Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    Can S/S replace V/V at NHK, or is it: you withdrew, that's it, no second chance for you?
    This. Plus it messes up the seeding...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    The cynic in me cant help but thinking S/S withdrawal has also to do with avoiding losing momentun by being beaten by overscored V&T in Sochi . *sighs*
    Anything is possible, but Aliona was already running a fever in Windsor, so if the withdrawal is strategic it was planned well in advance. Plus, since the Germans are going to have to face off against the Russians in Sochi in 2014, I would think getting a competition done there prior to the Olympics would be a benefit.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Since it's between 14 and 7 days before NHK, the GP Announcement is mum on replacement policy, but Czisny could be replaced.
    Race for the GPF would be more interesting if Osmond gets to be the replacement skater. I would think they would have to send out an invite to someone ASAP though, if Czisny will be replaced.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    So Alissa's out of NHK...I wonder who will get the invite?

vCash
    The cynic in me cant help but thinking S/S withdrawal has also to do with avoiding losing momentun by being beaten by overscored V&T in Sochi . *sighs*
    And the cynic in me can't help but think Czisny was holding off until the last minute so Nagasu wouldn't get a spot.
    Czisny and Nagasu are pretty much on the same level right now reputation-wise and having a lot to prove, so was it coincidence Czisny finally withdrew almost immediately after it was announced Nagasu got a spot anyway?
    I think I watch too much competitive reality shows...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    And the cynic in me can't help but think Czisny was holding off until the last minute so Nagasu wouldn't get a spot.
    Czisny and Nagasu are pretty much on the same level right now reputation-wise and having a lot to prove, so was it coincidence Czisny finally withdrew almost immediately after it was announced Nagasu got a spot anyway?
    I think I watch too much competitive reality shows...

- Maybe Czisny didn't want to face Nagasu so she pulled out when she learned of the replacement...

- Maybe Czisny conspired with USFS, the Russian fed and the Japanese fed to keep out Osmond so she waited until the deadline to replace had passed...

- Maybe Czisny has something against JSF and didn't want to compete at NHK

- Maybe Czisny isn't really injured, but wanted to keep someone else out

- (insert conspiracy theory here)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Another thing they could do to increase the alternates list is to allow non-split couple host skaters who didn't make last season's Top 75 SB list and who make the GP minimums at this season's host event to be added to the list.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post

- Maybe Czisny didn't want to face Nagasu so she pulled out when she learned of the replacement...

- Maybe Czisny conspired with USFS, the Russian fed and the Japanese fed to keep out Osmond so she waited until the deadline to replace had passed...

- Maybe Czisny has something against JSF and didn't want to compete at NHK

- Maybe Czisny isn't really injured, but wanted to keep someone else out

- (insert conspiracy theory here)
    I acknowledged it was far-fetched, sweetie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I acknowledged it was far-fetched, sweetie.
    I know. I'm just having fun. It's far from the only one I've heard being thrown around...

vCash
    Maybe Alissa withdrew because she got a deal with USFS to go compete for Azerbaijan in the Olympic season?

Not that they'd release her in just a year, anyway, but I'm just trying to add to the conspiracy party!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't care if Mirai falls all over the place so long as she's skating aggressively and rotating everything. Have to start somewhere!

I wish we had more details about Czisny's performance in Scott's show. Did she struggle on her jumps like normal or struggle in a new way, clearly affected by the injury?
    ^^^
    THIS!!

Awesome news for Mirai! That being said-I'm sorry Polina was injured. It's unfortunate but a real chance for Mirai to step it up a notch before Nationals!

vCash
    Cases like that are of course possible but Aljona is really ill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by patinage View Post
    Would Montalbano & Krasnopolsky be in the running, even if they got the minimum score and won? They were withdrawn from their second event, Cup of Russia. They shouldn't get a another shot at a GP spot.

Speaking of pairs teams that are iffy for NHK, I wonder what is the status of Vartmann and Van Cleave.
    M/K are out for a bit...Danielle broker her ankle and is having surgery tomorrow.

Proud Supporter of Israeli Figure Skating!

vCash
    seems like Kaetlyn won't be at NHK

Skate Canada ‏@SkateCanada

@figurskater we inquired about Kaetlyn at NHK but bc the withdraw was within 7 days of the event it was not possible to have her at it
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    But it wasn't within 7 days of the start of NHK, was it?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    No, it wasn't. The GP Announcement says that up to 14 days before an event starts, the spot must be filled, and that "at the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member." It says nothing between <14 and > 7 days, and it doesn't say that the 14 and 7 days are before an entry deadline, like championships, where substitutions have to be finalized at the beginning of the week.

Czisny's withdrawal is dated 14 November on the GP Ladies grid, and the ISU website lists the dates of NHK as 23-25 November. That math doesn't work.

The idea that the spot was owed Osmond or that she'd be the first in line for it is flawed anyway: the Japanese Fed could have chosen any one of the five women in the current alternates group, and there are two skaters who would be more strategic choices.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    No, it wasn't. The GP Announcement says that up to 14 days before an event starts, the spot must be filled, and that "at the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member." It says nothing between <14 and > 7 days, and it doesn't say that the 14 and 7 days are before an entry deadline, like championships, where substitutions have to be finalized at the beginning of the week.

Czisny's withdrawal is dated 14 November on the GP Ladies grid, and the ISU website lists the dates of NHK as 23-25 November. That math doesn't work.
    Perhaps the event is considered to start on the first day of practice rather than on the first day of competition? That actually seems logical to me.

vCash
    The GP Announcement reads:
    7.6 Replacements
    It is mandatory that an Organizing Member replaces any skater/couple who withdraws from the event with an alternate up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders’ meeting for that event. At the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.
    The Team Leaders' meeting is usually held on the first day of official practice (Thursday).

ETA: In any case, most of us fans believe the ISU procedure of selecting GP alternates leaves much to be desired - who knows if it can be improved for next season?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-16-2012 at 03:05 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It's a shame that Osmond doesn't get to go, and even a bigger shame that the spot will go unfilled

Just to seek some clarification: does it mean she likely won't be invited, or it's certain she won't be invited?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If the Team Leader's meeting is the Thursday before the event, then that's 22 November, and the 14th November is eight days prior to it, not seven. Again, the GP announcement doesn't address withdrawals less than 14 days of the team leader's event, which would have been starting the 9 November and more than seven days before Team Leader's meeting, or today, 15 November. The seven-day period before next Thursday starts tomorrow (Friday). Czisny's withdrawal occurred in this undefined period.

I think we all know it can be, but the question is, will they bother?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast