vCash

9 yr old Shot, Mistaken for a Skunk

Would like to know how much the relative had imbibed prior to pulling the trigger.

9 Yr Old or Skunk?

vCash
    No kidding, how do you mistake a child for a skunk?
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    No kidding, how do you mistake a child for a skunk?
    Well, anything black and white must by definition be a skunk. I hope she pulls through ok.

vCash
    Why would one shoot a skunk anyway unless it's rabid and poses a present danger?
    Last edited by orbitz; 10-22-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    A woman in Maine was hanging out her clothes in her backyard. Because it was cold she was wearing gloves on her hands. They were white. A Whitetail Deer's tail is white. She is dead. The hunter who shot her was aquited, because it was an understandable mistake. I remember following the court case at the time and being horrified.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    A woman in Maine was hanging out her clothes in her backyard. Because it was cold she was wearing gloves on her hands. They were white. A Whitetail Deer's tail is white. She is dead. The hunter who shot her was aquited, because it was an understandable mistake. I remember following the court case at the time and being horrified.
    Did they not see the clothes? Or the house? Why is someone hunting in a neighborhood a stone's throw from a backyard?!?!?!

I have seen plenty a skunk in my time. They are the size of a baby. Nooo idea how a 9-y-o could be mistaken for one. Unless she was literally crawling in the grass with the skunk hat on.

vCash
    From article on CNN

As the two to three dozen guests milled about, the girl went to hide on the edge of a hill.

It was past 8 p.m. and the sun had long set. A relative spotted the dark figure in the distance, mistook it for a skunk and fired his shotgun, said Officer Greg Carney with the township police.

The girl was hit in the neck, back and arm - and flown to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, about 30 miles away. There, she remained in the intensive care unit, Carney said.

Police will determine later Monday whether they will charge the shooter, whom they did not name. Nor did they say how he was related to the girl.

They did add, however, that the man had not been drinking.

vCash
    They did add, however, that the man had not been drinking.
    He had perhaps, however, been inhaling... And should they change the name of the county from Beaver County?

vCash
    One hopes that people that own gun would be more responsible. Why would you automatically shoot at a "dark figure in the distance" without verifying first what it is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    That's just awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    One hopes that people that own gun would be more responsible. Why would you automatically shoot at a "dark figure in the distance" without verifying first what it is?
    Amen to that! How the heck do you confuse a 9 year old child with a skunk?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Amen to that! How the heck do you confuse a 9 year old child with a skunk?
    ...and even if you did, why would anyone shoot a skunk? It's not a threat to anyone's life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ...and even if you did, why would anyone shoot a skunk? It's not a threat to anyone's life.
    Good point. Anyway, I hope the girl recovers fully.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    If you hit it at exactly the right place, it'll probably stink up your entire yard anyway. Best to leave it be!

vCash
    Why did this man have a gun at a Halloween party?

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Why did this man have a gun at a Halloween party?
    Guns are being allowed everywhere these days. Bars for example. Even written into law.

Bobby Jindal signed into law that concealed guns can be brought into churches.

It's getting ridiculous. People can't go anywhere today without guns being around them.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    That's just awful.
    Her name was Karen Wood, and the shooting happened in 1988. The local feeling was that it was as much her fault as his, for not wearing hunter orange, and wearing white gloves. He was completely unpunished. I remember being shocked, because at the very least, he should have been banned from owning firearms or hunting for the rest of his life.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Guns are being allowed everywhere these days. Bars for example. Even written into law.

Bobby Jindal signed into law that concealed guns can be brought into churches.

It's getting ridiculous. People can't go anywhere today without guns being around them.
    We have some of the strictest gun laws in the US, here in NJ. Not saying that people who should not have guns don't get them. But, you carry a concealed weapon here, and get caught, you're screwed.