Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I woke up and checked the CofR results. Looked at the general info thread first for the link and saw Johnny in last and then realized it was the entries list and that of course the two USA entries were last. Whew, Johnny in 10th...in the entries list only. Then I went to the results page to see where he really placed.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    BTW, the only mini controversies I can recall associated with Johnny at 2010 Olympics were: 1) a fan giving Johnny a crown of roses after his fp, which he promptly placed on his head in the kiss 'n cry, which some critics castigated him for doing, but perhaps they were just jealous; 2) Johnny responding to media queries re Inman's infamous email to judges; 3) some fur-flying threats re Johnny's original sp costume; 4) Two Canadian broadcasters despicably making fun of Johnny and questioning his gender; 5) Johnny placing 6th overall in both sp and fp behind at least two competitors who clearly performed very poorly. Yep, Johnny was Heartbroken, as were many of his fans, but as far as Johnny complaining a lot,
    Johnny said because of the politics in skating, Olympics could only allow one American on the podium. Since Lysacek was on there, he himself wouldn't be able to be on there as well.

vCash
    Is Johnny still filming his reality show? Or will he be during this skating season? After Finlandia and his SP here I can't shake the feeling this comeback has more to do with providing footage for his show. Since Vancouver he has consistently fed the idea that he was robbed in Vancouver and that skating needs him to put fans in the stands but when you put out in interviews that your coach told you to just skate around to the music and hit pretty poses instead of actual choreography I can't take him seriously. Seems to me he knows he isn't competitive so he is going to continue the Vancouver myth while mocking the system. They only reason I can think why he would do this is to provide footage for that little show of his.

vCash
    Johnny is no longer filming his show, the second season already aired and focused on Johnny's life outside of skating so he did not need to be a competitive skater to film his show. Why is it impossible to believe he returned to competitive skating because he missed skating for a living?

vCash
    So he wasn't picked up for a third season? How did the second season do in ratings without skating storyline? I don't get the channel it's shown on so haven't seen the show.

vCash
    The second season is awful. The few episodes I caught were just stupid and really contrived. I mean the first season was actually watchable since it followed him during the Olympic season and was basically a continuation of BGJW. As far as ratings- any original programming by Logo that's not Rupaul's Drag Race doesn't really do well.

vCash
    Since he withdrew, does Johnny still get a bye to nationals? I'm disappointed his comeback didn't go the way he wanted to.

I have to admit, when I read 'injury' I wondered if that was actually embarrassment.

vCash
    Doesn't he already get a bye for competing in Finlandia Trophy?

vCash
    Distraught Weir Withdraws from Cup of Russia
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121110/177356335.html

Weir, 28, said he expected crisis talks with his national federation about the Trophee Eric Bompard.

“I’m unsure if they’ll be open to it, simply because I’ve withdrawn from one Grand Prix and the other one could give a chance to another skater that has never competed in a Grand Prix before, so this evening I’ll be sitting on the phone with America all night,” he said.

Weir admitted he is not yet in top competitive form following his decision to return to the competitive circuit after two years away.

“I’ve had problems with my body and my condition since I’ve come back to the sport. I’ve had a very rapid weight loss to get prepared and my body hasn’t completely learned again what it’s like to fall,” he said.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Doesn't he already get a bye for competing in Finlandia Trophy?
    Why would that get him a bye to nationals? (I'm honestly asking, I don't know why it would.)

I think you only get a bye through the competition you have a conflict with. So it makes sense Finlandia might have given him a bye through Regionals, but it would have been CoR that got him through sectionals- however, since he didn't complete CoR, I'm not sure it still counts. Or maybe it does because he did the short.

I would be he and his coach talked about this with the federation before withdrawing. He probably would have skate hurt if he lost the bye, I mean he couldn't have gotten worse than 10th anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think you only get a bye through the competition you have a conflict with.
    Ok, I suppose this is the way it works. I sort of had the idea that competing in an international ISU event would be a pass ta Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Distraught Weir Withdraws from Cup of Russia
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121110/177356335.html

Weir, 28, said he expected crisis talks with his national federation about the Trophee Eric Bompard.

“I’m unsure if they’ll be open to it, simply because I’ve withdrawn from one Grand Prix and the other one could give a chance to another skater that has never competed in a Grand Prix before, so this evening I’ll be sitting on the phone with America all night,” he said.

Weir admitted he is not yet in top competitive form following his decision to return to the competitive circuit after two years away.

“I’ve had problems with my body and my condition since I’ve come back to the sport. I’ve had a very rapid weight loss to get prepared and my body hasn’t completely learned again what it’s like to fall,” he said.
    What I've bolded made me chuckle. Ohhhh Johnny, how very true. I'm guessing that between the weight loss, the amount of time since he really trained and him now 28, falling may hurt more now than it used to.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Without getting too much into the CoR skating on this thread, there were some elements of it that I really liked.....
    Would he benefit from some therapy expert to help him get the correct mind set?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    Without getting too much into the CoR skating on this thread, there were some elements of it that I really liked.....
    Would he benefit from some therapy expert to help him get the correct mind set?
    huh? fix HIS mindset? Is there anyone who's qualified in all the land?

vCash
    He will have a press conference here at 2.30 (Russian time).

vCash
    Tricks up his sleeve (mentioned in ice network article)? Wonder what they might be and if we will ever get to see them. Sorry, he has withdrawn from COR. Did a doctor there evaluate this injury? Sadly, I don't think Johnny is on the "edge of glory".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Tricks up his sleeve (mentioned in ice network article)? Wonder what they might be and if we will ever get to see them. Sorry, he has withdrawn from COR. Did a doctor there evaluate this injury? Sadly, I don't think Johnny is on the "edge of glory".
    I heard Johnny re injured his leg after two bad falls at morning practice. From what I read on twitter from fans who were in the rink, Johnny was with the team doctor for a long period of time until it was announced he had withdrawn. I'm guessing they were trying to treat it but were unable to do so which is why he wound up withdrawing. Still no word on TEB

vCash
    The dates of Weir's 2 GPs conflict with Eastern Sectionals. Having 2 GP assignments supposedly gave him a bye through North Atlantic Regionals only (although Finlandia Trophy's dates also conflicted). Based on past precedent, Weir should be able to retain his bye through Sectionals due to having traveled to/competed at Rostelecom Cup, though just the SP.

ETA that judiz posted this video of Weir talking about his FS withdrawal early yesterday (thread got moved to the Cup of Russia forum in Kiss and Cry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3zAFpGOC8w
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Johnny is no longer filming his show, the second season already aired and focused on Johnny's life outside of skating so he did not need to be a competitive skater to film his show. Why is it impossible to believe he returned to competitive skating because he missed skating for a living?
    ITA. Johnny made the decision to come back to competition for himself and his fans. It's not about television shows and other opportunities beyond skating (there have been plenty of off-ice offers Johnny could have taken advantage of instead of deciding to make a comeback). IMO, both Johnny and Evan have a love for the sport and perhaps they each have found it hard to let go of competitive skating as part of their lives. It is a challenge that most athletes (and dancers as well) have to face.

Johnny made his decision and he's backed it up. He has put in the hard work and he had a credible debut at Finlandia Trophy. It's unfortunate that the road back has not been as smooth as he had hoped. I wish both Johnny and Evan success in their respective comebacks. Whether or not either of them will ultimately be successful in competing at Sochi Olympics, they should both feel a sense of accomplishment in what they have achieved over the course of their careers. I do wish there was a professional competitive tour for veterans like Johnny, Evan, Plushenko, and Lambiel.

vCash

Interview with Johny Weir `I can't do a comeback like Pluschenko'

Sorry. I think he made the decision to come back for the same reason he has made EVERY decision since Vancouver....,publicity.

IMHO Weir believes all the stuff he spouts about being robbed. The fact that it has no reality basis is irrelevant.

I wish that my first reaction to his withdrawal was not "here we go again".

(and as for his TV shows, I could not stand to watch any of them. )

I loved his skating but the act has just gotten old

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast