an hour ago. There are entire neighborhoods of my borough that have been wiped out. I (sadly) expect the body count will rise based on what I am hearing.

vCash
    Great idea about the alternating days for license plate number endings, reminds me of the 70s, I remember going at 7am to the gas station with my first two kids in their pjs eating dry Cheerios while we waited for gas.

Cruisin, why don't you leave and go to upper NY or PA or CT? It's freezing down here, and this is daylight, can't imagine tonight, oh speaking of which, we fall back to standard time.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Finally back. Lost power from 2 pm Monday til 11 am Wednesday. Power was restored pretty quickly because I live less than a mile from a major hospital. DirecTV was fine once power came back, but my internet and phone were out until this morning; had to get by with my cell phone until then. My daughter in lower Manhattan has been without power all week. She could have come out to NJ to me, but their car (in a garage) was destroyed by flooding from the East River. My son in Lake Hopatcong is still without power and his boat was destroyed.

I just had my roof replaced October 2nd, and half of it blew away. Right now, the roofer has put tarps on my roof until the damage can be repaired. I lost a huge spruce tree and my deck is so damaged it is too dangerous to use. But compared to many others in NJ, I'm in great shape.
    glad your back with power hope they can secure the tarps with this time of year and the weather etc.,

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    The 5 train was actually really empty. I was expecting long lines and crowding, but this wasn't the case. I'm sure it will be different on Monday, though.

Cruisin - thinking of you and everyone else without power. Please stay warm and safe!
    glad the trains are up and running again.. will help ease up hopefully on all the transport woes..

Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Just got power back 1/2 an hour ago. There are entire neighborhoods of my borough that have been wiped out. I (sadly) expect the body count will rise based on what I am hearing.
    Yay glad you have power back.. hope you are wrong about the deaths..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Just got power back 1/2 an hour ago.
    Don't want to think about the rest of your post.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Latest estimates is that 80-90% of Seaside houses are damaged. 8 months before natural gas lines can be repaired.

Coworker, her 10 year old daughter, and their are here, they came last night - no electric still where they live (South Brunswick, NJ) and possibly nothing until next week. Her parents have power, but don't like her dog. Ugh. Such a sweet girl, she's curled up next to me. My dogs are fine with her. So, it's blow up mattresses and movie marathons here.

I realized today that Bruce Springsteen has a song called "Sandy" about a girl at the shore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Latest estimates is that 80-90% of Seaside houses are damaged. 8 months before natural gas lines can be repaired.

Coworker, her 10 year old daughter, and their are here, they came last night - no electric still where they live (South Brunswick, NJ) and possibly nothing until next week. Her parents have power, but don't like her dog. Ugh. Such a sweet girl, she's curled up next to me. My dogs are fine with her. So, it's blow up mattresses and movie marathons here.

I realized today that Bruce Springsteen has a song called "Sandy" about a girl at the shore.
    dbell I think you are fantastic to help your coworker. I was watching an advert for MSNBC and the Brit host was saying he thought Americans were indepedent indivuduals who were willing to run to problems rather than run from them. You! I think this has to be most depressing for those who will remember the seaside communities as they were---no matter how new, shiny and bright when they rebuild--- it just won't be the same. I love the song "Sandy" even now as the setting has been shredded by "Sandy."

vCash
    Glad you and your family are OK, euterpe!

Cruisin, can you go to a hotel? Even if you have to drive a bit? Staying in a house that cold can't be good for you.

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast