Thread: Eliot Halverson

vCash

Eliot Halverson

I haven't heard from him in awhile. I'm assuming he isn't skating anymore, at least competitively - right? Does anyone know if he's doing shows or what he's up to?

vCash
    No, he is not skating anymore. He moved away from Michigan earlier this year.

vCash
    We saw him coaching at the Ann Arbor Springtime Invitational this past May. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I spoke with him this past summer. He is healthy and happy. Done with skating himself, and looking forward to a new chapter in his life.

vCash
    ^^ That's good to hear. Was it injuries that slowed him down and lessened his opportunities, or other factors (such as deep senior Nationals field)?

vCash
    As I recall, it was a back injury that caused Halverson to miss the 2010-2011 season and it prevented him from ever getting back into competitive shape after that.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, yes, I seem to recall vaguely he was injured. I'm sorry to hear that the injury ended his promising career competing as an eligible skater. But it's good to know that he's now healthy and happy, and still involved in skating.

vCash
    Bumping this thread up for a skater sighting in New York City on Wednesday, March 27 at the Rockefeller Center rink!

"Englishman In New York" choreographed by [Young Artists Showcase] YAS 3 Champion Mark Hanretty, Skated by Eliot Halverson - 5 photos posted on the Ice Theatre of New York's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0042206&type=1

ETA: Icenetwork may have videos up in the near future.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-31-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I really enjoyed watching Eliot's expressive performance to a jazzy, instrumental version of "An Englishman in New York" - video link is posted in the GSD thread for last month's ITNY show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3908912
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Eliot Halverson of Ice Theatre of New York performs Englishman In New York, choreographed by Mark Hanretty, at the 2013 Skatetacular/Hurricane Sandy benefit show in West Orange, New Jersey on April 20, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9J-NfNoe4

vCash
    ^^ Thanks, Sylvia.

vCash
    His Twitter account seems to be out of control--many apparently hacked recent tweets (in Russian, no less). However, his Facebook page- www.facebook.com/EliotHalverson -has up-to date info and photos. He is coaching at Chelsea Piers and elsewhere in NYC and recently participated in the big competition for young skating choreographers (whose name eludes me).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deetrakt View Post
    He is coaching at Chelsea Piers and elsewhere in NYC and recently participated in the big competition for young skating choreographers (whose name eludes me).
    Young Artists Showcase - see post #10 above for a video link. August 2013 article excerpt: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ews&print=true
    "I had some pinched nerves and arthritis in my back," he said. "Every time I tried to come back, I knew my body wasn't able to do it any more. Losing the competitive skating side of my life was really hard. It's been a long road, but I'm happy with where I am right now."

After spending a couple of years coaching in Ann Arbor, Mich., Halverson moved to New York City a year ago. He coaches in Central Park in the winter, and at the Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers in the spring and summer.

"When I stopped skating, I told people I was done with it," he said. "I wanted to distance myself from skating, because I was really hurt and I wanted to put up a wall. I wanted to be an actor; I wanted to move on. But in the last year, I've embraced my love for skating. It's been part of my life for a reason, and I want to be a coach and a choreographer."
    Halverson is also listed as part of the skating staff for Figure Skating in Harlem: http://www.figureskatinginharlem.org...o-we-are/staff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Young Artists Showcase - see post #10 above for a video link. August 2013 article excerpt: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ews&print=true
    It's also covered in EH's Facebook posts, beginning last summer but continuing into December, I believe, when he announced he had made the finals (final 2, I think). I'm guessing that someone else won, because I believe that's the last reference to it he's made.

BTW, in following up, I noticed that he's still only 23! It makes sense, though, because his heyday as a junior competitor was 2008-2009. It must have been very tough to go from being US Junior Champion to shortly thereafter having to give up competitive skating. The "Englishman in New York" piece shows off what a natural, musical skater/performer he was (and still is).

PS He has one of the few smiles that could give Jason Brown a run for his money!

PPS To clarify, he says in a number of posts from summer 2013 through December 2013 that he's participating in an online choreographic competition, this time as a choreographer!