Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 198
  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,108
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    I never thought Battlestar Galactica jumped the shark. Quality show from start to finish.

  2. #162
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    How about The Waltons when John Boy left? I mean, he was the narrator and lead for heaven's sake. And wasn't Mary Ellen quite the trainwreck. She gets pregnant, then decides to marry a doctor, then he dies in the war, then she decides to go to med school, and the baby was forgotten. And god, we're talking about LHOP and all those kids. I don't believe John or Olivia Walton ever knew exactly how many kids they had. I sure didn't.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

  3. #163
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,982
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    39317
    I agree with whoever mentioned Ghost Sex on Grey's Anatomy. The linked article about Cordelia Chase was interesting - someone should write an essay about The Assassination of Izzy Stevens, because that character started great and between Ghost Sex and Gizzy, was rendered so awful that I cheered when she got cancer...and then that she didn't get killed off
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,621
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I think I can honestly say that the only show that did not have a JTS moment was MASH. Quality episodes the entire run.
    I adore M*A*S*H, but it did get awfully preachy in the last season or so. And it was never quite the same after Radar left. Still, I have to agree that it never QUITE made it over that shark. And the series finale was a gem.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  5. #165
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3166
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    How about The Waltons when John Boy left? I mean, he was the narrator and lead for heaven's sake. And wasn't Mary Ellen quite the trainwreck. She gets pregnant, then decides to marry a doctor, then he dies in the war, then she decides to go to med school, and the baby was forgotten. And god, we're talking about LHOP and all those kids. I don't believe John or Olivia Walton ever knew exactly how many kids they had. I sure didn't.
    Just to clarify, Mary Ellen got married first, then got pregnant, and the baby grows into a toddler and is around for a lot of episodes throughout the rest of the series. (I've spent a lot of time at my parents' lately .. they're big fans so I've had to watch the whole series again). And just to put your mind at ease .. 7 kids .

    I definitely prefer the Waltons to LHOP. Less preachy imo and no Michael Landon. Although I agree that it was a very different show after JB left.

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1192
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    For me, it was Ross, Pheobe, and Chandler, Ross being the most talented comedy actor ever! His impressions were just amazing, make me laugh everytime, and never get old.
    This! All my favorite episodes are Ross centric ones. My favorites being the one where he tries to charm Greg Kinnear for that grant, the one where he tried to bribe ugly naked guy for his apartment, the one where he buys a couch for his building without an elevator and the one where Bruce Willis plays his girlfriend's father.

  7. #167
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,368
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    This! All my favorite episodes are Ross centric ones. My favorites being the one where he tries to charm Greg Kinnear for that grant, the one where he tried to bribe ugly naked guy for his apartment, the one where he buys a couch for his building without an elevator and the one where Bruce Willis plays his girlfriend's father.
    Best Ross ep IMO was the one with the leather pants - his hysterics in a date's bathroom still have me at the thought. "Now the lotion and baby powder have formed some sort of paste!!"

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,621
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    I definitely prefer the Waltons to LHOP. Less preachy imo and no Michael Landon. Although I agree that it was a very different show after JB left.
    The Waltons used to drive my grandpa berserk. He grew up in a big family during the Depression, and he would complain that they were getting it all wrong. (The Waltons were fabulously wealthy compared to his family, for one thing!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  9. #169
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3166
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    The Waltons used to drive my grandpa berserk. He grew up in a big family during the Depression, and he would complain that they were getting it all wrong. (The Waltons were fabulously wealthy compared to his family, for one thing!)
    That's tv for you!

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Monica and Phoebe were ruined in the latter years of Friends imo. Monica's worst traits (the competitiveness and shrillness) were exaggerated to a ridiculous degree. She was no longer a character, but a collection of quirks. Phoebe just got really mean imo. Her treatment of Chandler went beyond just busting his chops. Rachel wasn't always nice to Chandler, but it never felt malicious like with the later years Phoebe.

    Joey was almost headed in that territory too. There were times when his dimness were getting to be a bit much, but I think the writers ended up reigning that in.

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Young and the Restless - I never forgave the writers for making Billy & Mac related so I stopped watching. Then in a few years, they weren't related? What?! Stop playing with my mind!

    Friends - agreed, they never had a JTS moment, really. Love every episode. PIVOT is legendary, but my favorite friend, by far, is Chandler. Everything he says kills me.

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,460
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43165
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I adore M*A*S*H, but it did get awfully preachy in the last season or so. And it was never quite the same after Radar left. Still, I have to agree that it never QUITE made it over that shark. And the series finale was a gem.
    I have never rewatched the MASH finale because I'm afraid it will diminish my memory of just how amazing it was.

    And in my perspective, Friends jumped the shark 1) when Phoebe stopped singing at the coffeehouse and 2) Rachel got promoted from an assistant to an executive overnight.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

  13. #173
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,898
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4653
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Best Ross ep IMO was the one with the leather pants - his hysterics in a date's bathroom still have me at the thought. "Now the lotion and baby powder have formed some sort of paste!!"
    OMG, just thinking about that episode cracks me up, LOL

    I agree that Friends had a few possible JTS moments but I don't think it ever went completely over it. I loved that show pretty much from start to finish and still watch the reruns when I'm home.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  14. #174

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Best Ross ep IMO was the one with the leather pants - his hysterics in a date's bathroom still have me at the thought. "Now the lotion and baby powder have formed some sort of paste!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    OMG, just thinking about that episode cracks me up, LOL
    I still when I read a book in which a character is wearing leather pants and this is supposed to be all sexy and masculine. All I can think of is Ross' battle with his pants in the bathroom.

    I do think that the quality of that show declined sharply in the final few seasons; the cast was still good, but the material they were given wasn't as strong. I'm not sure there's a single JTS moment, though.

  15. #175
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,368
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by stanhope View Post
    Young and the Restless - I never forgave the writers for making Billy & Mac related so I stopped watching. Then in a few years, they weren't related? What?! Stop playing with my mind!
    There was also the Aussie guy - they kept switching up who he really is, not sure where they landed but I'm sure they're not done with him either. But the final straw for me was when they made Jill Katherine's daughter, and then a couple of years later undid that storyline too. They are two of the original characters with the longest storylines, and they basically rewrote history to make that work, then rewrote it again when a new set of writers came in.

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Does anyone remember The Nanny?

    I think their JTS moment was pretty clear - Fran & Mr. Sheffield hooking up in the second-to-last season (I think that was the time frame)

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South of New York City
    Posts
    2,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Does anyone remember The Nanny?

    I think their JTS moment was pretty clear - Fran & Mr. Sheffield hooking up in the second-to-last season (I think that was the time frame)
    To me, it was when "he took back the thing."

  18. #178

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,532
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Totally agree and would add the original Law & Order to that list. I loved the whole series and thought it was should not have been cancelled.
    Amen, to that; and to the comments about MASH.

  19. #179
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,172
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Totally agree and would add the original Law & Order to that list. I loved the whole series and thought it was should not have been cancelled.

    to quote 30 Rock "but it was a tent pole. A TENT POLE."
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  20. #180
    Accept no substitutes
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    'Straya
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,469
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6730
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Bones - When she got pregnant.
    I actually stopped watching about a season and a half before that, by which time they had changed Brennan's character so much, by exaggerating some of her traits, that she became either a Vulcan, or borderline autistic, in a way which would mean she shouldn't actually be able to function in normal society, let along write best selling novels. It strained my credulity beyond reasonable belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Blue Heelers (lol no-one will know/remember/care about this one) - When the police station got blown up.
    LOL. I never watched this on its first run, but have got really into it on repeats, even though some of the plots are ridiculous. I missed a few episodes a couple of weeks back and never did find out how the police officer who was crippled with a bullet in his back miraculously recovered. One day he was in a wheelchair, and then a few episodes later he was not only walking but snogging his sergeant. Then he inexplicably decided to let someone die and went to prison for manslaughter. And now you tell me I have the police station blowing up to look forward to (reminds me of The Bill - Sun Hill Police Station was blown up about three times over the course of the series, if I remember correctly).
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ROFL...to me "Little House" jumped the shark the minute they green-lighted something that bore absolutely no resemblance to the books beyond the name.
    ^This! I loved the 'Little House' books and thought the TV series was a huge lost opportunity. I always thought the opening should say "Based on names in the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder".
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere how Michael Landon defended the show's storylines and the liberties they took by saying that, had they followed the books exactly, the show would not have lasted anywhere nearly as long as it did.
    Maybe not, but I would love to have seen a show based more faithfully on the books, or even Laura's real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I loved House until it turned into a show with a soap opera feel after Amber died. Blah.
    I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned 'House'! For me, its Jump the Shark moment was when House and Cuddy got together. I would have said it was when the original team left, but there were still some pretty good eps after that, in particular the one where Amber died.

    Anyway, I'll throw another Aussie show into the mix - A Country Practice. Never the same after Molly died.

    I also mentioned The Bill above. That would also be when they turned it into a soap opera. It stopped being about police work, and everyone started having love triangles. I gave up well before the end.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •