Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I've had seven. Which is three more than last year.

Good thing my husband bought candy that we really like to eat.

vCash
    We had over 200 by 7:30, and they kept coming until 8:30, will get final talley from neighbor.

Our township recommended that people postpone until Sunday because some were still without power. We had power, so, instead of our usual 150, I bet we had 250 with people texting and FBing that our road was doing it tonight, they might even be double dipping and doing it in their neighborhoods on Sunday.

vCash
    Don't know how many, but a good number (somewhere between 60-100 I'd say). They're still trick-or-treating, but fewer of them. It's amazing how polite they all are

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I have had zero. BUt it's only 6:15 here. I only bought 3 bags this year. One year we gave out 10 but usually I buy 5 and end up giving out handfuls near the end to get rid of it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Don't know how many, but a good number (somewhere between 60-100 I'd say). They're still trick-or-treating, but fewer of them. It's amazing how polite they all are
    Mine were not polite. I had one little girl that managed to speak and seem pleasant. The others all stood silently waiting for the loot. Two came later, bringing the total to nine. They were middle school age and not even in costume. Nor did they bother to say "trick or treat" or "thank you". My nephew (age 17) is home alone giving out candy and told me one kid needed a shave. His response to that: "geesh...I'd might as well be out getting candy instead of passing it out".

vCash
    One little girl complimented me on the glaze of the glass bowl I used to hold the candy .

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't have any problem with older kids trick or treating in theory. But in real life, sometimes I snark about it especially if they don't put a lot of effort into it. But the thing is, growing up can be hard and Halloween is fun for adults too so I think they are caught in the middle between wanting to have the fun but being afraid to look uncool (which is why they sometimes minimize the costumes).

Anyway, all my trick-or-treaters said "Thank you" except two shy brothers who looked like identical twins except one was 6 and one was 12. I think they should have worn identical costumes so the little one would have been Mini-Me to the older one. Anyway, they did shyly say "Happy Halloween" as they left so I was okay with them.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    We had 42 kids--mostly little ones, but some middle schoolers. Our neighbor had his grandkids over raking leaves, and he sent the two boys over for some candy--they came every year when they were little. The one said "Hi--we're dressed up as high school kids who are working as leaf rakers!" I said they needed chocolate so they could get energy to finish! The last batch was a group of 7 boys, middle school age. They were all dressed up, they all said Happy Halloween and thank you. Nice night.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I had none cause I didn't give out this year. I try to go on an every other year cycle, because I spend too much damn money on candy for the 10 bazillion kids that come thru my neighborhood. Last year I made a trip to buy just candy for Trick or Treat night, and it was over $250! And I still ran out before the end of the night. So it don't happen every year at my house.

Although I'm glad I didn't buy up this year. It was like 38 degrees tonight, spitting rain and cold cold cold all night long. I'm guessing that cut down on a lot of kids this year, so I would have been stuck with a ton 'o candy that kinda might have found its way into my tummy.

vCash
    No trick or treaters this year. First Halloween in the new house so... We have a super long driveway and haven't figured out how to turn on the garage lights yet so despite the porch lights, we may not have looked home. That said, husband and I wen out jogging early as trick or treating was starting in the nearby development. As we were finishing up, some parent glare at us, muttered some stuff, and said "really???" a few times. Is it breaking some law to jog on Halloween? I was inside for 3.5 days thanks to the hurricane and now have lots of candy in the house. I'm glad I went out!

vCash
    We had about 20 starting at dusk, all accompanied by adults. Part of our street is still without power which might explain the low turnout. The last kidlets stopped by about 7:00.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    That said, husband and I wen out jogging early as trick or treating was starting in the nearby development. As we were finishing up, some parent glare at us, muttered some stuff, and said "really???" a few times. Is it breaking some law to jog on Halloween?
    No, but it's not the wisest thing to do either. If you decide to go jogging where a lot of children are trick-or-treating, then you know you'll be running into small kids out and about walking in the streets and sidewalks who may not be able to see well or move quickly because of their costumes. It's not a very safe or considerate thing to do, and I'm not sure why anyone would purposely pick that time to go out and run because of that (which it sounds like you did).

vCash
    No, but it's not the wisest thing to do either. If you decide to go jogging where a lot of children are trick-or-treating, then you know you'll be running into small kids out and about walking in the streets and sidewalks who may not be able to see well or move quickly because of their costumes. It's not a very safe or considerate thing to do, and I'm not sure why anyone would purposely pick that time to go out and run because of that (which it sounds like you did).
    It also tells parents that you're not where you should be, at home handing out candy.

vCash
    In my defense, I got home from work early to jog and when I set out before trick or treating appeared to start (people appeared to still be coming home from work and it was daylight). The kids (there were maybe 6 or 7 kids I passed when I got the comment) walk through yards and avoid the street all together. The only people on the street were actually the adults going with the kids and they were standing smack in the middle of the road.

Oh well, I'll make sure I don't jog next year. And if it weren't for going stir crazy from the hurricane, I probably wouldn't have, but...

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    It also tells parents that you're not where you should be, at home handing out candy.
    Yes, but unfortunately no children came by my house at all. In the 15 minutes that my jogging and trick or treating coincided, maybe I missed someone, but to be honest, I doubt it. Kids went from one neighbor on one side directly the neighbor on the other side. Skipping my super long driveway... Now I have 5 bags on candy sitting around. Oh well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Somehow I suspect if they had chosen to go for a walk rather than a run at that time, they wouldn't have received any comments. IOW, it's a safety issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't have any problem with older kids trick or treating in theory. But in real life, sometimes I snark about it especially if they don't put a lot of effort into it. But the thing is, growing up can be hard and Halloween is fun for adults too so I think they are caught in the middle between wanting to have the fun but being afraid to look uncool (which is why they sometimes minimize the costumes).
    Exactly. I never mind if the older kids trick or treat. I only mind if they show up drunk. Every single trick or treater I have ever had has said "trick or treat" and "thank you" though...even the drunks.

One year I took my then 3 year old out to trick or treat, and I was pregnant for my second baby at the time. 5 months pregnant on my 5 foot frame is VERY noticeable. Some of the people thought I was dressed up as a pregnant teenager and they kept giving me candy. I told every single one that I was a married ADULT, actually pregnant, and that the kid I was with was my daughter, not my sister. They still let me keep the candy though.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Surprisingly (because of the cold) there were a lot of kids out in my neighborhood this year. I think it was because the usual organized activities didn't happen due to Sandy prep/cleanup. Normally we only get the pre-school kids who go out early (6:30ish). My neighbor across the street normally does a haunted house in an old carriage house out back and hosts a block party, but he didn't do that this year. A lot of the adults hung out along the sidewalk with gas fires and oil lamps. Kids were trick or treating until 9pm.

The porch light rule is the norm in my area as well. Trick or treat always happens on Halloween no matter what day of the week it falls on.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Trick or treat always happens on Halloween no matter what day of the week it falls on.
    As it should, IMO.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I've never had a set time, and have never had a problem with it. I just give out candy from the time I turn my light on til I run out of candy and turn the light off.

This year, I went through 10 pounds of candy in an hour! Husband didn't believe me when I said I needed more than 10 pounds of candy. Next year, I'll be doing the Halloween shopping.

vCash
    Friend of mine posted on fb that her 2nd grader went with his big sister (6th grade) without Mom this year for the first time. He said at every house "trick or treat--I need two--one for my Mom who had to stay home. She likes Almond Joy best" And he did share with her.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123