Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    The Doctor's Lady episode: Doctor Baker falls in love wih Harriet's niece, Kate. He has to admit that she is too young for him when he sees Kate playing with Mary and Laura.

What about the "miracle" episodes: Laura up on the mountain with Ernest Borgnine seems to be an hermit but really is an "angel". Adam regaining his site with a knock on the head. When Charles refuses to admit that James will likely never recover from his gunshot wound, he leaves Walnut Grove with his adopted son. He builds an altar in the woods and hopes that God will bring a miracle.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    The Doctor's Lady episode: Doctor Baker falls in love wih Harriet's niece, Kate. He has to admit that she is too young for him when he sees Kate playing with Mary and Laura.
    Erm, she was a few years older than Mary and Laura .. iirc there might've been a 20 year age difference (it's not like she was jailbait!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    So maybe it's just that kids today like the kids we were focus on the stuff that interests them and that they understand, and it's only when we're older that we look back and at some of the stuff we see in shows/movies/etc now.
    Yeah, my best example of this is that Dirty Dancing was my favourite movie when I was 8. I had no idea about the abortion story until I saw the movie as an adult...I was kind of amazed in retrospect my parents let me watch the movie over and over, but since I clearly didn't get it, it obviously didn't matter.

Now, back to LHOTP...the show was cheesy fun, but I'm always a little sad that Michael Landon took such liberties with the books. I know he would have had to do some stretching in order to make things work for TV, but there were a ton of stories in the book that could have made great TV that he left out. And he didn't need to stretch things as far as he did IMO. But since he did, I will agree that the show is hilarious, albeit probably not intentionally. As a child I loved Laura because I love the books, but as an adult re-watching, I agree that the Olesons are the best part of the show. I also love that Allison Arngrim and Melissa Gilbert were such good friends in real life and how much they enjoyed getting to fight with each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post

What about the "miracle" episodes: Laura up on the mountain with Ernest Borgnine seems to be an hermit but really is an "angel".
    Was that the one where Charles, Jr. dies and Laura blames herself? I liked that episode.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Was that the one where Charles, Jr. dies and Laura blames herself? I liked that episode.
    I actually did too. I just found the addition of all the miracles to Landon's stories a little off putting.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    So maybe it's just that kids today like the kids we were focus on the stuff that interests them and that they understand, and it's only when we're older that we look back and at some of the stuff we see in shows/movies/etc now.
    Hey, go back and watch Sesame Street from before it became "The Elmo Show". Lots of parental bonuses and getting crap past the radar. Heck, I was seventeen (yes, I was watching Sesame Street, when you only get two TV channels your options are limited) and realized that a sketch I'd probably seen half a dozen times as a kid was a full-on parody of "High Noon", down to the song riffing on "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling". STRAIGHT over my head when I was little. I know I saw some "adult" movies as a kid that were probably a bit mature in subject matter, but unless it was something scary, it never seemed to register.

vCash
    I lurve classic Seseame Street.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    YAY, I'm home.

That was, "The Lord Is My Shepard." One of my favorites.
    Last edited by AnnieBgood; 10-20-2012 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBgood View Post
    YAY, I'm home.

That was, "The Lord Is My Shepard." One of my favorites.
    No snark, I always get emotional watching that episode.

vCash
    thanks to this thread- i just lots days rewatching episodes on youtube- there are so many!!!

vCash
    For those who get the Hallmark channel, they show two episodes a night and are just starting with the first season again. Last night was the first Christmas episode when Laura trades her pony to buy ma a stove.

vCash
    No snark, I always get emotional watching that episode.

Same. The whole thing was heartwrenching. Especially, Ernest Borgnine. The unlikely Angel "Jonathan" had me in tears.

vCash
    There was a stage show/musical of Little House doing out of town try-outs a few years ago, starring Melissa Gilbert as Ma. I am a child of the 70's, grew up on that show, and LIW's books, and took my then 4 year old to see the show in NJ. It was meh -- had good points and bad points (Ms. Gilberts' then-hubby as Pa was atrocious) -- but Melissa did a good job and, admittedly, moved me to tears when she took a star bow as Ma in the curtain call, gestured to the actress playing Laura and then bowed to her before presenting her to the audience again.

But the best part of that adventure was that my daughter re-invented her Halloween plans and insisted on going as Nellie Olsen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post

But the best part of that adventure was that my daughter re-invented her Halloween plans and insisted on going as Nellie Olsen.
    That's Since Melissa played Ma in the stage version, it would have been fantastic if Alison Arngrim played Harriet. Yeah I know, Arngrim looks nothing like Katherine MacGregor, but still, would have been fun to have Laura & Nellie reunite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Or how about the one where the tree falls on Mr. Edwards, and he tries to commit suicide while on a hunting trip with Charles?
    Mr. Edwards creeped me out a bit.

vCash
    Noooo lol Mr. Edwards was a teddy bear.

vCash
    That's Since Melissa played Ma in the stage version, it would have been fantastic if Alison Arngrim played Harriet. Yeah I know, Arngrim looks nothing like Katherine MacGregor, but still, would have been fun to have Laura & Nellie reunite.
    We don't know what the real Mrs. Oleson looked like, so she could've!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBgood View Post
    Noooo lol Mr. Edwards was a teddy bear.
    LOL. Here's a picture of the real Mr. Ingalls sporting a beard that would give Mr. Edwards a run for his $ http://www.liwfrontiergirl.com/pa.html
    http://www.liwfrontiergirl.com/

The site even includes a picture of the real Rev. Alden, but alas, no pictures of any of the 3 girls who inspired the Nellie Oleson character.

vCash
    She wore a wig as Nellie, so couldn't Alison Arngrim have worn a jet black wig to play Harriet? That would have been a scream! They probably weren't going for that much camp in the show, though.

Better yet, put the black wig on Melissa Sue Anderson, and have her be Harriet!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    he was always willing to take in young boys
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast