Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what changed when you moved from NYC to SF?
    I think the change was that I now have a car (I didn't in NYC), so I drive more than I walk.

Thanks for the great support, everyone. Today was five days of sticking to my diet. So far, so good.

When I have the urge to indulge, I keep reminding myself, "it's only food." And then I refrain.

Good luck to all who are dieting--we can do it!! And congratulations to those who have already been successful.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Whee, great job!

I actually lost weight when I was getting my master's in San Francisco - but then again I didn't drive and walked/took the Muni everywhere, so I think all the hills in The City must be good for melting flab

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My sister has never owned a car when she lived in San Francisco, and yes, the hills are great for exercising your quads!

vCash
    Great thread, skateboy, I hope you and everyone else reaches their fitness goals. I weigh 168 right now, and I'd like to get back to the 150s myself. I've been hard at the gym and putting on more muscle, but eating well is very difficult for me. Sometimes I tell myself that all the extra weight is muscle, but my waistline says otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Great thread, skateboy, I hope you and everyone else reaches their fitness goals. I weigh 168 right now, and I'd like to get back to the 150s myself. I've been hard at the gym and putting on more muscle, but eating well is very difficult for me. Sometimes I tell myself that all the extra weight is muscle, but my waistline says otherwise
    Whether you bulk from muscle depends on your body type. I have trouble putting ANY weight on, but I can lift more than twice what I could last month! (Bodyweight deadlifts now! ) My body definitely has redistributed itself a tiny bit, but I still have not gained a single pound.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Whether you bulk from muscle depends on your body type. I have trouble putting ANY weight on, but I can lift more than twice what I could last month! (Bodyweight deadlifts now! ) My body definitely has redistributed itself a tiny bit, but I still have not gained a single pound.
    Oh yeah, when I'm trying to lose weight it's always so encouraging to hear from people who struggle to put weight on. Nice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Oh yeah, when I'm trying to lose weight it's always so encouraging to hear from people who struggle to put weight on. Nice!
    Everyone has their own struggles, no need for derision here. I watched my grandmother suffer bedridden for a year after breaking her hip. Another underweight friend of mine (in her 30s) just broke her knee into 4 pieces and will not be able to walk for 2 months. The lives of us skinnies isn't all sunshine and roses...

ETA: But reading my reply again, I can see how it isn't helpful to the attitude here. I'll leave this thread if I'm unable to add anything useful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post

I need to watch my weight to but am procrastinating till New Year's day
    Why are you waiting until New Year's? If you need to do something about it, the time to start is NOW, not 2.5 months from today. This is why so many people fail to better themselves in terms of health and fitness, because they lack the mental toughness and discipline to tackle it head-on. The mental & spiritual strength always comes before the physical, because otherwise you won't get anywhere. It's the making the decision to better yourself & then planning how its going to happen that is the most important part. Executing it is the easy part, once you have the plan, & you've set your mind that this is definitely where you want to put your focus.

Like me, going out for a 25-mile bike ride this morning in spite of the fact that my area had temperatures in the 30's and a Freeze Warning the night before. I was undeterred because I have a goal set, & a cycling routine set down that I don't waver from unless the weather is inclement (meaning precipitation or high winds - I have the trainer to offset that). That's why I've put over 1300 miles on my bike this year. My original goal was 1100, & I've had to keep raising the number; I may actually hit between 1500 & 1600 before the first snow flies (which automatically ends my riding season). Because I am committed to this from the mental and spiritual angles, I've been reaping the physical benefits.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    This is why so many people fail to better themselves in terms of health and fitness, because they lack the mental toughness and discipline to tackle it head-on.
    Or maybe they have other things going on that you don't know about, and that you just managed to insult with this baseless condemnation.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I've lost 45 pounds over a long period of time.

I weigh myself every morning, and I got into a habit of writing down my weight on an envelope at the first of the month. It's a great record to keep, and an incentive not to eat badly.

For a while, every day I didn't eat a fattening dessert, I put a dollar in the weight evelope. I figured those desserts (cakes and ice cream) cost at least a dollar, so a day without one was a dollar saved. I used the money to pay for a small vacation, and then for a while I gave the money to Oxfam, figuring a starving child needed the money more than I needed the ice cream.

As you can see, I'm a big believer in incentives and rewards.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Or maybe they have other things going on that you don't know about, and that you just managed to insult with this baseless condemnation.
    Exactly the way to motivate people!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Why are you waiting until New Year's? If you need to do something about it, the time to start is NOW, not 2.5 months from today. This is why so many people fail to better themselves in terms of health and fitness, because they lack the mental toughness and discipline to tackle it head-on. The mental & spiritual strength always comes before the physical, because otherwise you won't get anywhere. It's the making the decision to better yourself & then planning how its going to happen that is the most important part. Executing it is the easy part, once you have the plan, & you've set your mind that this is definitely where you want to put your focus.
    You have strong determination which is rather lacking for me. But I had had some hardcore training regime in summer that I was able to lose 10 lbs and now I'm just easing myself for normal life I know it's much much better to live with regularly set work-outs but for now I'd just rather do some harsh training in winter and summer breaks Not that I'm letting myself go, at the moment! IDK, maybe after this winter when my body is hopefully in great shape, then I'll start your way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post

I weigh myself every morning, and I got into a habit of writing down my weight on an envelope at the first of the month. It's a great record to keep, and an incentive not to eat badly.

For a while, every day I didn't eat a fattening dessert, I put a dollar in the weight evelope. I figured those desserts (cakes and ice cream) cost at least a dollar, so a day without one was a dollar saved. I used the money to pay for a small vacation, and then for a while I gave the money to Oxfam, figuring a starving child needed the money more than I needed the ice cream.

That's a great method! I totally should try that, thanks!

vCash
    I need to get back on track with weight loss. Cold weather makes me carb-happy. I'm down about 20 lbs from last summer (an all time high ) and I'm hoping to lose another 20 by March, when my family is going on a cruise.

Let's do this!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I need to get back on track with weight loss. Cold weather makes me carb-happy. I'm down about 20 lbs from last summer (an all time high ) and I'm hoping to lose another 20 by March, when my family is going on a cruise.

Let's do this!!
    I've got your back, vesperholly!

Thanks to all for your great support, stories and advice.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I am aiming to lose 1 pound per week, so nothing drastic, but just trying to change little things that will add up.

I love www.myfitnesspal.com You track everything you eat and it gives you totals per day of calories, carbs, sugars, fibre, etc. I find it really makes a difference as to what I eat when I see it on paper/screen. Many people say that the key to losing weight is to log what you eat, and now I totally agree (was skeptical at first). It makes me think twice about eating certain things. I also weigh myself daily and those little drops of .2, .5 or .8 are very encouraging and show me it is working.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Good luck and best wishes to everyone! I know y'all can do it!!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post

For a while, every day I didn't eat a fattening dessert, I put a dollar in the weight envelope. I figured those desserts (cakes and ice cream) cost at least a dollar, so a day without one was a dollar saved. I used the money to pay for a small vacation, and then for a while I gave the money to Oxfam, figuring a starving child needed the money more than I needed the ice cream.

That's a great idea.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    I am aiming to lose 1 pound per week, so nothing drastic, but just trying to change little things that will add up.

I love www.myfitnesspal.com You track everything you eat and it gives you totals per day of calories, carbs, sugars, fibre, etc. I find it really makes a difference as to what I eat when I see it on paper/screen. Many people say that the key to losing weight is to log what you eat, and now I totally agree (was skeptical at first). It makes me think twice about eating certain things. I also weigh myself daily and those little drops of .2, .5 or .8 are very encouraging and show me it is working.
    I want to add a for myfitnesspal. I only had a little weight to lose but I just couldn't do it and it was frustrating me. It took two months on mfp to lose six pounds -- which on me make a big difference, but I'm over 50 and it's harder to lose at this age --but it really did work. Being able to track everything on your IPhone and photo barcodes from what you're eating makes it impossible to cheat!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am proud of you and following your updates on FB! My bf is currently dieting hard in preparation for our wedding. He has lost about 9 lbs and is keeping at it. Good luck!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast