Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Tonight's episode: Charles cures alcoholism
    Yeah, "Charles" should know....Michael Landon took his coffee with three fingers of Wild Turkey in it! (Per Alison Arngrim's book.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Yeah, "Charles" should know....Michael Landon took his coffee with three fingers of Wild Turkey in it! (Per Alison Arngrim's book.)
    Sounds like a former professor of mine...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    How was Pa paying the hookers? Weren't the Ingalls dirt poor?

I got it-He fake fiddled in the lounge area, and was paid via the barter system for providing the evening's entertainment.

Was this show really so soapy? I think I watched it as kid for a year or two, but I don't remember bath houses, prostitutes, and morphine addicted children.
    the grange were paying (to get HIS vote) and i think as kids we filtered out all the yucky- although i recall thinking long and hard about the sylvia episode.....
    (omg i know WAY too much about this topic.....)

Banned Member
    vCash
    It was pretty funny. Charles felt that the saloon was too noisy after his kids should be asleep that he approached the owner to lower the sound. So ole 'glass ribs' Charles got his butt beaten yet again. Poor Pa always had his ribs broken, at least in Winoka he deserved it.

vCash
    Several years ago I drove from my home in Michigan to see a friend in Des Moines. On the way there I decided to go on a Little House tour. I went to Plum Creek and De Smet. As a lover of the real history behind the books and people in them, I was in my glory visiting the place Laura and her family lived. Walking the banks of Plum Ceek was especially exciting because while the dugout house has collapsed, you can still see the depression left in the ground, wade into the creek, and walk the meadow Laura wrote about so clearly. Seeing the trees planted by Pa in De Smet that formed a wind break around the house was also a thrill. The house is gone, but their well is there and you can see the Big Slough. The feed store in town where the family stayed during the bad winters in still there, although it's not preserved as their home. The family actually had a more permanent home a few blocks away that Pa built when running the farm became too difficult. You can tour the house and see so many personal belongings, especially of Mary's. After Pa died, they had to rent out half the house to boarders to make ends meet. If you are a fan of the stories, visiting these places is like a mecca. Oh yeah, the surveyor's house that the family lived in when they first moved by Silver Lake has been moved into the town of De Smet, and that too can be toured. I never knew about the real Nellie Olsen and LIW's inspiration for her book character until visiting De Smet.

I loved the shows, but the more I learned about the books and researched the history, the more discontent I was about them. I, too, could never figure out why even Mr. Edwards had a nicer house and furniture than the Ingalls. I hated all the horrible events that Micheal Landon invented for the show. Mary's baby dying? Really! Was that necessary?

vCash
    Lucy25,

Have you read The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure? If you haven't yet, you might enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilder-Life-Ad.../dp/1594485682

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Lucy25,

Have you read The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure? If you haven't yet, you might enjoy it.

Yes, I read this last spring. Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    Several years ago I drove from my home in Michigan to see a friend in Des Moines. On the way there I decided to go on a Little House tour. I went to Plum Creek and De Smet.
    I'd love to go see those to spots! Laura's adult home in Missouri is also high on my list. I did get the chance when I was in Minneapolis to take a side trip to Pepin, Wisconsin, the town she visits in Little House in the Big Woods. There is a small museum there and the approximate site of the house where Laura lived is marked seven miles away. Kind of sad to see that the "Big Woods" is now flattened. But the history behind the books has always fascinated me, so I love to go and see where the real life people lived.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Lucy25,

Thanks for the recommendation, I went and bought it and also Don't Trade Your Baby for a Horse: And Other Ways to Make Your Life a Little More Like Laura Ingalls Wilder by the same author. That book also reminded me how many expressions and life lessons I actually take from the books. It's kind of funny, but there are a few that have stuck with me, particularly "Make hay while the sun shines" (which was literal in the book, my I often use figuratively in my life) and Ma's expression "Least said, soonest mended" (with my personal addendum being "unless you need to apologize").

I can't say that I take the same kind of life lessons from the TV series though! I'm not sure what those lessons would be...let's see, don't try to do fake boobs with apples because they'll fall out. Don't walk alone in fields because there might be a mime followng you. Try to adopt as many orphans as possible. When you're upset or in trouble, the most appropriate thing to do is to start crying (preferably with a trembling lip) and then turn and run away as dramatically as possible (coined the "TARA" on Television Without Pity). If you're going to be on a stagecoach that will flip over, make sure you have a pair of glasses that will start a fire to alert people of your presence. I'm sure there are plenty more, they are just slightly less useful in my real life than the book lessons

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I always had a sense wanting to help people, but the show really makes me want to be a better person. That there a is "can do" even if you don't have a lot to help with..
    Another thing, to speak up for what's right even if everyone else sits back in apathy or fear. Or to defend someone who can't for speak up for themselves.
    To never take each other for granted, because there are only so many tomorrows.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    when i was little the show made me think, dont marry anyone who makes you live in a tiny house then keeps brings home extra people to stuff up in the loft
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    Johnny Johnson. What a name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBgood View Post
    Johnny Johnson. What a name.
    He was actually in one of the books.

vCash
    This show spawned the career of Shannon Doherty, nuff said!

One thing from the book that always comes to mind is "draw the broom Laura, don't flip it." I have NO IDEA why this stays with me so vividly, but I think of it whenever I'm sweeping the kitchen floor.

I forget which book it's from (golden years?), but she's at least a young teenager.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Watching "May We Make Them Proud". And what a horrible episode. At least it looks like Alice when she was using Adam JR to break the window might have broken his neck, so Adam JR didn't burn to death. Alice killed him before she went up in flames. And what was the DEAL with Adam and Mary outside the burning building and having NO thought about their child? Hester Sue goes "OMG, the baby!" Then Adam calmly says "Hester Sue, where is Alice and the baby?" You FOOL. Then we hear Melissa Sue wailing "My BABY! My baby!" as if it were the first time she ever thought about Adam Jr. Too much wrong with this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajdwq9YViqc
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 11-12-2012 at 01:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    And what was the DEAL with Adam and Mary outside the burning building and having NO thought about their child? Hester Sue goes "OMG, the baby!" Then Adam calmly says "Hester Sue, where is Alice and the baby?" You FOOL. Then we hear Melissa Sue wailing "My BABY! My baby!" as if it were the first time she ever thought about Adam Jr. Too much wrong with this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajdwq9YViqc
    That scene had so much fail.

vCash
    News Flash : Mary didn't go blind from Scarlett Fever!

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...e_c2&hpt=hp_t3

vCash
    You beat me to it!! It's a really interesting story!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    ^^^ That's not news. Anyone who's done any reading on the real-life Ingalls family knows that.

vCash
    It's news to me! (And apparently CNN as well since it is currently the #2 story below the bunker guy) I have read all the books multiple times but I will definitely look for a better biography.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast