Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Anthony Ryan saved himself by "giving the client what she wanted"; the opposite of what happened in the ill-fated "real woman" challenge.
    I do wish that well-endowed women - and those who design for them - could see that it's more flattering to support and "accent" the bust, as a feature, instead of trying to "hide" it.
    Interesting, because I thought he did anything but hide it. I thought the strapless, straight across neckline and the belt, along with the billowiness of the dress put all of the focus on how big she was. It actually made her look bustier. You don't put a lot of fabric volume at the bust line (on a full figured woman) in order to hide it.

vCash
    I believe that the client thought that what she requested - and had always done - "concealed" her "problem"; when the opposite was true.

vCash
    I believe that the client thought that what she requested - and had always done - "concealed" her "problem"; when the opposite was true.
    Agree, but don't you think the job of the designer is to educate the client on what would be more flattering? Not in a rude way, but in a way that helps them see how illusions can be created with color and shape. The ombre idea was good, the style of the dress was a disaster. They needed "What Not to Wear" there.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think AR is the judge's favorite, but Uli has consistently been in the top. I don't think they were looking to get rid of her. I think they were hoping for Josh to fail. In his season, he was tacky at the beginning and came on strong at the end when he was on the chopping block. This time he flew under the radar and is just coming on strong now.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Agree, but don't you think the job of the designer is to educate the client on what would be more flattering? Not in a rude way, but in a way that helps them see how illusions can be created with color and shape. The ombre idea was good, the style of the dress was a disaster. They needed "What Not to Wear" there.
    In a scenario where they have more than a single day to design and make the dress - of course.
    Time hardly allowed for much discussion/education.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    For this challenge, you think they would have allowed them a little more time to really do a nice job for the clients. Emilio's client probably would have loved her dress if he had time for construction.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    For this challenge, you think they would have allowed them a little more time to really do a nice job for the clients. Emilio's client probably would have loved her dress if he had time for construction.
    This has been a consistent issue since Bunim Murray took over production from the Magical Elves. In the ME seasons, most of the challenges were 1 1/2 days of workroom time. Now, it's less than a day.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think AR is the judge's favorite, but Uli has consistently been in the top. I don't think they were looking to get rid of her. I think they were hoping for Josh to fail.
    I agree, and as others have stated, once he did well in this challenge, the judges' only option was to send all 4 to the final. No way were they sending AR home, and Emilio didn't even look all that surprised when they said he was in as well.

vCash
    In a scenario where they have more than a single day to design and make the dress - of course.
    Time hardly allowed for much discussion/education.
    Very true.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Watched this a day late. As AR was putting his dress together, me and my disproportionate chest were yelling, No, NO, don't do it that way! And that poor woman ended up looking enormous.

Uli's dress was and should have won but Josh's lady looked so happy and the dog was so cute, what can you do.

The Marine lady was very attractive but her affect was scary!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I don't think AR gave his client what she wanted. She looked absolutely miserable. Yes, she mentioned strapless, but he ended up having to add straps anyway. From the very beginning of that monstrosity, it was apparent that he had no idea how to dress her figure. I really like AR overall, but this insane pimping the judges have done has totally turned me off.

And he's not the best designer there; both Emilio and Uli have stronger points of view. It could be argued that Emilio's implosions of late tip the scales in AR's favor in this setting, but there's no excuse for not having Uli as the frontrunner. She's been more consistent, more interesting, and more creative all season.

The show isn't even entertaining anymore.

vCash
    Although this has been a kinda tepid season, I do like some of the designers this All-Star season and I've kept watching every episode, but it has just seemed for the most part that the contestants' personalities simply are not all that exciting, and/ or the challenges have not tended to be all that exciting. Obviously a few contestants have been consistently strong designers, i.e., Uli, AR, and Emilio. Ivy got lucky in the beginning and finally faded; Laura Kathleen, despite being pretty, was generally boring and sometimes unpleasant; Kayne was peppy and fun, and he had some good ideas but he often exhibited tacky execution and styling; Andrae was even more weird than in his original season and he also suffered from not having strong personalities around him like Santino, et al (as during PR Season 2); Casanova gave this all-star cast some punch and was well-liked by everyone; Althea was sweet and underrated, and perhaps as a result she increasingly lost confidence; I've already forgotten that Peach, Wendy, and Suede were ever around -- nothing they completed is memorable, at least not in a good way . I think that Carolyn Murphy is somewhat of an improvement over the first PR All-Star season host, but not by a huge degree.

