Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ Well, I don't think its a bad thing that PR at least makes the effort to be inclusive with selecting designers from a variety of different backgrounds and different ages. Obviously there have not been many designers over 50 on the show, because it is probably rare for someone to seek a career at the top levels of design when they are over 50. I am just choosing not to automatically dismiss this 59-year-old because of her age. There isn't a huge sample of PR designers over a certain age, but yes some like Peach Carr didn't do that well (not necessarily because of her age or talent, but seemingly because she had a limited area of expertise and she apparently didn't believe in herself or trust her instincts enough -- I think that happens to a lot of the designers in the hot-bed of PR competition). Bert Keeter and Wendy Pepper did do well (also Laura Bennett and some others who were in their 40s went far on the show). I don't think the age of these designers should be used as a negative determination for how they fare on the show.

For myself personally, I am just trying to be more expansive in the way I think about age-related issues. It is not the designers' ages that should be used as an excuse if they don't do well on the show. And that was the inference you initially made:

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin
    Why do they have 59 year olds in this? That is my age. And, realistically, not an age to start in the fashion business. They never do well. I don't get it.

And per your most recent post:

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin
    ...I just don't think PR takes the older 50+ designers seriously ... And, not to be unkind, but quilting and making your own clothes, are not necessarily designer qualifications. I'll have to wait and see her work.
    I think all involved with PR take the show very seriously because the show has been successful as a franchise and they are trying to keep it going. Obviously, they try to make selections on the basis of talent, but also on personality and on the mix of personalities they think might make for an entertaining show. Among their considerations has always been including people from different ages and backgrounds. I don't think Heidi and PR producers are any less serious about designers over a certain age than they are about younger designers or gay designers or black designers or female vs male designers -- the auf'ing doesn't always seem fair of course and none of us always agree with the judges or with each other, but who goes and who stays is generally based on how well each individual designer is able to step up to the challenges they are confronted with throughout their season.

Clearly, 59-year-old Cindy Marlatt in PR Season 11, has something going for herself as a designer and not simply as a hobbyist who makes her own clothes and has a background in quilting. She had to audition for the show and she was accepted on the basis of her design talent, construction skills, her portfolio and her presentation before the selection committee.

All the videos of the new designers' auditions, home studio and closet tours are up on the PR website, along with brief bios and Q&As. I took the time to look at the videos on each one of the Season 11 designers, which is something entertaining and informative to do before the new season starts. IMO, the fact that all of these designers are talented will have less bearing on how well they do on the show, than will other factors including the new team format, personality differences, character flaws, limited time factor, judges' perceptions, producers' behind-the-scenes viewpoints, and individual designers' weaknesses.

PEACE to you cruisin. Enjoy the new PR season! Also, enjoy upcoming Nationals. Best to you in the New Year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    PEACE to you cruisin. Enjoy the new PR season! Also, enjoy upcoming Nationals. Best to you in the New Year.
    Thank you, the same to you.

vCash
    The producers know the winner as soon as the show gets down to the final 5 or so. I don't drive myself crazy thinking that the designer with the best clothes will win. Actually, it's mildly amusing watching the show to look for the telltale signs of producer manipulation. Bunin Murray is far less subtle than the Magical Elves.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Aftershocks, I am not saying that people should not try new things or get involved in new endeavors at an older age. I just don't think PR takes the older 50+ designers seriously. I think they use them as filler for drama. It is not an age forgiving industry. Is that fair? No. But that was not my point. And, not to be unkind, but quilting and making your own clothes, are not necessarily designer qualifications. I'll have to wait and see her work.
    They also don't take the craft show fashion industry seriously. Yet people make tons of money there. I think a lot of the older contestants have already been or could be successful in local boutiques or craft shows. Someone like Cindy Marlatt might have been so successful in business that she could bankroll her own collection. For her, even one appearance is probably good publicity locally. Heck if she makes a comfortable suit, I'll buy one.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    During his season, many people thought that Bert's decoy collection was better than those of the finalists.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Project Runway All-Stars: Villians. Razzle-bedazzle and snarky turkey disco!

I think Joshua and Ryan were here last this weekend. A friend posted a picture of himself and Josh. I know Josh had come here with Ryan before so it could be an old picture but it seems random to post it late last night. They must be good friends.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Is anyone here watching the final?

I thought Uli's collection was by far the best of the three. AR's, while sleek and streamlined, was a total snoozefest IMO, and Emilio's had me a bit .

I was at Isaac's tight-lipped bitchface and polite golfer's clap when Uli's models were doing their group pass, but then again it was no surprise as he's had his tongue up Anthony Ryan's ass the entire season.

Panel should be interesting
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i couldnt find lifetime

i like uli's best. i can see johnny stealing the makeup for an exhibition.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

I thought Uli's collection was by far the best of the three. AR's, while sleek and streamlined, was a total snoozefest IMO, and Emilio's had me a bit .

I was at Isaac's tight-lipped bitchface and polite golfer's clap when Uli's models were doing their group pass, but then again it was no surprise as he's had his tongue up Anthony Ryan's ass the entire season.

I thought Anthony Ryan's looked like a design-school student's. And Emilio's collection looked like a couple pieces used over and over, and he's trying to back them into a corner where if they don't give him the win they look racist. I like Uli's best--I wouldn't necessarily wear most/any of them, but it looks like a *real* collection.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think it is funny to hear them critiqued by a girl in a teal crocheted toilet paper cover
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    egad PR teams
    the looks on their faces, i cant say that i blame them

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I thought Anthony Ryan's looked like a design-school student's.

*sip*

I like Uli's best--I wouldn't necessarily wear most/any of them, but it looks like a *real* collection.
    ^^This. 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i think it is funny to hear them critiqued by a girl in a teal crocheted toilet paper cover

I got a major Tilda Swinton vibe from Uli's models' makeup and hair, and the faux fur used in her collection had a very Winter Witch from Narnia thing going on .

I hope she wins, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I thought AR's show was BORING!! Emilio's show was the most entertaining, and I LOVED seeing a runway show that had all black models (and it wasn't an 'Ebony Fashion Fair' show). But overall, Uli was the best (tho watching those models walking in those extremely high shoes was scary to watch).

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I can't believe who won - I thought he should have been last based on the final collection. This win was based on prior weeks.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    ITA, AR was a student show. I liked Uli best (again).

Predictable ending.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Uli should have won. That's what you'd really see on a runway. AR was too he same for me (ie, dresses) and Emilio was just thrown together. Great idea but he needed a month.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Uli was robbed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Emilio always has the best idea, but he rarely has the best finished project. That being said, I can see a case for him winning because it was at least a great concept. Uli had a fully realized vision and it was just beautiful and whimsical to look at. Plus, you could see how it could be broken down for ready to wear.
    Anthony Ryan brought nothing new to the table and his last look was bad in design and execution. I found the different lengths distracting. Putting the clothes together made Emilio and Uli's collection look better; it made Anthony Ryan's look worse.

PR All Stars is sort of like post-Oly Worlds some years: righting the wrongs of the main event regardless of what's put on the ice. The first mini-one they gave to Daniel V., even though his collection was AWFUL (and Korto was denied her rightful win ), Mondo won to wipe Wretchen out of every one's mind (which is fine, he had a good collection, but Austin was stronger IMO), and now Anthony Ryan, who should have been in the final on his season but on this one is damn lucky he made it to the final. I'm sorry they have their oh-shit-what-were-we-thinking (looks at Ninagarcia) moments, but you don't make it right by compounding the error. They should just have a second medal ceremony and declare the winner at the time and the what-we-should-have-done winner right before the next season airs.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

I think Uli should have won. I understood what Emilio was trying to say but his collection just didn't grab me. Also, from his comments, I kept getting the uncomfortable feeling he was pulling some kind of a subtle race card which I admit I didn't get. Still I was pulling for him if Uli didn't win. Ryan's collection looked very sleek but like the same version of one dress done in different colors. For that alone he should have been third. No imagination imo. At least Emilio's line had some variety.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Yep, Uli wuzrobbed and moreoever, the judges knew it. That was a beautiful collection and a few pieces (fur vest/sweater) I would kill for. AR's wasn't bad, it had a idea, but it surely wasn't that interesting; and Emilio's upset me. I also know what he was trying to say but the Aunt Jemima hairstyles and the so-so clothes left me
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast