Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: October 22 DWTS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    I wonder why some of the couples spend so much time on the lifts? Like Max and Kristie, when the chances are it's not going to look very good and they waste valuable time that could have been used working of something that would look good.
    I think the viewers and audience are supposed to be wowed when a couple like Max and Kristie peform a lift because (a) Kristie is not exactly a spring chicken and (b) she's not a skinny B*.

vCash
    Just watched both eps now, much on FF

I'm going to say the next 3 to go will be Kristie, Kelly and Apollo in some order. Kristie doesn't have the consistent high scores, Kelly is hit and miss and doesn't have a massive fan base, and even though Apollo was a stand out in his season, against some of the other All Stars his weaknesses are really showing. Karina also seems kind of meh about this whole season, she doesn't have that determination she usually has.

After that will be Sabrina and Emmitt. Sabrina has the scores to win, but I really don't think people like her very much. Emmitt also has the scores, but is a bit boring this year and I don't think Cheryl is going to help him gain votes.

Which means we'll be left with a season 8 finale all over again. Melissa will still get 3rd and Gilles and Shawn will go 1-2 separated by a super tiny percent again. Gilles may take it just because Shawn did last time, but he doesn't seem to be as popular this season, plus Shawn has all the votes from her fans AND Dereks. My 87 year old grandmother watches and votes for whoever Derek is with, even if she has no clue who they are. I don't think many people are voting for Gilles because of Peta.

And now that I've called that, expect a Kristie, Kelly and Apollo finale

gold dust woman
    vCash
    What exactly is Apolo's weakness? It's certainly nothing on the technical side...

vCash
    IMO, Apolo doesn't "mesh"/connect quite as well with Karina as he did with Julianne.
    Gilles has something of the same problem with Peta.

The magic "something" that both had with their previous partners is missing.
    I don't think that lack of desire/effort on their part is responsible.

vCash
    I don't have much faith in a good dance coming from Kristie or Emmit, so let them go first. Still hoping for a good dance out of Kelly and Apolo. Would love to see Melissa with a great dance, but agree it will probably come down to Shawn and Giles.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    IMO, Apolo doesn't "mesh"/connect quite as well with Karina as he did with Julianne.
    Gilles has something of the same problem with Peta.

The magic "something" that both had with their previous partners is missing.
    I don't think that lack of desire/effort on their part is responsible.
    ITA with all of that!

vCash
    I would be stunned if the final three isn't Gilles, Shawn and Emmitt.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    No lifts in the rumba. No lifts in most of the standard and Latin dances. Lifts are generally only allowed in dances like Argentine tango. Some weeks, like last week when they had the wide range of styles, it was declared that lifts were allowed. As the group dances were freestyles, those allowed lifts. As a general rule, no lifts on DWTS except in Argentine tango and freestyle. Carrie Ann is usually very fussy about it.
    No lifts in any Standard or Latin ever, period. (Again, some steps like Spanish drag are borderline, as are stuff like death spirals.) In real ballroom they're not even allowed in Showcase, only in the Theater Arts or Cabaret division. They tend to follow the rules when it suits them, and then whenever the producers need drama or something, Carrie Ann becomes the Lift Nazi. Because they're doing Showcase Argentine (do not get the AT people started about the various Things Which Are Wrong With DWTS AT, suffice to say I guess they stray worse than they do from ballroom) they do a lot of aerials and lifts, and in freestyle they can do whatever they want. But they lead can't be completely supporting the follow wiht her feet all the way off the floor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    No lifts in any Standard or Latin ever, period. (Again, some steps like Spanish drag are borderline, as are stuff like death spirals.) In real ballroom they're not even allowed in Showcase, only in the Theater Arts or Cabaret division. They tend to follow the rules when it suits them, and then whenever the producers need drama or something, Carrie Ann becomes the Lift Nazi. Because they're doing Showcase Argentine (do not get the AT people started about the various Things Which Are Wrong With DWTS AT, suffice to say I guess they stray worse than they do from ballroom) they do a lot of aerials and lifts, and in freestyle they can do whatever they want. But they lead can't be completely supporting the follow wiht her feet all the way off the floor.
    This is why I asked the question. Kirsty did an assisted cartwheel. Which, in my opinion, is a lift. so, why wasn't she called out on it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    This is why I asked the question. Kirsty did an assisted cartwheel. Which, in my opinion, is a lift. so, why wasn't she called out on it?
    She did it in the Charleston. That week lifts were allowed in all the dances. She did it again in the group number, which was freestyle.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    She did it in the Charleston. That week lifts were allowed in all the dances. She did it again in the group number, which was freestyle.
    Yep. Charleston isn't a ballroom dance (maybe the Swing people do it? I don't know, I've never been into swing) and they were explicitly allowed to do lifts and tricks and freestyle allows stunts as well. Technically, not only wold lifts and cartwheels not be allowed, no tumbling, flips, splits, or anything else is really kosher for the nineteen dances. (No, I don't know why something like a backbend drop in mambo is okay, except that American Rhythm is still kind of nebulous in what is and isn't allowed, ditto American Smooth. Latin and Standard in particular aren't--in fact in Standard strictly speaking anything out of closed hold other than prep and spinning out for a bow is wrong.)

vCash
    If Kelly and Val are not "hooking up" she deserves an Emmy!

vCash
    I guess nobody remembered that DwtS was last night? lol!

vCash
    ^^^
    I wondered the same.
    Hurricane Sandy may have had something to do with that.

vCash
    I caught some of the dances on the ABC web site this morning.

I think Gilles is overplaying his sexiness. He looks like he's trying way to hard now and that makes him less sexy. I thought he looked borderline silly in his solo dance.

Shawn & Derek were solid but not spectacular. Not sure why Len was grumbling about the tractor and the cow in the background, LOL.

Let never have a country themed night again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Let never have a country themed night again.
    I'm afraid we're stuck with it as a promo for the CMAs or whatever award show ABC was hawking last night.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Apolo was really good and got 3 10's.

I think Kelly might be gone tonight. She did a tango that really just ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I'm afraid we're stuck with it as a promo for the CMAs or whatever award show ABC was hawking last night.
    To say nothing of the plugs for "Nashville" and Reba McIntire's new show....

I'm only surprised Emmitt isn't at the bottom. He was terrible in the group dance.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Interesting that Sabrina is still at the very top after two weeks, but I'm okay with her being the top score-getter. I personally think the judges are padding her a bit because let's face it, there is a REASON she didn't win her original season. She may get the scores, but she doesn't get the fan votes. I mean, she's already been in the bottom two once (at least, I think it was a legit bottom two; I can't remember if it was or if it was just "in jeopardy").

I think the judges really want Kirstie to stay a bit longer, or they are hoping to confuse her fans and get her out like Bristol. Maybe they don't like where the Kelly and Val thing is going and are trying to get them out before things get awkward. Who knows? Conspiracy theories rock!

I'm not really worried about Shawn. She was a late bloomer, even in her original season. I don't think she got her first perfect 30 until right before the finale, if not in the finale. And maybe I"m biased, but I've loved all her dances so far...nothing boring or awkward. They've all been fun and memorable.

vCash
    I agree with you about Sabrina, Spareroom. She's technically good, but I can understand why she may not be the fans' top choice. Now Apolo wow'ed me last night, the producers sure gave him and Karina an emotional song to work with.
    Emmitt would be my choice to go tonight

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast