vCash

Kurt Browning dissects what jumps feel like

I liked this blog post and thought it deserved its own thread, away from the Kurt/Evgeny one.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...e-addicts.html

I highly doubt that anybody can achieve greatness within their jumping unless they love it. Who wants to take the risk over and over and then over again to learn a jump unless they need, crave and love the feeling. Jumping is fun and when done correctly, does not hurt at all. Have you ever been on an airplane and did not notice that you had landed? That is what a good jump feels like. When the arc of the jump matches the distance in some perfect equation created by Mother Nature and Einstein it is smooth as silk. Let me try to describe, from my point of view of course, what a great jump feels like for us skaters.

First off, there's the anticipation. As I pick up speed and enter my planned steps before the jump, I should have a clear and open mind so I can focus on the correct speed, balance and preparation. The trouble is, I always seem to save a little bit of my concentration for the 'what if' factor. What if I land it.I will be happy and safe. What if I fall I will not be happy and possibly hurting! This 'what if' factor is not a good thing and when it takes over in a show (or heaven forbid a competition), disaster waits for you at the other end of the rink. No, the only thing going through my head should be a mixture of concentration and positive thoughts.

vCash
    Great blog by Kurt on jumping - very interesting. Thanks for posting he link.

vCash
    Love the analogy of the plane landing as well. Thanks for the link.

vCash
    Thanks triple toe. Always like to read the experience of these great skaters, and the difficult things they do which we may not be aware of as they make all these jumps seemingly easy.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Kurt is very articulate. Its great to see him as a veteran still so enthusiastic about his sport and deeply engaged. Also wonderful to see him always offering his viewpoints and knowledge in a positive way. The landing plane analogy really does make us who have never jumped on skates before realize exactly what a great jump landing feels like.

It must be extremely difficult to always be in full concentration mode and keep away those distracting thoughts. Its difficult for everyone (not just athletes) to keep one's mind focused and chattering thoughts to a minimum.

vCash
    Thank you triple toe! This is fascinating reading. Not only did I enjoy it, I really learned a lot.

vCash
    What can be said about Kurt Browning other than that he outclasses the field every time. Beautiful skating,beyond compare; footwork from the gods; love of the profession, always helping young skaters. I am lucky to live in Michigan and can always watch CBC and hear his commentary. Never mean, always finding something good to say about every skater.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    There is nothing better than a well done jump. I only do singles now (had doubles as a kid), and the flip is my favorite. The vault, the hang time, the easy landing. It's an awesome feeling. Kurt did a good job describing the feelings.