Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash
    I wanted to get a generator last year, after the Halloween snow storm knocked us out for almost a week. My husband decided that we didn't need one, that we'd never experienced a long power outage before, so... ! We'll have hot water, unless the water becomes unsafe. We have gas hot water heater. We also have a gas cooktop, but the ovens are electric. Hopefully, it won't get as cold as it was last year, we won't have heat.

NJ has also declared a state of emergency.

Milanessa, are you all okay in FL?

vCash
    Thanks everyone! I'll check with the group to see if we have a plan. We'll depend on the subway so I hope everything is ok...We'll leave Montreal on Sunday night so we should be ok for Monday but Tuesday might be a problem...

The thing is the hotel is in the Upper West Side and all our meetings are near the UN. I guess we'll have to figure it out as we go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll check with the group to see if we have a plan. We'll depend on the subway so I hope everything is ok...We'll leave Montreal on Sunday night so we should be ok for Monday but Tuesday might be a problem...

The thing is the hotel is in the Upper West Side and all our meetings are near the UN. I guess we'll have to figure it out as we go!
    Is there any possible way you can cancel this trip?

vCash

There is a high probability that subway service will be shut down starting at 7PM Sunday night. Based on current forecast, the city is going to be a mess on Monday. If at all possible, stay home and don't come. If you can cancel the trip, please do. (Not that we NYers don't want you to visit, but it looks like it will be a real mess here.)

vCash
    Went to the hardware/lumber store today. Rusty basement bilco door top now reinforced with some decent wood so there's no more gaping holes where water can come in. Took forever and I wound up using duct tape to get it finished. Also got a pane of glass to replace a broken basement window. Glass didn't fit, so it was duct tape to the rescue again. I have hundreds of dollars worth of power tools and it seems that duct tape is the only thing that helps this place.

Halloween decorations, lawn furniture, and garbage and recycling cans put away in the barn. All laundry done too - I don't want to be without clean clothes if we lose power. Dog's water bowl has a 2 gallon topper, it's filled. Propane and grill ready to go.

I think I'm most bummed about the winds. We've had such a beautiful fall here and the trees are spectacular.

vCash

I would check if your flight has been cancelled first - there is an excellent chance you won't even be able to get to NYC - let alone get the subway!!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

Milanessa, are you all okay in FL?
    My part of Florida is doing fine. A little windy, beaches closed to swimming and it's cooled down a lot but no problems. It's you guys up north I'm worried about.

Stay safe everyone! That's an order.

We have a small generator but have thought about having a whole house generator installed. It will probably be beaucoup though since I'd want to bury the propane tank. Two of our neighbors had it done after Charley and I'm always jealous if we lose power for even a couple of hours and I can hear them humming along.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Here's the NYT site with their plans to close transit services beginning Sunday, 7pm. Not final yet, but it's gonna happen.

http://www.mta.info/

vCash
    I am going to a conference in Williamsburg tomorrow through Wednesday. Looks like tomorrow is just rain, the worst will be Monday, then by Wednesday it's fine for my drive home. I was thinking it might be cancelled, but it has not.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Please stay safe everyone and check in here when you can! I always worry about the folks here when bad weather is heading anyone's direction and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sending lots of *HUGS* your way!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Does anyone know if Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada is in the path of this storm at all?
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Does anyone know if Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada is in the path of this storm at all?
    No, it's not. Here's the latest from the US National Hurricane Center:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...large#contents
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Thanks We usually get the tail end of lots of storms so it is nice to miss one!
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I know that it is currently raining cats and dogs right now in Toronto.

vCash
    I'm going to NYC Monday to Thursday....Does anyone know what I should expect? Should I bring some food in case the power goes out? I live in Quebec so I've never experience something like this and reading this thread made me realise it may be a bigger deal than I expected!

I'm going with a group and we have meetings all week at different places. Do you think we'll be able to go? I know it's almost impossible to predict...

Stay safe everyone!
    If I were you I would check to see if whatever functions you are going to have been cancelled. Please keep in mind that all of New York State including NYC is under a state of emergency, & flood watches and high wind warnings have already been issued for Northern and Eastern NYS (are you driving down? because if you are you'll most likely be driving right through those areas), according to the Weatherbug alerts that are popping up on my phone. Last year NYC was spared the damage that upstate suffered from Lee and Irene but, who knows, it could be the other way around, so prudence is definitely in order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

NJ has also declared a state of emergency.
    Take care of yourself. I'm hoping this isn't another Irene.

vCash
    Thanks again everyone!

We don't have the luxury to go by plane. We're going with Greyhoud and as of now the buses still leave from Montreal. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. I told the organizers about the subway most probably being shut down on Monday, but we're still going. I'll pack some more food just in case we are stuck in Albany and there's nothing to eat or to drink.

The only reason we would cancel I guess is if the people we are going to see cancel the meetings. On top of that, we paid... I didn't say it but it's an academic trip we're organising so we cannot really afford to lose that much money... And there was real academic value to the 7 meetings we have. I guess it's better safe than sorry. I'll keep you updated.

I wish good luck to everyone who's on the path of the hurricane. My worries are worth nothing compared to yours! Stay safe!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I always make sure I have a generator in case the electricity goes out. I even have a back-up.

They are handy when the electricity goes out for a few days. Especially in the winter.

Does anyone else keep a generator handy? I recommend one for emergencies.
    A pickup truck with NJ plates drove past me an hour into NY State, carrying three generators in its truckbed. They'd apparently run out in NJ...
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 10-28-2012 at 01:59 AM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    The storm starts here on Sunday night. Is the bus supposed to be direct to NYC? It might make it if it leaves early enough, but I'm not sure how you'll get around the city once you get there.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    The storm starts here on Sunday night. Is the bus supposed to be direct to NYC? It might make it if it leaves early enough, but I'm not sure how you'll get around the city once you get there.
    Yes it's a direct bus from Montreal. The hope is to be able to go to our meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Like you said, on Monday it will probably be impossible to go around the city.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast