Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Would NHK want to invite someone that could steal a medal away from a Japanese skater? I expect Mirai to be invited. If Osmond goes, then Skate Canada had something to do with it.

I hope it's Kaetlyn!!

vCash
    Castelli & Shnapir currently lead in Graz by a ridiculous margin. I think if anyone gets that spot, it'll be S&K.

vCash
    Polina Shelepen withdraws from NHK Trophy due to a foot injury (Russian article dated Nov. 8): http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20121108/629299254.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-09-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: to correct typo
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Osmond has performed better this season and a valid choice. But if she goes to NHK she can jeopardize the medal chances of the Japanese ladies there and the GPF chances of all Japanese ladies (esp. Murakami).

Nagasu is much better known in Japan and isn't as much a threat for the podium at NHK. With a 4th place at her first event she isn't a real GPF threat...

I think the choice is obvious if it is just up to JSF.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Nagasu is a no-brainer for an NHK pick: she hasn't been strong, and the press loves her because she speaks some Japanese.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    How bizarre it is to have Kaetlyn Osmond having more of a chance at beating the Japanese skaters than Mirai Nagasu. I can't quite get my head around it, truthfully.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    How bizarre it is to have Kaetlyn Osmond having more of a chance at beating the Japanese skaters than Mirai Nagasu. I can't quite get my head around it, truthfully.
    Crazy isn't it??

vCash
    It would be wonderful to watch if Osmond were invited to NHK Trophy and beated those Japanese ladies, but I don't think she would be able to have the same kind of performance as she did at SC.
    She didn't have to think about qualifying for GPF at SC but this one would be different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    It would be wonderful to watch if Osmond were invited to NHK Trophy and beated those Japanese ladies, but I don't think she would be able to have the same kind of performance as she did at SC.
    She didn't have to think about qualifying for GPF at SC but this one would be different.
    Normally I would agree, but there are two other factors.

1. She's skating OUTSIDE of Canada so there is less pressure that way. Canadians tend to feel very at home skating in Japan and perform well there. I think there's more pressure skating at home and in your first GP all in one shot.
    2. Kaetlyn is one of those very rare Canadians who embraces competing and the spotlight. Although it's unrealistic to expect her to perform well every time out I'm not convinced she will be one to fall apart under pressure. If she does we'll see it in London...not at NHK.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Normally I would agree, but there are two other factors.

1. She's skating OUTSIDE of Canada so there is less pressure that way. Canadians tend to feel very at home skating in Japan and perform well there.
    It's really better to do a little research before making such generalizations. The only Canadians who have performed consistently well at NHK over the previous 5 years (2007-2011) have been ice dancers. Ladies have done the worst:

LADIES-Phaneuf 6th, 7th, 11th; Szmiett 12th; Hawker 7th

MEN-Reynolds 4th; Sawyer 5th, 9th; J Ten 11th, 12th; Chipeur 11th, 11th

PAIRS-Dube/Davison 3rd; Brodeur/Matatall 5th, 6th; Langlois/Hay 5th; Lawrence/Swiegers 7th; Purich/Schultz 8th; Pisotta/Stewart 8th

DANCE-V/M 2nd; W/P 2nd, 2nd, 7th; C/P 3rd; H-M/C 7th

I think there's more pressure skating at home and in your first GP all in one shot.
    Perhaps, but OTOH, having a friendly, welcoming crowd is very helpful.

vCash
    I didn't say our results were spectacular at all NHK events but thanks for the feedback.

Canadians tend to be stiff in competition but Japan provides friendly confines to feel comfortable performing.
    Rochette and Buttle have had some excellent performances there, but I wasn't metricking results. And, my generalizations extended beyond NHK...even into show skating. Regrets I wasn't clearer.

PS our women 'generally' suck everywhere. Feel free to pull stats to validate or refute.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Excellent news!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm so happy that S/K get the opportunity to skate in an important international competition prior to Nationals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Honestly, I think Kaetlyn's win was a fluke more than anything. Since when has such unknown skater received that kind of PCS at her first GP event? I'm so surprised people are gushing over Osmond as if she's the next big thing in ladies skating. She's still pretty untested and her jump technique isn't exactly the most pure.

Either way, I think Nagasu will finally be getting her second GP.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Honestly, I think Kaetlyn's win was a fluke more than anything. Since when has such unknown skater received that kind of PCS at her first GP event? I'm so surprised people are gushing over Osmond as if she's the next big thing in ladies skating. She's still pretty untested and her jump technique isn't exactly the most pure.

Cynthia Phaneuf anyone?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Regardless of the PCS Osmond received, she can land more than one proper triple in her FS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post

I dunno. She might be unknown on the bigger stages, but she won the Nationals SP last season, and her scores at Nebelhorn (and SC) would have placed her in the top ten at Worlds. I agree, she's still pretty untested and I'm not even convinced she's a bigger threat than Nagasu, but the mere idea is rather headspinning.

I don't think people think she's the next big thing in ladies figure skating. But I think it's pretty clear she's the next big thing in CANADIAN ladies figure skating. Big fish, small pond, etc.

vCash
    It's reported on weibo that SONG Nan is leaving for TEB tomorrow.

http://www.weibo.com/1581996881/z4POpwPSU

Apparently he recovered alright? I hope he is not pushing it too much!
    Last edited by jjane45; 11-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.

vCash
    Well, the JSF should be announcing Polina's replacement at NHK any day now ....

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast