Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anna Pogorilaya

vCash

Anna Pogorilaya

I'm surprised Sot isnt on the Worlds Team but given the scandal she would be stoned by the press/fans had she not be on the podium

Anna is in the Worlds entry list, considering Pogo was a nobody 2 years ago, given I think she passed puberty which seemed to be kind to her and her huge 3-3 jumps how well can she compete with the other russian girls, there might be alot of reshuffling next quad with the depth but she has vastly improved, I think she will stick around for a while barring injuries

vCash
    She looked fierce at the Russian Cup final and her 3lutz/3toe is amongst the best in the world, alongside Yuna, Gold, Edmunds.

vCash
    Watching the Russian Cup I was impressed how much more polished Pogorilaya looks now with comparison to the beginning of the season. In September she looked to me still a bit awkward but she is definitely getting there. It's a pity that Liza is injured and has had such problems this year. Leonova is nowhere near to where she was some 2-3 years ago. And Radionova will be eligible only next season. So much talent and they have nearly no one to send to worlds! I do think Pogorilaya is better choice than Leonova and Gosviani (although I do love Gosviani's skating). I hope that Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya manage to get back three spots, otherwise next season it will be again so sad watching how Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Pogorilaya and Sotnikova (and possibly recovered Tyktamysheva) are again fighting who will go to worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I'm surprised Sot isnt on the Worlds Team but given the scandal she would be stoned by the press/fans had she not be on the podium

Anna is in the Worlds entry list, considering Pogo was a nobody 2 years ago, given I think she passed puberty which seemed to be kind to her and her huge 3-3 jumps how well can she compete with the other russian girls, there might be alot of reshuffling next quad with the depth but she has vastly improved, I think she will stick around for a while barring injuries
    Sotnikova skated great and won. Scandal is nonsense.

Pogorilaya looked like she'd be second to Lipnitkaia but then had a terrible time of it in GPF and Russian nationals. But she did seem OK at the COR final but maybe she's like Korobeynikova?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Sotnikova skated great and won. Scandal is nonsense.

Pogorilaya looked like she'd be second to Lipnitkaia but then had a terrible time of it in GPF and Russian nationals. But she did seem OK at the COR final but maybe she's like Korobeynikova?
    Whether or not you think the scandal is nonsense, many others do think the result is scandalous and Adelina will be under scrutiny with near-future results.

Anyway, I don't think the selection of Anna was controversial, but I think an equally good case can be made for Leonova, who skated very well at Europeans and Russians.

vCash
    She's been my favorite since I first saw her skate this year, tied with Adelina Sotnikova, so I'm pumped that she has this great opportunity to show the world what she's capable of!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    Whether or not you think the scandal is nonsense, many others do think the result is scandalous and Adelina will be under scrutiny with near-future results.

Anyway, I don't think the selection of Anna was controversial, but I think an equally good case can be made for Leonova, who skated very well at Europeans and Russians.
    I too think calling the results 'scandalous' is nonsense (to borrow the word from the previous poster). A case can be made for either Sot or Kim to win. Just because you didn't like the results doesn't mean they are scandalous. Many well known skaters have already acknowledged that Adelina deserved to win. I have no problem with people having a different opinion on who should have won, but it's unnecessary to call it a scandal every time a Russian wins and your favorite does not.

Actually Leonova didn't skate that well at the Europeans (she did much better at the nationals). She started off strong, but the second half of her performance was weak. She looked clearly disappointed with her LP skate. I have no problem with Pogorilaya being given an opportunity to go to worlds. She has been the surprise of the season. She came out of nowhere and made it to the GPF. She appears to have a competitive mentality. May be the RSF wants to see how she does at world level. They have such a depth in the ladies field, it is good for them to give an opportunity to Anna and evaluate her.

vCash
    Pogo's basis for being selected to Worlds was at this local competition ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm8O4xvnu2w

Leonova too would be a good choice too
    but Pogo has a higher technical base value than Leonova can get

vCash
    I'm impressed by Leonova's persistence, girl has heart.

vCash
    Pogo reminds me a little of a young Butyrskaya. I'll be keeping an eye on her development. I think there's potential.
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 03-07-2014 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I too think calling the results 'scandalous' is nonsense (to borrow the word from the previous poster). A case can be made for either Sot or Kim to win.
    Please. Sotnikova's PCS skills are nowhere near Kostner's or Kim's. If judges marked PCS appropriately (as in according to the criteria and not according to how many jumps you landed), Kostner would have won and Sotnikova would have probably been off the podium.

This result is about as legitimate as Sarah Hughes' win.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-07-2014 at 02:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Please. Sotnikova's PCS skills are nowhere near Kostner's or Kim's. If judges marked PCS appropriately (as in according to the criteria and not according to how many jumps you landed), Kostner would have won and Sotnikova would have probably been off the podium.

Landing jumps (quads for Men, 3x3 by Ladies) always seems to raise PCS under the IJS.

Joe Inman brought this up before Vancouver and a good part of the skating world erupted in outrage by his suggesting PCS be scored more accurately.

Mention Inman today and lots of folks will think "cheater."

Sadly, you are swimming against the tide. But suggesting Adelina benefitted from this without acknowledging that it is the accepted practice of the majority of IJS judges shows what your real point is here.

If Julia had landed her big tricks and all of her jumps she probably would have won the OGM.
    Check your IJS rulebook, and read the chapter on "momentum."
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-07-2014 at 03:27 PM.

vCash

I agree with that last statement. That's where I have a problem with other posters who conveniently ignore that. My problem is not with asking for lower pcs for Sot (I would have probably placed her second behind Kim; Kostner's skate really wasn't that great). It is with calling it a 'scandal'. Why are they not calling Hughes' win a scandal? It's because she is American (and Sot is Russian).

I also agree with Mr.Lucky. When a skater lands the jumps the pcs usually go up. When a skater gets the audience excited, the pcs go up.It is the trend in FS judging and not just in IJS. It's not different from the 6.0 system. When a skater landed the jumps under 6.0, the presentation/artistic marks were always higher than someone that did not land the jumps but skated an overall better program.

Overall I did not have a problem with Adelina's win (although my slight preference would have been for Kim); just the 149 PCS. With around 144-145 for PCS (she did skate with a lot more confidence than Kostner and created a lot more excitement than Kim) it would have been a photofinish for either skater. When it's a very close result, I usually accept the result; like Michelle/Tara- I was not heartbroken over it the way other Michelle fans were; Tara earned it, and so did Adelina.

Funny how this thread about Anna has deteriorated into a discussion of the results of the most recent Olympics.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-07-2014 at 04:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    But suggesting Adelina benefitted from this without acknowledging that it is the accepted practice of the majority of IJS judges shows what your real point is here.
    My real point is that the judging system needs a lot of development and refinement so that mindless automaton judging like this can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    If Julia had landed her big tricks and all of her jumps she probably would have won the OGM.
    If anybody landed their big tricks, they could have become the OGM. That's the problem. That the differences between skaters' PCS skillsets aren't reflected in the marks.

(she did skate with a lot more confidence than Kostner and created a lot more excitement than Kim)
    That's one criteria of one PCS mark (Projection from Performance/Execution). It's the usual anchoring on a 'good performance' when there's much more that should be taken into consideration. Happens whenever somebody skates 'well.' And the opposite happens whenever somebody makes a noticeable mistake(s). Look under: S/P being "robbed" of Oly gold.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-07-2014 at 05:47 PM.

vCash

Funny how this thread about Anna has deteriorated into a discussion of the results of the most recent Olympics.
    enough with Sot already
    Pogs is the one going to Worlds

vCash
    I love Pogo for her fighting spirit and for how much she has improved since last season.

But if she got 9s on the PCS for a powerfully skated clean program, I would complain as well.

vCash

Sarah Hughes' result was legitimate. I am not a fan but she skated the best that night. Adelina also skated very well. She absolutely belonged on the podium. I do think her score was inflated by pro-Russian judges and the tech controller. If it was a conspiracy, it was scandalous. If not, the judges are given some leeway to express their personal preferences, so I don't think it rises to the level of scandal.

vCash
    Can we please talk about Anna in this thread?

She surprised me this season, and shocked me when she beat Carolina in a GP. She could be overtaken by other Russian young ladies by 2018, but she is competitive by nature, so she may survive.

vCash
    Wow, Anna's definitely improved since I last saw her.

That flip comes way too late in the program. She might want to rethink that.

Her music is so bombastic and heavy though; next season I hope she skates to something a little lighter. I think she has the potential to be quite elegant.

She may play a bit of a spoiler in Japan if she skates clean in both the short and free.

vCash
    Is there a chance Pogo can hop feds to Ukraine? She has ancestry there, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast