Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I was happy that Anthony Ryan won.
    His design referenced/interpreted the "speakeasy" without copying anyone.

This is the third time that Uli used the "flapper" concept - enough.

Laura Kathleen's lack of attention to detail was her undoing.
    She also seems to lack the creative "spark" that would make her designs memorable.

vCash
    I was shocked when she said "you're out" to Laura, mainly because Ivy has now been in the bottom for 3 consecutive weeks. But I did agree that Laura's outfit was the worst. I actually felt it was more 70s-inspired than 20s.

vCash
    Most of the designers and judges seem to know very little about the history of fashion/design.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Uli had to use the flapper concept this time. I loved her dress. and I really liked the little whatever it was on the top -- wrap, shawl whatever.

Liked Anthony Ryan's better with the cape than without. But it was good.

Emilio's was ok. I didn't like Josh's at all from the front.

Ivy had a great idea, should have fitted it better, made it shorter, with more feathers at the bottom. She thought she was out.

Laura Kathleen - ugh, only the top was good.

Has the finale been filmed yet?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Has the finale been filmed yet?
    I think it taped the same time that the previous season did, and since they don't do fashion week, I would assume that this season has long wrapped.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Emilio's was ok.
    Re the Christmas store challenge (that I just watched last night) -
    What happened to all those filmy pink butterflies he started out with? I was looking forward to that - so romantic.

vCash
    I too am glad Anthony Ryan won this time over Uli, but I wasn't that impressed overall with any of the outfits nor the challenge either. Not sure why the producers devised a 1920s challenge anyway when a lot of what Uli did for other challenges looked 20s -- it wasn't her fault this time tho' as she had to go with the challenge and she did a fairly good job, but I didn't like her choice of white for her fabric because it was too close to a couple of outfits she'd already done. The judges praised her pretty heavily too in this challenge.

Josh's cut was interesting, but there were problems with his styling choices. Some aspects of Emilio's design were good, but he seems to have lost a bit of confidence. It wasn't clear who the judges would pick for the high score among these two.

I wasn't surprised that Laura Kathleen was out -- her pants were awful, and the fabric and dark color I didn't like. The top was pretty but covered by the unnecessary fur. Also, the pleated detail on the sides of the pants was bound to make the model look fat, and LK had already been warned about that in the last challenge.

Ivy's outfit was not good either, even tho' as everyone said the fabric was great -- she just didn't execute well, but compared to LK, I think it was clear in the judges' comments that they felt better about keeping Ivy. Both Ivy and LK were OTT during the show in their spiteful comments toward their opponents, which showed their mutual insecurities (even tho' they both kept acting like they were going to annihilate their opponents). Anthony Ryan was generous when asked in the workroom about grading Ivy's outfit, and then Ivy came back with that low-ball score for AR's dress, which was ridiculous.

vCash
    I can see why Anthony Ryan won. But, I loved Emilio's. And Emilio's was definitely right for the period, just more of a day dress.

vCash
    ^^ Yeah I liked Emilio's choice to go a bit against the expected short, loose flapper style. Emilio managed to do something more fitted and longer but still a casually sophisticated style of the period, altho' the judges seemed to feel it was more of a 30s look. But what do they know?!

Anthony Ryan did a good job, especially with the concept of updating the flapper look, however, I wasn't that in love with his choice of black. His feathered top was very cool. I will go out on a limb and say that Anthony Ryan will win it all in the end.

vCash
    Crack smoking judges dumped LK over Ivy or Josh? Really? Ivy took a gorgeous expensive fabric and tortured it to look cheap and feathered. Josh took 2 pieces of fabric, added neon road striping and made his model look bigger and was saved? I don't get it.

This challenge was tailored for Uli, but she blew it.

Of course, Lifetime made it all better with the 30 minutes of Marchesa afterwards. Some of those gowns were stunning. Let's make that a reality show, I'd rather watch Georgina and Laura design then see PR every week.

vCash
    I could've seen it go either way between Laura Kathleen and Ivy this week.

I think Ivy is a good designer, I just think she's not good in a competitive format. I was at Fashion Week her season, and I still remember her lovely resort collection (and hers didn't even make broadcast).

I think we're gearing up for an Anthony Ryan-Emilio-Uli showdown, with the final two being the guys. I like all three, so I'm fine with whatever the outcome.

I believe this filmed over the summer, and Katie Holmes will be an upcoming judge -- if not the final judge.

vCash
    These reflections are off topic to this PR All-star season, but related. I am convinced that judges on PR who are also designers (and indeed many designers in the fashion industry) gain a lot of ideas and inspiration from the designs created by contestants on Project Runway. Obviously, in fashion design there has always been a lot of overlap and borrowing of ideas. I suppose the key is in not just stealing an idea, but in making it your own through creativity, right fabric, construction, tailoring, draping and execution, and making the overall concept feel fresh and original with everything coming together (and especially for a show, choosing the right models and presenting clothes with the right styling). Many top flight designers have hits and misses too.

I enjoyed the documentary on Marchesa. Wow those dresses are indeed "pieces of art," as Halle Berry said. It was interesting that Anna Wintour helped Georgina and Keren of Marchesa gain more attention by suggesting that they pose their designs with live models and with headless mannequins on pedestals, where the dresses could be seen up close so that the amazing details in the dresses have more impact.