ITA that it was not a surprise no one was eliminated for this week's challenge. It would have made the show's concept look bad to eliminate AR (he won too many challenges to be let go for one mistake at the penultimate moment, even tho' it was poor design judgment on his part). Emilio won a few challenges too, and his dress while not well-executed, flattered his client more than did AR's non bust-camouflaging effort for his client. I liked Uli's dress, but the client didn't look very happy (or she may have been nervous walking the runway).

It was great seeing how quickly and sincerely Josh bonded with his client -- they worked so well together. Indeed Josh was finally excited and inspired in the very nick of time. Josh's client's great spirit and obvious delight in her dress while walking the runway was a huge asset, and heartwarming to witness. I agree with Isaac Miz that his namesake should have been provided with more glamorous attire. Side-note: On the PR website a viewer wrote in re wondering if the dog named Isaac was the same yellow lab named Isaac she had donated to an organization that trained him to be given to a Pets for Vets group for placement.

Looks like the PR producers are trying to beef it up with the trip to Pareee! I guess they needed to wait until it was down to three or four contestants so they wouldn't have to pay for a lot of round trip tickets. Will it be Josh or someone else who gets the boot next week?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks
    Looks like the PR producers are trying to beef it up with the trip to Pareee! I guess they needed to wait until it was down to three or four contestants so they wouldn't have to pay for a lot of round trip tickets. Will it be Josh or someone else who gets the boot next week?
    I believe next week is the finale, so 3 will be auffed
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Anthony Ryan, that poor woman looked like an ancient Roman wet-nurse! That was atrocious, dear boy......

vCash
    In the past, they've been really hard on designers who give the client what they want at the expense of good design. Had this been a regular season, AR would have been auffed in a heartbeat.

I know these are good designers, and I think a lot of the lack of interesting designs have to do with the time constraints--we'd get better designs and probably more interesting banter if Lifetime wasn't so damn cheap. Bravo usually gave at least two days for the designers, as well as a day zero where hair/make-up didn't count. Sometimes they gave three, and I think once or twice they gave more!

/Season Three rant on
    I am glad that Uli's getting some serious recognition. Her final collection was one of my favorites in PR, and I still remember it. I just don't think the judges expected her to do as well as she did, and her season had some truly epic designers in terms of ability and personality (Laura Bennett, Mychael Knight, Jeffery Sebilia, weird guy with affected accent Malan something). Had the judges not had such a hard on for Jeffery or Mychael winning, she totally would have walked away with the win. Jeffery and Mychael the bottom of the pack for the final challenge, and this was the season they decided to let four compete in the final just to ensure one of them would win. It should have been Uli, Laura, and Mychael in the finale with a clear win for Uli. Season three really pisses me off. /rant off
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    My issue with Uli is that she tends to do the same basic designs over and over.
    Her first season it was the 1970's prints/Maxi dresses; this year, the "flapper".

vCash
    AR is lucky Issac loves him. That tacky balloon dress sucked. And adding a ribbon below a uniboob is NEVER a good idea. He does get points for not doing a "Ven" sized meltdown over not dressing a twig. And as a size 14/16, I wholly agree with the judges - if you've got curves, flaunt them. When I was a size 20, I had people asking where I shopped for my party/on the town outfits. Adding all of that fabric added several pounds to the client and didn't make her look better.

Loved Josh's client, but that dress was odd. Dog needed some dyed fabric too, not just the original pattern.

Uli dressed her client like Uli - no surprise there. I'd totally want an Uli dress instead of some random creation.

Emilio and his lisp can leave my screen now, but I did love the color and was happy it wasn't Vegas hooker short.

This episode had me sniffling from the start- loved this idea and challenge. But I really wanted a longer design time - the ladies deserved better than a few hours of design work.

Trivia - Katie did this episode right after the TC breakup. I remember all of the press photos mentioning her judging a PR show.

vCash
    Details about the new cycle of "Project Runway", which begins on Jan. 24th:
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

"Teams" should bring lots of "drama" to the workroom/runway.

vCash
    Why do they have 59 year olds in this? That is my age. And, realistically, not an age to start in the fashion business. They never do well. I don't get it.

vCash
    The producers don't want to be accused of "age discrimination" by excluding older designers, IMO.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast