vCash

Canadian Champion in the Making OMNI TV Tonight!

http://www.facebook.com/skatecanada

Note the tweet about a documentary on Andrei Rogazine tonight at 9pm!

Sorry for the last minute notice.

ETA: Nope, it's 9pm here in Vancouver too.
    Last edited by manhn; 05-09-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Thank you for this! I would have missed it. And yes, according to the on screen grid, and TV Guide it is on a 9 in Van

vCash
    Well, that was depressing. Why would anyone want to put their kid in figure skating?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I told Japanfan about it as we happened to be speaking on the phone this evening. She said she was going to watch it. I haven't watched it yet, just recorded it. I'll watch it later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Well, that was depressing. Why would anyone want to put their kid in figure skating?
    I didn't see it, unfortunately. What was depressing?

vCash
    Darn, I missed it. I even saw it on the tv guide but had no idea it had anything to do with figure skating.

vCash
    In short, his Russian parents came to Canada. He leaves the family when Andrei was young (on the wife's birthday!). She has to raise Andrei by herself (although his dad does help--kind of). They are in huge debt trying to pay for his skating. He's your typical teenager--ungrateful and moody. He skips school, mouths off at his coaches, misses practices, and skates through the music. He doesn't seem to enjoy skating. The mother seems depressed. It ends with a bad performance from some monitoring competition in Alberta. They do mention as a postcript some junior grand prix competition he won, but this was before his big Jr Worlds victory.

All in all, just sad.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Great synopsis. And yes, sad. But hopeful that his big Jr worlds win will turn things around for them, even if he didn't do so well at (senior) Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    In short, his Russian parents came to Canada. He leaves the family when Andrei was young (on the wife's birthday!). She has to raise Andrei by herself (although his dad does help--kind of). They are in huge debt trying to pay for his skating. He's your typical teenager--ungrateful and moody. He skips school, mouths off at his coaches, misses practices, and skates through the music. He doesn't seem to enjoy skating. The mother seems depressed. It ends with a bad performance from some monitoring competition in Alberta. They do mention as a postcript some junior grand prix competition he won, but this was before his big Jr Worlds victory.

All in all, just sad.
    I'll add a couple of random points to this as well:

- His mother (Olga) made a few comments about winning being the most important thing. She suggested it was the only way they could earn financial support and enable Andrei to keep skating.
    - I think the comp they showed in Alberta was probably Wild Rose. They made a big deal out of the fact he didn't land (or event attempt?) either of his 3 axels there. At the very end of the show, they made a big deal of him landing his 3A at a different competition (Nationals?).
    - Petra Burka, Mike Slipchuk, Louis Stong, Holly Henderson, and someone whose name is escaping me, were interviewed throughout.

They definitely focused on a lot of the negative aspects of skating. It was quite the downer. I haven't been following singles closely the past few years, so hadn't heard of Rogozine before this aired. When I looked him up on the net and discovered he'd won Jr Worlds, I kept hoping they'd mention that in the broadcast to give it at least ONE positive aspect. This must have been in the can before JW, I guess.

vCash
    Was this a publicity stunt on their part or something? I can't think of any other reason why they would want negative stuff aired about Andrei/their family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Was this a publicity stunt on their part or something? I can't think of any other reason why they would want negative stuff aired about Andrei/their family.
    I think it was part of a series on 'the making of a champion' and my guess is that the Rogozines participated because they got paid.

I too found it sad. Although I appreciated the sincerity of Andrei and his parents in interviews, their situation just came across as sad. Especially his mom working so hard and going into debt, struggling as a single mom. I could easily see her laying a "what I do for you" guilt trip on Andrei - though I don't mean that as a criticism, she seemed like a kind woman and sure didn't get a whole lot of support from Andrei's dad. And I can understand why she did what she did, having immigrated to a country thought to be a land of opportunity and having a very talented son.

The dad came across as a bit harsh to me and I didn't like the military-minded coach either.

And I found it hard to like Andrei, as well. He came across as a really difficult kid with an attitude problem, though it is not surprising. His skipping school was a sign of problems - 54% in English is not good. He's most likely insecure and has too much invested in winning/becoming an Olympian without the proper support system in place.

Ultimately the documentary led me to feel sorry for the family and sorry for Andrei. It was more accurately a profile of a champion not in the making and of a family that would have been better off if they hadn't chosen to continue to keep their child in the sport.

Unfortunately Andrei is probably not going to make the 2014 team - if Patrick Chan stays in that is one spot taken and there is plenty of competition for the second and (maybe third) spot: Nam, Gosselin, and Balde, to name just a few.

Although some do beat the odds, so I wish him the best.

vCash
    Does anyone know where I can find this documentary?