Looking at Marchesa's Spring 2013 collection with its India-inspired theme I liked some pieces more than others. There was a white dress with fringe reminiscent of the flapper looks that Uli designed during the current PR Allstars season. The couple of pants/ tops looks I didn't like much, and I didn't care for the belly-baring looks either. But there were a number of dresses that were quite lovely: http://www.fashionologie.com/Marches...nway-24903232? I particularly liked #s 5, 18, 21, 22 (reminded me of a dress Sonjia did in the way it is draped), 29, 30, and 33.

There are some stunning looks in the Spring 2011 Marchesa collection, but some I didn't like at all. Some outfits have 2 views ... I liked looks 1-8, then 11-12, 17-18, 22-23:
    http://www.fashionologie.com/Spring-...3045-11011480?

Look 17-18 in Marchesa's Spring 2011 collection reminds me of Ven Budhu's rose aesthetic (PR season 10), but done in the Marchesa style which is very unique.

Ven Budhu first gained recognition in the fashion industry when he received Designer of the Year honors upon graduating from FIT in 2006. I found this site which shows his Spring 2012 and Spring 2013 collections:

http://www.gavaskarny.com/gav/collection.html

I think Ven damaged his reputation when he insulted his client during the regular woman challenge on PR season 10.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Most of the Marchesa designs, much as I admire their construction, seem only appropriate for the "Runway" to me.
    They are so conceptualized, or "fashion forward" that few people in the marketplace would/could consider them.

I think Ven damaged his reputation when he insulted his client during the regular woman challenge on PR season 10.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's true.
    A shame, because I believe he's extremely talented.
    I hope that his career hasn't been completely derailed because of this thoughtless, regrettable episode.
    Are there any reports about what he's doing now?

What I appreciate about Ven, is that he took some of the best inspirations of Marchesa; along with his own concepts, and rendered them in such a way that a sophisticated actual consumer would buy/wear them.
    Some might have found him "old fashioned"; but, I didn't.
    He has the skills and POV shared by some of the great designers of the past.
    That's something to be encouraged; rather than mocked, or ignored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    What I appreciate about Ven, is that he took some of the best inspirations of Marchesa; along with his own concepts, and rendered them in such a way that a sophisticated actual consumer would buy/wear them.
    Some might have found him "old fashioned"; but, I didn't.
    He has the skills and POV shared by some of the great designers of the past.
    That's something to be encouraged; rather than mocked, or ignored.
    Love his collections. He really is talented. I hope the rudeness fades, I would hate to see a ruined career over one (edited) temper tantrum. He also reminds me of Zac Posen with some of his pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Love his collections. He really is talented. I hope the rudeness fades, I would hate to see a ruined career over one (edited) temper tantrum. He also reminds me of Zac Posen with some of his pieces.
    By all accounts, from the "client", her sister who nominated her, Tim Gunn and the behind the scenes blogs on the PR site, editing was kind to Ven in that episode and it was WORSE than what we saw.

vCash
    I suspect that Ven is not the only designer who shares - and has expressed - similar opinions about "normal", or "plus sized", clients.
    However, they aren't aired on national television.

The response from the public/backlash from the industry may have been a considerable punishment for him.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i wonder how many people that would be in the position to buy an original ven would relate to that client. if i really wanted a dress of his, i wouldnt care if he was a tool or not.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I think for me, it was him trash talking that poor woman all over the place. He was just downright rude to her and her friend. In the real world, if you're going to someone for a custom, expensive item, you want to be treated at least normally, if not like a queen. You want a piece that flatters your body type. And you want someone who won't take your money and then talk behind your back (or to your face) about how fat you are or other perceived body issues. Bottom line, he was a jerk to the client.

If I had the $ to get a couture wardrobe, I'd be beating down the Marchesa door. Doesn't matter if it's not practical, I want them to make me an Alice in Wonderland collection.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I love Marchesa, too.

And I finally watched last week's episode last night and was also surprised Ivy wasn't given the boot. She'll never make it to the end, though, I agree that will be Anthony Ryan, Emilio and Uli, with AR FTW. Oddly, I don't remember loving his stuff in his own season but he's the strongest designer this season, I think.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Ven did a lot of great designs I've seen at Macy's. I picture a very fashionable 40-45 year old woman who goes to garden parties. It's very well executed and tasteful and flattering. And borrr-rrrring. Everything Ven did, I saw somewhere else first. He does one look well, and he can make a career on that, but he's never IMO going to be a "name." He'll never have a spectacular failure, but I can't ever seeing him having a smashing success either. He would never, ever, ever be capable of conceptual design.

I've always wondered about the designers who bitch about plus sized women--meaning anyone bigger than a four. Surely they realize the vast majority of women, even at a higher price point, is going to be bigger. And even if they are a size four, they aren't necessarily going to be tall sticks and have a model (straight) figure. They might have hips, boobs, oddly proportioned, anything. Dressing someone who is a size 16 will probably not as

I did not like Emilio in his own season, but I really like him. I like Emilio to the point that I think he should be a judge someday--he's so incredibly knowledgeable about fashion and fabric and history.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast