Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    I like D&R but I think they will have a hard time mantaining a medal spot in the Olympics in Russia. The Russian teams and other top Europeans will be more favored in the scoring and Duhamel & Eric less than at Worlds in Canada. I am not saying they didnt deserve their medal, just that location makes a big difference when alot of skaters are close in a number of ways, including the energy of your performance level. They arent beating Volosozhar and Trankov unless they fall about 6 times. Silver will probably be the Germans. That leaves only the bronze available and 2 very strong Russians teams left, some strong Chinese, all going for that too.
    ^^ Yeah, re your last sentence! Insightfully or not, I think politics will factor into who gets the bronze, even though I don't have a favorite for bronze (e.g. If all the skaters skate well, what are the judges to do? Answer: manipulate the levels and PCS like crazy on the basis of talent level yes, but also based on politics). Factored in of course will be who skates lights out (if anyone does). Pang/ Tong were obviously not being favored to medal at 2010 Olympics, but they just skated their hearts out to the point that when all was said and done, they could not be ignored.

Skating is a numbers game, yes, and it's about athleticism and technical precision. But it's also about some indefinable magic, and an emotional connection (for the pairs and ice dancers, to each other) to the audience and to the music.

ETA:
    I think too we can't forget that Canada has 2 strong pairs teams, so both D/R and M-T/M will be in the battle for an Olympic medal (likely the bronze) along with the other teams you mentioned.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-27-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    I like D&R but I think they will have a hard time mantaining a medal spot in the Olympics in Russia. The Russian teams and other top Europeans will be more favored in the scoring and Duhamel & Eric less than at Worlds in Canada. I am not saying they didnt deserve their medal, just that location makes a big difference when alot of skaters are close in a number of ways, including the energy of your performance level. They arent beating Volosozhar and Trankov unless they fall about 6 times. Silver will probably be the Germans. That leaves only the bronze available and 2 very strong Russians teams left, some strong Chinese, all going for that too.
    Apart from Pang/Tong (if his knees make it) who's the other Chinese team? The two Cdn teams were 3 and 4 at worlds. From what I've read I think Baz/Larionov could come back strong next season. I don't think Pang/Tong will be at their best due to his knees. Baring injury of course, bronze will probably be between the 2 Cdn teams, Baz/Lar and Kavaguti/Smirnov. I think Duhamel/Radford have as good a chance as any. Kava/Smir have not been brilliant lately.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Some people think a medal at Worlds (especially the year the before the Olympics) means a medal at the Olympics but in reality there have been many pairs teams with World medals and no Olympic medals. It certainly doesn't mean they can't go from 2nd or 3rd at Worlds and 5th or 6th at the Olympics.

V/T will win the gold unless they don't compete. I don't see S/S off the podium because they are much better skaters than anyone else, they just need two great programs. I don't really see P/T doing that well but only because of injuries. The 2nd through 7th place with be S/S, P/T, D/R/, K/S, MT/T and B/L in any order depending on how they compete.

D/R have done great but they have their weakness as well. They are improving but so are the other teams.

vCash
    I don't think people are predicting a medal for D&R, just that they should be looked at as a legitimate threat for a medal. Let's hope the gold medal won't be handed out in advance and that it will be a real competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I totally disagree on Sui & Han. First off their scores at Four Continents were a joke, and scoring at Four Continents is often a joke. Secondly I dont see them only getting better, I think once she grows anymore they will be lucky to continue as a pair, never mind doing the quadruple revolution maneuvers they are doing now.
    Well I was definitely right on Sui & Han. I highly doubt they will even make the Chinese Olympic team next year, and maybe not even another World team. Heck I could seem them splitting up over the summer, or after the Olympic season if not. Either way they are pretty much done.

The Germans came 2nd at Worlds despite skating like death and the home field advantage likely boosting the scores of the very well skatign 3rd place team so I was pretty much right on that too. Although at this point I would say the seemingly past their best before date Germans are within view of some teams, but whether any of them can actually beat them next year remains unlikely (the Russians meanwhile have gone clear out of view even for the Germans).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    T&M had that competition won before they even skated. There was no way the Zhangs could beat them. And S&Z didn't skate their best, I don't remember any argument that they were robbed of the silver.
    The team that was really robbed (again) was Pang & Tong, and it was a worse highway robbery than their arguably being robbed of gold in 2010, as they clearly should have won silver in 2006 and were awarded no medal at all. Anyway given what has transpired with the Zhangs I am happy they did win silver that year, which turned out to be unexpectedly their career high point in what seemed to hold huge promise and years of future dominance at the time which never came. At the time I thought the result was a joke though and would have kept S/Z the same place, but switched the 2nd and 4th placed Chinese pairs. I find it intriguing the Zhangs even tried the quad throw after the Russians performance. Did they really think they had a hope to beat them even with that at that point, and if so it was slightly delusional to put it midly. I could actually see had the Russians made mistakes throwing it, as they would have needed that to possibly beat the Russians from 4 points back after the short even had they made several mistakes. I would have skated safe and just protected the silver at that point, especialy with Pang & Tong and Shen & Zhao both skating well and putting pressure on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The team that was really robbed (again) was Pang & Tong, and it was a worse highway robbery than their arguably being robbed of gold in 2010, as they clearly should have won silver in 2006 and were awarded no medal at all. Anyway given what has transpired with the Zhangs I am happy they did win silver that year, which turned out to be unexpectedly their career high point in what seemed to hold huge promise and years of future dominance at the time which never came. At the time I thought the result was a joke though and would have kept S/Z the same place, but switched the 2nd and 4th placed Chinese pairs. I find it intriguing the Zhangs even tried the quad throw after the Russians performance. Did they really think they had a hope to beat them even with that at that point, and if so it was slightly delusional to put it midly. I could actually see had the Russians made mistakes throwing it, as they would have needed that to possibly beat the Russians from 4 points back after the short even had they made several mistakes. I would have skated safe and just protected the silver at that point, especialy with Pang & Tong and Shen & Zhao both skating well and putting pressure on.
    Yeah, Pang and Tong were robbed in 2006. I couldn't believe that the Zhangs got 2nd with what they did, with Pang and Tong off the podium completely. I thought Pang and Tong should have been second as well.. I heard that the Zhangs got sympathy "votes" from the judges because of what happened to her during the quad throw.. as to the truth of that I can't say.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Pang and Tong were robbed in 2006. I couldn't believe that the Zhangs got 2nd with what they did, with Pang and Tong off the podium completely. I thought Pang and Tong should have been second as well.. I heard that the Zhangs got sympathy "votes" from the judges because of what happened to her during the quad throw.. as to the truth of that I can't say.
    I thought Brokeback Mountain should have won the Oscar for Best Picture.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234