Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I wonder if V&M greeted him.... it must be like dealing with divorced parents, lol. We know that Meryl is still on friendly terms with him.
    I don't see why they wouldn't if they happen to run into him at comps. It is not like he won't be a part of the skating world. There will probably be many more encounters with him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Weird how Anna said they wanted to watch Tessa and Scott skate their SD but were told to leave when the picture says otherwise. Unless they were told to move before the program ended. Has to be awkward for the Canton teams to deal with all this, like children in a divorce.

Was Igor at Skate America? Can't recall at the moment.
    I would think it would be most awkward for Marina. But they are adults. I'm sure they can handle it

vCash
    I think everyone in the KnK were asked not to leave the area until the next skaters were on the ice, but once the skater had been introduced, the peeps in the KnC were expected to vacate. I noticed a couple of coaches tell their skaters the same thing last night, so it wasn't just Igor telling C/L to stay put/leave.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I wonder if V&M greeted him.... it must be like dealing with divorced parents, lol. We know that Meryl is still on friendly terms with him.
    He gave warm hugs after Tessa and scott won tonight.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    It was mentioned in one of the Skate Canada threads that Igor and Marina hugged there. It seems to be ok, at least in public anyway.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Thank you for posting the article!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    It was mentioned in one of the Skate Canada threads that Igor and Marina hugged there. It seems to be ok, at least in public anyway.
    Well, what should they do in public, start shooting at each other? Or stick their toques out? Figure skating is sometimes a hypocritical world; people are smiling at each other even if they wish they could strangle each other.

vCash
    For two people who parted on terms that weren't exactly friendly, I would expect them to acknowledge each other with a head nod, maybe even a smile. A hug seems a bit more friendly, at least to me. Perhaps the hugging doesn't mean as much in the skating culture?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    For two people who parted on terms that weren't exactly friendly, I would expect them to acknowledge each other with a head nod, maybe even a smile. A hug seems a bit more friendly, at least to me. Perhaps the hugging doesn't mean as much in the skating culture?
    could be a beauty pageant hug

vCash
    Interview with Shpilband after Skate Canada concluded (in Russian): http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5813.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    And it says???
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Did they whisper anything into each other ear while grinning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    And it says???
    It says he is pleased with Riazanova/Tkachenko's performances, but there is still work to do. Shpilband also remarked that the referee missed the extended lift by Virtue/Moir in the short dance. He said Cappellini/Lanotte are very strong this year and have improved from Finlandia. He said that Virtue/Moir are not in their best shape, but it's hard for him to comment on it since he didn't train them this season. He was asked why he chose the same music for C/L as V/M, and said that they have very different interpretations and that Carmen is a classic and will continue to be used. Shpilband also said that he spoke to the judges and that some prefer Anna and Luca's FD for the drama, composition, etc.

Sorry, don't have time for a word for word translation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaud View Post
    He gave warm hugs after Tessa and scott won tonight.
    and then gave an interview in Russian pointing out they should have gotten an extended lift deduction in the SD, that they are not in great shape and that some judges preferred his Carmen to Marina's Carmen.

vCash
    It looks like Igor has been working hard with his teams this season and he has results to back it up. I'm happy that he was able to spring back so quickly after getting fired so unceremoniously from Canton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    It says he is pleased with Riazanova/Tkachenko's performances, but there is still work to do. Shpilband also remarked that the referee missed the extended lift by Virtue/Moir in the short dance. He said Cappellini/Lanotte are very strong this year and have improved from Finlandia. He said that Virtue/Moir are not in their best shape, but it's hard for him to comment on it since he didn't train them this season. He was asked why he chose the same music for C/L as V/M, and said that they have very different interpretations and that Carmen is a classic and will continue to be used. Shpilband also said that he spoke to the judges and that some prefer Anna and Luca's FD for the drama, composition, etc.

Sorry, don't have time for a word for word translation.

Translation = You are both dead to me!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, what should they do in public, start shooting at each other? Or stick their toques out? Figure skating is sometimes a hypocritical world; people are smiling at each other even if they wish they could strangle each other.
    Somehow, I can't imagine Linichuk hugging Zoueva in that situation.

Honestly, I think Shpilband looks better -- calmer and happier -- than he has in years, being on the chase.

Both V/M and D/W are considered front-runners for gold and silver in Sochi, and no one thinks that's because they've made a break-through with Zoueva. If they keep this advantage, it's because he was responsible for getting them to that level. If they lose the advantage, it was on Zoueva's watch. As SLIVER said, if D/W come in second (or lower) to V/M this season, there's a good chance he'll get them back, although if Davis is (still) involved with Andreev, this could get tricky.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Translation = You are both dead to me!

He knows they will never leave Marina for him, whereas he may have a chance with D/W. Why wouldn't he want to politick to give himself a chance to coach to another Olympic gold?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Somehow, I can't imagine Linichuk hugging Zoueva in that situation.

Honestly, I think Shpilband looks better -- calmer and happier -- than he has in years, being on the chase.

Both V/M and D/W are considered front-runners for gold and silver in Sochi, and no one thinks that's because they've made a break-through with Zoueva. If they keep this advantage, it's because he was responsible for getting them to that level. If they lose the advantage, it was on Zoueva's watch. As SLIVER said, if D/W come in second (or lower) to V/M this season, there's a good chance he'll get them back, although if Davis is (still) involved with Andreev, this could get tricky.
    Believe it or not I see D/W as the team to beat, especially after watching SC and SA back to back. They came out stronger.

Unless D/W have some sort of injury, I don't see anyone outside of V/M beating them.

Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    He knows they will never leave Marina for him, whereas he may have a chance with D/W. Why wouldn't he want to politick to give himself a chance to coach to another Olympic gold?

That is not going to happen. Surprisingly it's Virtue and Moir who have shown to be more vurnerable after Shpilband's departure. Scott is already carrying an injury. If anything D/W came out smelling like roses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Things I gleaned from this article:

1. As I already knew, Meryl Davis is the classiest person ever.

2. Igor was pretty blindsided.

3. Unless someone writes a tell-all years down the road, we'll never actually know what happened in Canton.

4. I think Igor may wind up having higher-quality skaters and programs than Marina in the long run (when we count out D/W and V/M--they're in a class by themselves). He seems to have a better grasp of the way things work in the sport than she does (and I'm not really sure that, beyond those teams, Marina can handle the complete organization and packaging of skaters without a partner).
    I totally agree with this post.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    On the other hand, V/M were within a hair of D/W's SA scores, and everything he mentioned can be fixed -- the judges could get used to V/M's program with exposure, the lift can be shortened, they have plenty of time to get back into shape, and heal his shoulder -- which gives V/M a greater upside.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast