Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks, Brian. Good luck to your bf and congratulations on your wedding!

Today is one week since I have been dieting. Last Monday I weighed 174 lbs. Today I weigh 169 lbs. Target weight is 152 by Christmas.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I decided to try and get serious about losing some weight in August. I wasn't overweight by the strict definition of the word, and was in a normal BMI (yes, I know that's not the most important indicator of health), but 2011 was the least active I had ever been in my life, and some extra weight had snuck up on me. Clothes fit tighter, and things were just "squishier." I was active my entire life (skated from age 6 to 28), and have naturally "skinny" genes, so I never really needed to watch what I ate, but as we all know, that tends to change as you get older. Earlier this year, I decided to start getting in shape again by incorporation running back into my life, and that went fine (found I could still run +10k even though I wasn't feeling my fittest), but I finally saw real, *measurable* results when I did the following:

• Bought a scale and weigh myself EVERY morning.
    • Started using the http://www.mynetdiary.com/ iPhone app religiously.
    • Committed to doing at least 30 minutes of activity per day, even if it is just going for a walk.

Today, I'm 14 pounds lighter than I was on August 9, and would like to lose another 5 or 6 pounds. There have been plateaus, but overall my weight loss has shown a yo-yo-on-an-escalator pattern: there are small peaks and valleys, but overall, my weight has gone down, even when blips like Thanksgiving get in the way! The thing I like most about the system I've chosen is that I'm not cutting anything out of my diet. I have some friends who follow Paleo very strictly, and that type of diet just isn't for me. I don't want to have to manage the ingredients I put into my body that closely, but I am willing to manage the amounts of certain things I eat, and pay closer attention to calories and fat content. I still eat bread and dairy, I still drink beer (mostly light beers), and I still have dessert. But I plan my meals better, snack on fruits and veggies when I can, and limit processed foods.

Obviously, everyone is different, but tools like My Net Diary are what really keep me motivated. I was able to improve, and enjoy, running when I finally started using the Nike+ system. I like to be able to see results, and compare them. For me, that makes it easier to keep up with a program even when I might not be feeling so motivated to do so. It's so satisfying to be able to plug a lower weight into the My Net Diary app each morning, and that helps me stay on track.

vCash
    An update: I started my diet/exercise regimen on October 8, when I weighed 174 lbs.

My goal is my optimal weight: 152 lbs. by Christmas.

Today I weigh 163 lbs. I'll continue to keep everyone updated in another week or so, as this is what keeps me with the program!

Thanks everyone, for all your support and stories. Definitely motivating for me. Good luck to all who are in the midst of dieting!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Oh wow, half way there already. Congrats! Just curious, how old are you? haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    Oh wow, half way there already. Congrats! Just curious, how old are you? haha
    I don't know, somewhere between puberty and death. I'll decide how old I am once I've reached my target weight.

vCash
    Just a quick update: started October 8 at 174 lbs. On November 8, I weigh 162. 10 more lbs. to go by Christmas!

Hope y'all are doing well with your weight/fitness goals!

vCash
    Keep up the good work, skateboy! We're all here to support you (that goes for everyone else, too )

vCash
    Good luck to all sharing the stories and results here! You inspire me!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Since moving to to the San Francisco Bay Area three years ago, my weight climbed to 174 lbs. UN--acCEPTable!!
    Oh goody, more Bay Area FSUers!

Pros to SF Bay Area: outdoorsy culture, beautiful natural surroundings just begging you to go out and hike / bike, also an automatic urban workout walking those hilly SF streets
    Cons: so much and good food

vCash
    Good for you skateboy! You can do it. Just do it smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    My lifting weights like crazy isn't because I want to put some mass on my underweight frame. It's so I put some bone mass on, which you can't do when you find out you're on the verge of osteoporosis, which both my grandma and my mom had fairly early on, before they turned 60. By that time it's too late! I have to start early!
    That's why I obsessively power walk 3 miles a day and lift weights.

That I suddenly have a butt now is a bonus.
    I started a little too late for the butt benefit! Mine was, is, and always will be flat as a pancake!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Keep up the good work, skateboy! We're all here to support you (that goes for everyone else, too )
    Thank you and to everyone else, too!

These reports keep me sticking to my diet. I did go up a little last week, but got super-serious after that. Today I am at 161 lbs. (Started at 174.) Nine more pounds to go by Christmas!

Keep going, everyone. YES WE CAN!!

vCash
    Thank you and to everyone else, too!

These reports keep me sticking to my diet. I did go up a little last week, but got super-serious after that. Today I am at 161 lbs. (Started at 174.) Nine more pounds to go by Christmas!

Keep going, everyone. YES WE CAN!!

vCash
    Just a quick update: started October 8 at 174 lbs. On November 8, I weigh 162. 10 more lbs. to go by Christmas!
    Cool!

Hope y'all are doing well with your weight/fitness goals!
    Well, I blasted way over my goal for cycling - I stand at 1515.5 miles since March 10; my original goal, based on last year's result was 1,100 miles. Going to try to buck the cold temperatures as long as the ground stays clear of ice/snow 'cause there's a side of me that just doesn't want to give in and start hooking the bike up to the indoor trainer, and that side is also saying "we want 1600 miles before quitting time!" It's supposed to be sunny and in the 40's this weekend, so I think I will give it a go.

I also started walking again on my lunch hours. I used to do a lot of walking before getting caught up in my cycling craze. I figure, walking plus riding the indoor trainer over the winter will prevent me from getting enough out of shape that I will be spending the first months of riding season next year on 14-mile rides rather than just the first few weeks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Well, I blasted way over my goal for cycling - I stand at 1515.5 miles since March 10; my original goal, based on last year's result was 1,100 miles. Going to try to buck the cold temperatures as long as the ground stays clear of ice/snow 'cause there's a side of me that just doesn't want to give in and start hooking the bike up to the indoor trainer, and that side is also saying "we want 1600 miles before quitting time!" It's supposed to be sunny and in the 40's this weekend, so I think I will give it a go.

I also started walking again on my lunch hours. I used to do a lot of walking before getting caught up in my cycling craze. I figure, walking plus riding the indoor trainer over the winter will prevent me from getting enough out of shape that I will be spending the first months of riding season next year on 14-mile rides rather than just the first few weeks!
    You go, girl!

vCash
    My latest weight loss update: today I have finally broken the 160 lb. barrier, I am at 159 (started at 174). So far I've lost 15 lbs., with the goal of 152 (22 lbs. total) by Christmas.

I'm going to try REALLY hard not to "cheat" too much during Thanksgiving dinner!

vCash
    My latest weight loss update: today I have finally broken the 160 lb. barrier, I am at 159 (started at 174). So far I've lost 15 lbs., with the goal of 152 (22 lbs. total) by Christmas.

I'm going to try REALLY hard not to "cheat" too much during Thanksgiving dinner!
    Good for you! congratulations!

vCash
    Another update: today I am at 157 lbs. Gonna try my hardest to make my Christmas goal weight of 152. But I'm pleased to have lost 17 lbs. so far.

Thanks everyone, for all your inspiring and encouraging comments!

vCash
    Another update: today I am at 157 lbs. Gonna try my hardest to make my Christmas goal weight of 152. But I'm pleased to have lost 17 lbs. so far.

Thanks everyone, for all your inspiring and encouraging comments!
    Good for you! Just be careful about losing weight quickly. When we do that, we often go "off our diet" and gain it back quickly. So, hopefully you are losing in a way that you can develop into eating skills for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Good for you! Just be careful about losing weight quickly. When we do that, we often go "off our diet" and gain it back quickly. So, hopefully you are losing in a way that you can develop into eating skills for life.
    Agreed, cruisin. At the beginning of the diet, weight fell off fairly quickly (the usual thing that happens) and then it's been a slower process. So I'm hoping to keep control of my weight from now on, to avoid gaining it back. Exercise definitely helps.

Another update: today is December 17, one week to go on the diet. I'm now at 156 lbs., 4 lbs. short of my target weight. Not sure if I can take off 4 more lbs. in one week, but I'll stick to the plan and try to get as close as possible! 18 lbs. lost so far.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My fitness-oriented (I won't say "obsessed" exactly, but getting up for the 5:30am "boot camp" class at his gym multiple times a week is certainly not sane!) coworker swears that if you build muscle, you will burn more calories when you are otherwise not exercising. Muscle requires more calories to maintain. When you do strictly cardio, you only burn calories when you're doing the cardio.

It's true that muscle weighs more than fat, and you might see some weight gain at the beginning, but the muscles will continue to work for you in the long-term. Also, muscle doesn't squish like fat does, so you'll look better even at the same weight (or more!).

In particular, due to the prevalence of osteoporosis, I'd really love to see more ladies at the gym pumping iron! There isn't enough!

Speaking of which, today I deadlifted my bodyweight+10lbs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast