Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Double post
    Last edited by victoriajh; 10-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.

vCash
    I loved the show, watched every week, when we went to Scotland for a family holiday I recall asking my nan if they had the show and getting all excited it was on, three or four seasons behind mind you!
    Laura and Nellie were very well cast, as was Landon, the show least it when they took off on their own story lines, I had always wanted to see the sets ( and after that fire I guess I never will) and have a good run down the hill!!!

vCash
    y'all have inspired me to pick up this show. It sounds like an excellent trainwreck

vCash
    I remember being really traumatized seeing an episode where a gigantic bear attacked Mr. Edwards and tore a big chunk of flesh out of him. It was really graphic. I don't remember this episode ever coming up in the syndicated runs but if it did I changed the channel before that scene. That's what I do when Albert goes Cold Turkey. And good grief, why did they have to kill off Albert in one of those sequel TV-movies? At least it ended before he did actually die.

How about Jenny trying to commit suicide by drowning, complete with a rock? Real wholesome stuff.

A favorite from the "New Beginning" episodes: Willie falls in love, decides to ditch entering college and make his living running Nellie's restaurant, plans a wedding complete with Mr. Edwards as best man, and tells off his mother, concluding "and that's the way it's going to be." After Harriet goes off in a huff, Nels then tells his son how proud he is of him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I take it you aren't familiar with the practice of cauterization.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauterizing
    Oh, I realize the scene was medically/historically accurate, it was just another example of the graphic horrible tribulations that the show's characters went through for our amusement. Not to mention, the scene was a bit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

A favorite from the "New Beginning" episodes: Willie falls in love, decides to ditch entering college and make his living running Nellie's restaurant, plans a wedding complete with Mr. Edwards as best man, and tells off his mother, concluding "and that's the way it's going to be." After Harriet goes off in a huff, Nels then tells his son how proud he is of him!
    LOL! That one was just on last night!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Loved the Laura v Nellie battles. Especially the one where Nellie pretends to be paralyzed and Laura spends the episode thinking of ways to show Nellie is faking it. Also loved it when Nels got to tell off Harriet & Nellie, those spoiled brats.

HATED the family hoedowns with Pa's/Michael Landon's utterly unbelievable fiddle-faking.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Loved the Laura v Nellie battles. Especially the one where Nellie pretends to be paralyzed and Laura spends the episode thinking of ways to show Nellie is faking it.
    I love that episode!

vCash
    So loving this thread, favorite characters were Nellie, Nels and Harriet. HATED goody two shoes Mary who was played by Melissa Sue Anderson who had issues of her own on the set, total opposite of Mary. As for Carrie, the twins who played her should had been given speech therapy but their mom thought it was cute how they spoke.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I love the episode when the Ingalls and Olesons go camping and Mrs. Oleson and her kids get poison ivy. Also the 2-parter where Pa and Joe Kagan go pick up the blind kids from somewhere and Mrs. Oleson tags along thinking Mrs. Tremayne is some society chick, but she's actually African-American. And how she has to hike back and ford rivers wearing her fancy dresses. Too funny.

vCash
    Mrs. Terhune was her name.

Remember the one where Albert conned Harriet into buying a honey log and lied about the safe time to transport it? Sting-a-rama for Harriet and Nellie!

I loved Nellie and Percival together.

If any of you have not read Allison Arngrim's bio Confessions of a Prairie Bitch please do yourself a favor and do so pronto! You will not be sorry!

vCash
    Loved the Laura v Nellie battles. Especially the one where Nellie pretends to be paralyzed and Laura spends the episode thinking of ways to show Nellie is faking it.
    Laura didn't know that Nellie was faking it until the end of the episode. She instead was neglecting her own homework to help Nellie keep up with hers (which meant actually DOING Nellie's work for her) all because she felt guilty over the fact that it had been "her" horse (that she had traded for the Christmas stove for Ma, and still visited and gave apples to) that had caused Nellie's injuries (no thanks to the fact that Nellie had no clue how to treat horses properly!). Showing that Nellie was faking it was the simple part, once she did find out by seeing Nellie waltzing with her new doll through the living room curtains.

Shame that they killed Bunny off later on in Season 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

I loved Nellie and Percival together.
    Alison Arngrim talks about Steve Tracy in the commentary she did for "Come Let Us Reason Together," the episode where Harriet and Percival's parents square off over what religion their unborn child is going to be (not knowing Nellie is carrying twins). Alison and Steve were very, very tight friends, and his death from AIDS in 1986 is the reason she got involved in AIDS activism. She also said that sometimes it is really difficult for her to watch the episodes he was in because even after all this time she still misses him very much.

But YOU know that, because you read her book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Laura didn't know that Nellie was faking it until the end of the episode. She instead was neglecting her own homework to help Nellie keep up with hers (which meant actually DOING Nellie's work for her) all because she felt guilty over the fact that it had been "her" horse (that she had traded for the Christmas stove for Ma, and still visited and gave apples to) that had caused Nellie's injuries (no thanks to the fact that Nellie had no clue how to treat horses properly!). Showing that Nellie was faking it was the simple part, once she did find out by seeing Nellie waltzing with her new doll through the living room curtains.

Shame that they killed Bunny off later on in Season 3.
    You can see it's been a few years since I watched it. I fondly remember Laura pushing Nellie down a hill and into a pond, Nellie standing up, and her mom saying "IT'S A MIRACLE!" and Laura laughing with glee. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    You can see it's been a few years since I watched it. I fondly remember Laura pushing Nellie down a hill and into a pond, Nellie standing up, and her mom saying "IT'S A MIRACLE!" and Laura laughing with glee. . .
    "Your mother wants you! You're such a GOOD friend, Nellie!" And Harriet fainting and falling backwards out of the buggy.... Classic!

vCash
    The episode I cannot stand to watch is May We Make Them Proud. First, Hester Sue discovers the basement is on fire and leaves the door open so the flames can spread up the only staircase. Then instead of Mary taking her baby with her to help round up the kids, she leaves the baby in the room at the top of the stairs. Alice Garvey offers to get the baby for Mary, big mistake because instead of getting the baby, Alice leaves the baby again to get Jonah out of the bathroom (who puts a lock on the bathroom door of a school for the blind?) Then when Alice finally gets around to getting Adam Jr., the only escape route is filled with flames. Instead of breaking the window and jumping out or throwing the baby into Hester Sue's arms, you see Alice screaming behind the closed window as the room is consumed with flames. Outside you have the only other sighted person who did not notice that Jonah never made it outside with the other kids nor was Alice or the baby outside. Hester Sue did not realize it until Jonah stumbled out of the building. Then Hester Sue starts screaming.

Fast forward to Charles Ingalls, he just buried his only grandchild, his daughter had a nervous breakdown after her only child died and Charles biggest concern is for Albert who started the fire. And, Charles has the nerve to ask Jonathan, who just buried his wife Alice, to help him find Albert. Jonathan goes with him instead of staying home and comforting his son who just lost his mother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    The episode I cannot stand to watch is May We Make Them Proud. First, Hester Sue discovers the basement is on fire and leaves the door open so the flames can spread up the only staircase. Then instead of Mary taking her baby with her to help round up the kids, she leaves the baby in the room at the top of the stairs. Alice Garvey offers to get the baby for Mary, big mistake because instead of getting the baby, Alice leaves the baby again to get Jonah out of the bathroom (who puts a lock on the bathroom door of a school for the blind?) Then when Alice finally gets around to getting Adam Jr., the only escape route is filled with flames. Instead of breaking the window and jumping out or throwing the baby into Hester Sue's arms, you see Alice screaming behind the closed window as the room is consumed with flames. Outside you have the only other sighted person who did not notice that Jonah never made it outside with the other kids nor was Alice or the baby outside. Hester Sue did not realize it until Jonah stumbled out of the building. Then Hester Sue starts screaming.

Fast forward to Charles Ingalls, he just buried his only grandchild, his daughter had a nervous breakdown after her only child died and Charles biggest concern is for Albert who started the fire. And, Charles has the nerve to ask Jonathan, who just buried his wife Alice, to help him find Albert. Jonathan goes with him instead of staying home and comforting his son who just lost his mother.
    Word. I never understood why Mary or Adam didn't just grab the baby once they heard about the fire. Mary & Adam Jr. were in the same room, Mary was rocking Adam Jr. to sleep when Adam came into her room to tell her about the fire. How hard would it have been for Mary to GRAB HER BABY as she left the room?

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Word. I never understood why Mary or Adam didn't just grab the baby once they heard about the fire. Mary & Adam Jr. were in the same room, Mary was rocking Adam Jr. to sleep when Adam came into her room to tell her about the fire. How hard would it have been for Mary to GRAB HER BABY as she left the room?
    ITA. It was totally unrealistic that Mary, who was sitting there cradling her baby, just ups and leaves it when the fire was discovered. I suppose it's possible she didn't have a maternal instinct, but Mary really just possessed NO maternal instinct. She and Adam are all safe outside with the rest ofthe blind kids, and maybe ten minutes later they bother to ask "Where's Adam JR?"

I also had a big problem with the kid who locked himself in the bathroom. Seriously, a blind school with a lock on the bathroom door? Defies logic.

Then when Alice went back to get Adam JR, she very carefully wraps him up in his swaddling clothes. You almost thought she'd sing a lullaby to him. I was like "LADY, scoop up the damn kid and RUN!" Seconds matter when the house is on fire.

And that episode reinforced just how warped Charles was wrt his treatment of Albert. Albert was evil personified, he was involved in several deaths in WG, and Pa just turned a blind eye to it all. I guess boys will be boys, eh?
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Besides Adam Jr. and Mrs. Garvey, what other deaths was Albert responsible for? I know the infamous Sylvia died, but I don't recall Adam either directly or indirectly being responsible for that one.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Well Albert told the would-be rapist/killer Irv Hartwig where Sylvia was hiding out. Like DUH, unless you thought Sylvia was impregnated by her father (which at 9 was my belief), but then you learn how LHOP works. Some stranger shows up, bad stuff happens, they are killed off or never seen from again. The laughable thing was for at least another season you could see "Hartwig" on one of the town's buildings. He was the locksmith, right? Well until old cranky Mr. Webb filled his torso with buckshot.

And what in the world was Albert's life story? Did he die on the mountain? Leukemia? It was whispered in Hero Township that Albert was the first person ever to die from HIV related complications, due to his prostitutng in Winoka when he was trying to make ends meet, as in have an apple for dinner. Albert was a curious character. Utterly despisable. When he's not shooting up morphine, beating on a teacher, stealing, involved in the deaths of others, well, he has Pa's stamp of approval.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast