Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

vCash

Hurricane Sandy

I filled my gas tank yesterday (gas prices always go up after a hurricane). I'll be going out later this morning to buy enough groceries to last for a while. And I'm obsessively watching The Weather Channel.

Good luck to everyone already in the path of the hurricane and to those of us who most likely will be in a few days.

vCash
    I think it hits us on Monday/Tuesday (I'm in Central NJ). Generators are selling out like mad around here. Our basement floods with rain, so I'm expecting to be bailing. Spending time this weekend to put away lawn furniture and move basement stuff up higher. Lots of old trees around my money pit. It's going to be interesting. I've got a new propane grill and a decent supply of batteries. And there's shelves full of books waiting to be read.

What will be interesting is seeing if work decides to close - our road always floods but they've only shut the office once in 7 years. That was when Irene's remnants flooded out our parking lot and the police ordered the road closed.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Stay safe, everyone.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I'll be going out later this morning to buy enough groceries to last for a while.
    But what if your power goes out? I've thought about doing grocery shopping tomorrow, but if my power get cut off on Sunday then it'll be a waste. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods and bottled water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But what if your power goes out? I've thought about doing grocery shopping tomorrow, but if my power get cut off on Sunday then it'll be a waste. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods and bottled water.
    We're buying only enough perishables to take us through about Wednesday. So if the power goes out on Monday, we'll be fine - we'll eat them.

We have storm supplies in the basement re: canned goods, bottled water, etc. So we're just in need of a bit more water, and some snacky foods for the little one, and we're good on that end.

For stocking up, think about how you might cook if you don't have power; and then add in how you might cook if you don't have water other than what you've stored, and then buy items appropriate to those scenarios.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    This should make for an interesting week next week...
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I never did get that generator I wanted so I am not getting it now. Oh well. I am going to the beach tonight to secure the moveable stuff and will come back Sunday morning if it hasn't hit yet, Monday morning if it has.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Even though the storm is well off the coast, it's very squally in Central FL.
    The upside is that it will be much cooler afterwards.
    We'll have our version of Fall!

vCash
    One has such a feeling of impending doom, with Sandy and the election hanging over our heads. Long Island will get something of the storm, for sure. Sigh.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Even though the storm is well off the coast, it's very squally in Central FL.
    The upside is that it will be much cooler afterwards.
    We'll have our version of Fall!
    Went to Daytona Beach today to get concert tickets and a car full of seaweed. Coming home we stopped at Vince Carter's restaurant and they were talking about all the bridges being closed. The surf was up and the water was rough but didn't seem that bad. I'm glad we left beachside before they closed it off.

Supposed to be 39F overnight on Monday.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Why did you want a car full of seaweed?

vCash
    ^Seaweed for the garden as mulch/fertilizer).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Whoa... State of Emergency in NYS already. But, then again, we literally went through hell & high water last year with Irene & Lee, so this isn't to be unexpected.

http://m.timesunion.com/tu/db_40506/...tguid=EQOW6rcB

Gov. Andrew Cuomo isn’t taking chances with the approach of Hurricane Sandy: He’s declared a state of emergency in New York in preparation for Hurricane Sandy, which may hit New York State in the coming days.Cuomo noted that while there’s no immediate reason to panic, “we’d rather err on the side of caution” — especially after last fall’s experiences with tropical storms Irene and Lee. Especially in the first deluge, the New York City area escaped major damage while upstate got hammered.“Remember what we went through last year and prepare,” Cuomo said in a Q&A. His weekend plans campaigning for President Barack Obama have also been called off. Cuomo emphasized that the storm’s path is very hard to predict this early in its journey up the eastern seaboard. From his release, which also notes the postponement of the the Homeland Security conference planned for Albany on Monday and Tuesday; those first responders will now be saying home in case they’re needed.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ^Seaweed for the garden as mulch/fertilizer).
    Yep. Just call my husband Farmer Man. Mushroom poop and seaweed and kitchen trash from seafood restaurants.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I'm going to NYC Monday to Thursday....Does anyone know what I should expect? Should I bring some food in case the power goes out? I live in Quebec so I've never experience something like this and reading this thread made me realise it may be a bigger deal than I expected!

I'm going with a group and we have meetings all week at different places. Do you think we'll be able to go? I know it's almost impossible to predict...

Stay safe everyone!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Good luck to everyone in the path of this monster storm! Stay safe!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    I'm going to NYC Monday to Thursday....Does anyone know what I should expect? Should I bring some food in case the power goes out? I live in Quebec so I've never experience something like this and reading this thread made me realise it may be a bigger deal than I expected!

I'm going with a group and we have meetings all week at different places. Do you think we'll be able to go? I know it's almost impossible to predict...
    I'd check with your group organizers asap. I was also supposed to be at a conference in NY this week, and it just got cancelled. On the phone with the airline now; the group is negotiating with the hotel.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post

Stay safe everyone!

I'd definitely check with your group because travel in and out may be tricky. But if there is a storm, I'd expect you'd be fine in NY. Maybe keep a few things with you just for an emergency, but nothing keeps NYC "shut" for long. I'd worry more for the suburbs or outer borughs, but NYC generally keeps going.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I'd definitely check with your group because travel in and out may be tricky. But if there is a storm, I'd expect you'd be fine in NY. Maybe keep a few things with you just for an emergency, but nothing keeps NYC "shut" for long. I'd worry more for the suburbs or outer borughs, but NYC generally keeps going.
    The problems will be if public transportation shuts down. The entire subway/bus system will be shut down if sustained winds reach 39 mph or higher; current forecast is 30 - 50. All outside construction must stop at 5 pm today and we are being advised to stay out of all parks from tomorrow on because of danger of falling tree limbs. Yes, NYC keeps going, but not if winds are too high, the subway system floods, etc., etc.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I always make sure I have a generator in case the electricity goes out. I even have a back-up.

They are handy when the electricity goes out for a few days. Especially in the winter.

Does anyone else keep a generator handy? I recommend one for emergencies.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast