Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    Looking out my window, I can see lots of trees and branches down. We are operating on generator power but rest of street is dark. Transformers were blowing up way past midnight last night so I expect those without power to be so for some time. No idea when schools will reopen, hopefully have enough food, expect relatives without power to be staying with us.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Make sure they bring their food, judiz.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Still no power. The wind has died down and the rain has stopped. No apparent damage in our yard or to our home. There was nowhere near the amount of rain predicted, in this area. It's not uncomfortably cold, which is good. Just, no power. Hope it won't be days of this. Got to conserve phone - later

vCash
    (((((Hugs))))) to all dealing with the storm and its' aftermath.
    What I've been seeing makes me appreciate just how fortunate we were in FL.

vCash
    Effing hell. I thought we were out of the storm zone, Atlanta!!!

Boyfriend and I were in the apartment downstairs when we heard a huge cracking noise and then the power went out. It's windy out, we figured something exploded, and we thought we'd best stay inside. Literally less than ten seconds later I got a text from the girl living across the street: "MKATS. YOUR CAR!!!!"

How lucky am I? I can't believe it was actually completely unscathed. Boyfriend and I had actually moved our cars after the power line blowing up incident, but yesterday morning I thought it was done and over with and moved my car back since I never got ahold of the neighbor whose parking space I was borrowing. He hadn't gotten around to it yet, thank goodness, because that tree is right where he usually parks Gotta love how it's bright and sunny outside and looks like a perfect day...

Worst part of it is that the tree downed the power line, so no power, no heat, and no internet at my place. It was about forty degrees last night and Boyfriend and I hauled out all the blankets and comforters that we owned. Look on the bright side, I've been trying to go to bed earlier for awhile went to bed at 9 and slept until 8 AM this morning. On campus now so charging all of my devices and brought Boyfriend with me so that at least we can stay warm.

The power company showed up last night and managed to remove the destroyed line, but wasn't able to restore power because the force actually ripped all the wires off of our house The landlady had an electrician come in first thing this morning, and then we have to get the power company back out here, so we're not looking at getting power back until late tonight at the absolute earliest.

Stay safe, everyone!!

vCash
    Far from the storm, but I'm pretty hacked at the NY Times story that suggests that Red Hook and Lower Manhattan are feeling the worst effects of the storm in NYC when the Rockaway peninsula is deeply flooded with people on roofs waiting to be rescued and 80+ homes engulfed in fire.

Mkats -- Gack!

vCash
    Ended up with about 5 inches of rain, a few strong gusts for a couple hours last night, and never lost power. This is in Northern VA out near Dulles.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    1 large branch down - landed a few inches away from my mothers car - and a lot of sticks, but THAT IS ALL!!!! Never lost power or DirecTV -- DirecTV usually goes out in small storms, plus we almost always lose power in big storms. Way to go Pepco!!!!!!

At the beach my neighbor says I only have 1 branch down - my house is high and dry (I am up a hill), but the rest of the neighborhood is flooded because the water came over the seawall. The houses are built high, but the yards are under water. People moved their cars to my street though so those are ok. But we never lost power on our side of the village -- the low side did because they have a lot of flooding from water on 2 sides (bay and inlet). SHe hasn't gone inside my house but I do expect to have some roof leakage.

Haven't heard about the Assateague ponies yet. ETA: found an article that suggests they will be ok:

http://wtvr.com/2012/10/30/chincotea...floods-island/

At the height of the wind gusts, my kitty Casper who was asleep in a bedroom on the windy side of the house, came downstairs and wedged herself between the piano and a box right in the center of the house. She was a street kitty who lived in people's sheds so she must know when there is a storm, you should sleep in the middle of the shed.
    Last edited by Rob; 10-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Got outside, tree leaning against house but no damage.

vCash
    I'm relieved to hear everyone is relatively ok!

vCash
    Everybody, please be safe. I am thinking of you.

vCash
    Everyone please stay safe. I'm glad that our east coast FSUers are checking in so that we know that you are all okay.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Sandy-schmandy. All's well in The House of Muller - power never lost, no tree branches, etc. I hope that other FSUers had similar luck.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Just to show how big this storm is, I have a place in Door County Wisconsin which is a peninsula between Lake Michigan and Green Bay(the body of water). I live on the Green Bay side, on the beach. The wind is not suppose to be picking up until later, but the waves have started to roll already.

vCash
    be safe mrr.

On another note, every time I look up CNN, the death toll is climbing (currently at 29). Very sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I never lost electricity and things just seem breezy outside.

I haven't heard from my friend who lives on the other side of town, so I'm thinking she's probably lost power and/or internet.

My completely arbitrary guess is my area (Orange Ct. NY) got hit a lot harder by Irene.

I'll turn the NYC news on in a few minutes and see how the rest of the world is doing.
    Orange & Rockland reports that 2/3 of customers in Orange County are without power, so you and I are lucky. I also have power, although most in my town do not. However, I do have a 60 foot tree on top of my house, so...

Lots of trees down here. All pine trees. Mine is sitting on my house, but doesn't seem to have done too much damage. It looks spectacular, though.

Trees fell like rain here last night. First mine, then my neighbor's moments later, then the one up the street... Lots of exploding transformers as well.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Went out a bit, to look around. Lots of huge trees in neighborhood down, pulled up from roots, sidewalks torn up. A few houses with trees through their roofs. Still no power, we're hearing it could be 10 days. This is awful! But, we're safe. My husband might not be, however, if he doesn't stop being a twit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Far from the storm, but I'm pretty hacked at the NY Times story that suggests that Red Hook and Lower Manhattan are feeling the worst effects of the storm in NYC when the Rockaway peninsula is deeply flooded with people on roofs waiting to be rescued and 80+ homes engulfed in fire.

Mkats -- Gack!
    I was wondering about these people; thanks for the update; I suppose it's too optimistic to think everyone will be okay...

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    However, I do have a 60 foot tree on top of my house, so...
    Oh, Garr, so sorry! I hope the damage isn't too extensive.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    The pictures on the news here were quite terrifying. I hope everyone is okay.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast