Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Cup holders!!!

It doesn't tell me where the Tim Hortons is. Hmph!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    Sometimes the SD is on Sat and the FD is on Sun, before the gala -- it was like this in both 2010 and 2011. The dancers miss the gala rehearsal as they're prepping for competition.
    CBC had the rights to Skate Canada those seasons. Because of Hockey Night in Canada, no way would they air SC live on a Saturday night. And CBC regularly airs amateur sports in the Sunday afternoon spot.

CTV wants skating to be shown on Saturday nights.

vCash
    Tim's is behind Section G or handy...at least on that end. At hockey, I walk down from Section M...I never really looked to see exactly the section but it is in that vicinity. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Cup holders!!!

It doesn't tell me where the Tim Hortons is. Hmph!

vCash
    Looks like I'll definitely need to bring a cushion for those chairs! :p

And I think I got all booked in at the Colonial Inn. First time ever booking a hotel online so hopefully it worked... may have to call just to confirm haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Recent schedules have had Thursday as a practise day only.

This was last year's schedule:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26 -last year
    14:05 - 15:25 Ladies Short Program
    15:45 - 16:55 Pairs Short Program
    19:30 - 20:50 Men's Short Program
    21:10 - 22:20 Short Dance

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 - last year
    10:45 - 12:20 Ladies Free Skate
    13:05 - 14:30 Pairs Free Skate
    16:40 - 17:55 Free Dance
    19:10 - 20:50 Men's Free Skate

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 28 - last year
    13:00 - 14:50 EXHIBITION GALA
    I phoned the Skate Canada office with a similar question on schedule and travel plans and they recommended that I plan the trip based on the last year's schedule. They also mentioned that practice sessions on Thurs start early, like 8/9 am, if you want to see them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    And I think I got all booked in at the Colonial Inn. First time ever booking a hotel online so hopefully it worked... may have to call just to confirm haha.
    Please take a look at the TripAdvisor reviews for the Colonial Inn--they are quite negative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Please take a look at the TripAdvisor reviews for the Colonial Inn--they are quite negative.
    Yeah it does sound pretty scary!! :S But I tried everything else within walking distance and had no luck with availability.

vCash
    Has anyone purchased airplane tickets yet? It's so weird that they still haven't posted the official schedule yet!
    Since SJ is a very tiny city and there aren't many planes going in and out, I was going to book plane tickets ASAP but I still have no idea what time the exhibition will end.
    Once they said we can refer to previous events.
    Okay, until SC 2011, EX usually ended around 7pm. However, in the last year, EX ended around 5pm.
    I don't know which schedule I should follow. I called SC and they still have no idea about the schedule.
    Also, the thing is that this Air Canada charges about $75 if you want to change your plane schedule. So I don't want to book a ticket until it is finalized.
    I know Skate Canada is one of well organized skating bodies but I don't like the way they handle this kind of stuff.
    They sold competition tickets about a month ago, and they still haven't finalized the schedule?
    I know some of my friends are even coming from abroad for the event. SJ is not even an easily accessible city from other countries! (other than the USA)
    They don't even know which event will be held on which day. Dah..
    If you are a staff of Skate Canada, please do something..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Has anyone purchased airplane tickets yet? It's so weird that they still haven't posted the official schedule yet!
    Since SJ is a very tiny city and there aren't many planes going in and out, I was going to book plane tickets ASAP but I still have no idea what time the exhibition will end.
    Once they said we can refer to previous events.
    Okay, until SC 2011, EX usually ended around 7pm. However, in the last year, EX ended around 5pm.
    You really only have one choice at the moment - 6:25 PM to Montreal then connect to Toronto. There's a later flight that goes to Halifax but you spend the night there.

Or leave on Monday.

vCash
    thanks for all the info. Do you know how far - or how long travel time is to the airport from the arena?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    thanks for all the info. Do you know how far - or how long travel time is to the airport from the arena?
    Seems like it's gonna take about 20 minutes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=h...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

vCash
    Out and About in the Martimes!

Okay, I'll be exploring Charlottetown and Halifax before I stay in Saint John. I'll probably be using Maritime Bus as my transportation. Anyone use it? Any reviews? I like that there are actual bus terminals--with a lot of the other shuttles, they tell me to go to the McDonald's or Burger King.

http://www.maritimebus.com/en/

So, what can you do in Charlottetown in October? Apparently, the Anne of Green Gables site in Cavendish and the musical at the Confederation Centre for the Arts will be closed by that point (there is still the store, at least).

And is Cows really that good for ice cream? Wasn't there in Downtown Vancouver at one point?

I am pretty sure I will be doing a half-marathon on the Sunday. Perfect timing!

http://www.peimarathon.ca/register

It seems to be one of the premier races in the region. Does that mean that weather at the time is still pretty good?

And, what can you do in Halifax in October? I want to try at least one donair place (I always hear people in Vancouver bemoan that donairs here are not nearly as good as those in Halifax).

It looks like I should've booked a hotel in Saint John early. Everything seems to be booked. Hopefully, people booked at multiple places and will cancel sooner rather than later. Also, there seems to be another part of Saint John with a good number of hotels--rates are significantly lower but of course further from the arena. Any point in staying there and getting a cab?

Of course, any recommended coffee shops in Charlottetown, Halifax and Saint John (although there is just the one) would be *greatly* appreciated.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting :
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    There's a good break for dinner on the Friday.

This Food Network addict saw a segment on "You Gotta Eat Here!" featuring the Saint John Ale House.

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/

It closes at 2am so we can do it after the day's event is over as well.

My flight is Monday morning. What am I gonna do all of Sunday?

Eh?
    vCash
    That's a perfect schedule. Awesome.

manhn, on Sunday you could attend the exhibition, and then, ummm, drink lots at the alehouse?

(Mr. DaveRocks and I fly out early Sunday morning.)

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    The exhibition practices are really fun to watch on Sunday morning. Smirnov is there this year, and he had me splitting a gut at the Gala practice at the GPF in Quebec City.

Assuming they make it to the Exhibition, of course...
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    I guess I've always just assumed that gala practices are closed to the public, so I never go to them.

Which province(s) still require that all stores be closed on Sundays? Is NB one of them? What in the world do people do without Walmart? Maybe I can go to church. And then drink at the Ale House.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

And is Cows really that good for ice cream? Wasn't there in Downtown Vancouver at one point? .
    Yes, it really is. It's a family tradition in my family to go see Anne the Musical and get cows after the show plus all the punny tshirts are fun to read.

vCash
    I guess I've always just assumed that gala practices are closed to the public, so I never go to them.

Which province(s) still require that all stores be closed on Sundays? Is NB one of them? What in the world do people do without Walmart? Maybe I can go to church. And then drink at the Ale House.
    Most stores are open 12 - 5 on Saturday.

vCash

Of course, any recommended coffee shops in Halifax would be *greatly* appreciated.
    Are you staying downtown? If so, just off the top of my head....there is The Wired Monk, Steve-O-Reno's, Just Us and Cabin Coffee all in the downtown area.

Can you tell I work downtown?
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast