Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Tranquillo
    vCash
    My town finally has an estimated restoration date for power - either tomorrow at 11PM or Sunday at 11PM depending on which source you read. Gas is still touch and go. Last night one station was closed and the other had 40 cars in line, but today the first station had gas again. I got there early and there was no line.

Last night on my way home I stopped and picked up a hot dinner again at one of the restaurants that was open and I got one for my neighbor as well. He was so thankful that he insisted on either taking me out or cooking a dinner for me when this is all over "if you don't mind being seen with an old fart like me". :loll: He is a sweet old guy who goes out of his way to help the old women who live alone in the condo and I was glad I could do something nice for him.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thanks again for the fridge advice . Believe it or not, the milk is still cold, in a container of ice, in the freezer.

NYC Marathon -they should postpone it. For all of the reasons above. And because the city doesn't need more people getting in the way. My son has tickets for some big concert in the Times Square area, on Saturday. I told him he should NOT go! There is no reason to go into a disaster area unless you are providing aid or its an emergency. Tomorrow is not a night for partying in NYC. I will be very angry/disappointed in him if he goes.

Still no power. And all we're getting is it could be 7 to 10 days. That's what they said from first day. So is it 7 to 10 days from then or now? This is so frustrating!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    NYC Marathon -they should postpone it. For all of the reasons above. And because the city doesn't need more people getting in the way. My son has tickets for some big concert in the Times Square area, on Saturday. I told him he should NOT go! There is no reason to go into a disaster area unless you are providing aid or its an emergency. Tomorrow is not a night for partying in NYC. I will be very angry/disappointed in him if he goes.
    I disagree. If logistics allow, I think the Marathon should continue, for a lot of reasons. First, it's revenue for the city. Second, it tells the world that NY is open for business, which is extra important now. Third, it helps New Yorkers carry on, with hope that some sense of normal is returning and it's all gonna be fine in the end. It's not ignoring what's happened; it's giving people strength to move forward.

As for the concert, same thing. Times Square outside the worst disaster zone AFAIK, and the sooner it can get back to functioning, the better. If your son is coming from NJ, I can see not clogging up the roadways unnecessarily - but if he's using public transportation or he's already in the city, why not? Are people supposed to stop having any fun until every light is back on and every service is restored and every home is rebuilt? I think people need some fun right now, and need the comraderie of others.

vCash
    Sending support, patience, and (((((hugs)))) to everyone dealing with the aftermath of the storm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Do they know for sure she went to a shelter? A lot of Hoboken residents are still in their apartments. I understand they're only evacuating those who really need to go.

They may want to contact the American Red Cross, or her employer's central office, to see if either know her location.
    Thank you! They did get in touch with her after she was able to charge her phone. I appreciate the info!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Saw on the news that FEMA is picking up the cost of the power crews coming from around the country. I just wish there was a way to find out how to thank the various places that came here to help.
    When the town where I work was hit by the tornado, it was amazing how many offers of help came from private people living in other states (not to mention the outpouring from people in state).

Southpaw - contact us! We need to hear from you.
    I don't see it mentioned in this thread, but she did check in in Sekret Sources last night. She still has no power, but is ok.

vCash
    Concerning generators. We have a natural gas generator at one house and a gasoline powered the other. I confess I am rather ignorant about them but can tell you I prefer the natural gas. It was installed by the gas company and comes on automatically when the power goes. It powers more appliances than the gasoline and is not noisy. The gasoline was professionally wired in by a licensed electrician. Neither my husband nor I are very handy so we depend on others for that type of stuff.
    Last edited by mrr50; 11-02-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: can' spell worth poop

vCash
    Of all the post Sandy stories I've seen, the one about the two little boys drowning out on Staten Island is the hardest to deal with. I feel for the parents having to live the rest of their lives knowing that their decisions--first not to evacuate and secondly by the mother to attempt to flee the surge--resulted in the loss of their children.

Hopefully others will learn from this couple's mistakes. It should be a lesson for all who live along the coast: if you are told to evacuate, do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post

Smart choice not to go Albany. That is crazy out of the way...
    Not all the way to Albany. But 87 North to route 90 east, which becomes the Pike in Mass. This usually adds 30 minutes to the trip. It's more miles for sure, but usually much less traffic, so it only adds about 30 minutes when we do it. But yes, the TZB/684/84/Pike route is normally quicker. We do the "towards Albany" route when we know that traffic through CT will be excessive.

I'd never drive 95 to Boston. You'd have to be insane.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash

Still no power. And all we're getting is it could be 7 to 10 days. That's what they said from first day. So is it 7 to 10 days from then or now? This is so frustrating!
    They seem to have power in much of Mahwah now. Also in Suffern. But in that area, not as far south as Ridgewood yet. Yet one of my students in Irvington just got her power back. Where are you located, and how close are you to a town that does have power? That may help you guess when you may get it back.

Much of my town got it back yesterday, but not all, and the town next to mine, Greenwood Lake, is still out. So it's coming back in dribs and drabs.

I think they say the 7-10 days because the reality is that they won't know how quickly they can get power back on until they get in there to assess the damage, and sometimes, in some neighborhoods, there are other factors involved, such as downed trees, broken gas lines, etc., which impact their ability to work. I hope you're one of those whose power comes back faster than that 7-10 days!
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 11-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    Concerning generators. We have a natural gas generator at one house and a gasoline powered the other. I confess I am rather ignorant about them but can tell you I prefer the natural gas. It was installed by the gas company and comes on automatically when the power goes. It powers more appliances than the gasoline and is not noisy. The gasoline was professionally wired in by a licensed electrician.
    I'd go with natural gas if I had a choice but it's not available in my neighborhood.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Asbury Park Press has ongoing updates about power outages and restorations, but I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for: http://www.app.com/viewart/20121031/...ration-updates
    Thanks. It looks like slow going. About 500 homes our of 7500 have been restored. She does have a gas stove and her landline is working, so that is some consolation. I guess hospitals, grocery stores, and gas stations take priorty.

vCash
    One thing I have noticed is that the devasting fires in Queens and Mantoloking were caused by ruptured gas lines due to flooding. I'm not sure why that happens. Although gas utilities are good to have when the electicity is out, that is not very reassuring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yet one of my students in Irvington just got her power back.
    Irvington is close to South Orange, right? Hopefully, my friend there will get her power back soon.

vCash
    Jenny, I understand your point, but they need hotels and food services for those who had to leave their homes and for rescue/repair workers. They can put the marathon off a week or two, that shouldn't dash anyone's hopes for normal . As for my son, he is in NJ. I don't think he should be trying to go to the city. Not just because of clogging, but for his own safety. Hoboken is a good example of how this might not be finished. The surge water finally started to recede and a water main broke. I don't want him on the PATH right now, I don't think it's safe.

Garr, we're in Morris County. Part of our town never lost power, some areas are back on. Morristown never lost power in the center, but outside the center it's out. We lose power at the drop of a hat here. I believe it is because we are such a high elevation. Last year, our neighborhood came back in 3 sections, over 3 days. We were last . We have, big time, cabin fever!

Cleaned out fridge and put cups of baking soda in it. Also propped the door, slightly, open. After I cleaned it, it smelled better. It just faintly has that smell like a wet paper bag. Freezer has a tub of ice with milk & yoghurt. Seems to be okay, so far. Can't believe I'm so obsessed with the fridge LOL!

vCash
    Cleaned out fridge and put cups of baking soda in it. Also propped the door, slightly, open. After I cleaned it, it smelled better. It just faintly has that smell like a wet paper bag. Freezer has a tub of ice with milk & yoghurt. Seems to be okay, so far. Can't believe I'm so obsessed with the fridge LOL!
    I don't blame you. When we were out power in DC last summer for 5 days, the fridge smelled so horrible we had to clean in shifts or we'd get lightheaded. (One housemate had just made a trip to some Asian market and packed the freezer full of pork belly before leaving...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Anyone still looking for info, I highly recommend 101.5 fm - they've really stepped up the coverage to talk about where to get gas and what shelters are open. Our local stores are still on generators. No milk to be found, but I do have a lead on eggs... Going out tomorrow to get some staples. Spent more than I was expecting on batteries and fast/takeout food, but feel so lucky. The local gas station is open, charging $3.49 and didn't have a massive line.

Saw on the news that FEMA is picking up the cost of the power crews coming from around the country. I just wish there was a way to find out how to thank the various places that came here to help.
    If you have access to GasBuddy.com, and type in your local town or zip code, you can find stations that have gas. People are being pretty good about posting updates with prices.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Thanks again for the fridge advice . My son has tickets for some big concert in the Times Square area, on Saturday. I told him he should NOT go! There is no reason to go into a disaster area unless you are providing aid or its an emergency. Tomorrow is not a night for partying in NYC. I will be very angry/disappointed in him if he goes.
    Or he can go in early, help with clean-up, deliver supplies, etc., and then relax at the concert afterwards.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I'm here!

Still No power in Hudson County, but no looting either. I think the cool weather is keeping people from getting too riled up. All I do is walk around town all day. Some delis are selling coffee and pizzerias are able to make pies. Most businesses are shut though. Lots of trees down in the parks and some trees on cars and houses.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Oh I wish I could post the photo of the house of an acquaintance of mine. Or should I say former house -- it is really half a house now with the whole roof still there. Half the 3 story house was washed away from under the roof. She lived on the Raritan Bay in NJ. The weird thing is that in the rubble that was the other half of her house, there is not one recognizable piece of furniture or personal belongings on the ground. And nothing on the street or in neighbors yards. They were all just pulled back into the bay I guess. All you can see is bricks and sticks. But the satellite dish is still attached on the front.
    They put a photo of this house in the paper -- it is on the right under the "Top Hurricane Sandy Photos" headline. The yellow house with the Union Beach Decimated caption. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...hores_fam.html
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast