vCash

Is It Ever Appropriate Not to Give 2 Weeks Notice

Hi Guys!
    I have a a situation, and I am really unclear as to how to proceed.

As many of you know, I've been looking for a full-time job for a couple of years. It's been a test in patience, but finally, a ray of hope. I am shortening the story in the interest of time, but I received an interview request and a job offer on the same day for two different positions at two different organizations (coincidentally both were on my birthday). The request for interview came that morning, the job offer that afternoon. With the job market being what it is, I accepted the job offer, even though I knew that the interview would be for a better paying position (an increase in pay of about 40%). I've been thru enough interviews/job screenings to know that the better job wasn't a guarantee.

Miracle of miracles, I was offered the better paying position about 1 1/2 weeks after the start of the first job. Of course, I'm training. I treated the original position as if the other potential job didn't exist because I couldn't bank on that. The new job won't start until Nov 5, which is still a few weeks from now, and I still have to do my drug screen, which I don't anticipate will come back undesirable.

Is it still appropriate to give two weeks notice in this instance? I am not trained; I basically come to work just to answer the phone and observe everyone else who has system access. Should I just continue to come to work until I get the results of the drug screen back? I've already received the formal offer letter, but I feel so guilty about all of this because everyone has been nice and happy to have me there. But, they are not going to be able to come close to the salary that this new job is offering. The hiring manager stressed that the salary that I got is a real reach.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I've never been a position like this before. I went from having a job I hated to having a new job and now an even better job. I want to be fair to the people here before I leave, but I don't know how to go about that. So, I say all of this to say, how do I appropriately give notice and when should I do it? Or, do I just walk in one day and say that I'm not returning. In this instance, does it even matter? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    http://evilhrlady.org/ Go to this site and ask her. She really knows her stuff.

Good luck!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Your first priority is to pay your bills. I would not give notice on the current job until you have a definite start date on the second job. However, I would explain to the new job that I need to give notice on the current job. Since you are in training mode the current job will probably prefer that you leave right away so they don't waste any more time and money on you, and of course they won't be thrilled with your news so be diplomatic.

I am always wary of employers who don't want you to give appropriate notice to your current job before you leave. That indicates a lack of respect and consideration for other people that could come back to haunt you later.

It is always best to avoid burning bridges wherever possible. You never know when you will run into people again or whom they know.

vCash
    Good advice from aliceanne. Agree that any decent and professional potential employer would want you to give the customary (proper) 2-weeks notice to your current employer.

Just one more question: The 40% increase in salary of your current job is certainly nothing to sneeze at, but you should also think about the atmosphere and culture of the new job to be sure it's somewhere you can be happy or at least reasonably content. It seems like your current job has a nice atmosphere (they are happy to have you). I don't know the details of your current job and the higher-paying job, but sometimes less desirable work and/or work circumstances accompany higher salaries. Just food for thought.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I've never been a position like this before. I went from having a job I hated to having a new job and now an even better job. I want to be fair to the people here before I leave, but I don't know how to go about that. So, I say all of this to say, how do I appropriately give notice and when should I do it? Or, do I just walk in one day and say that I'm not returning. In this instance, does it even matter? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Definitely give notice no later than the 22nd and work all the way through to Nov 2nd if they ask you to. Just tell them that you felt it wasn't a good fit. Resist the urge to say anything more.

Since you're still likely on probation and don't have any accumulated benefits to settle, the exit should be smooth.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    In this situation, I would say tell them ASAP and leave ASAP. Interviewing and training is expensive for the company. It's an investment that takes a long time to mature in most cases.

Tell them you have another job and let them let you go so they can find the person that's as excited about the position you're leaving as the one you're starting.

We had a situation like that recently--we hired a girl, and she knew right away it wasn't going to work, and she had the option to go to grad school. She decided to go to grad school (internally) meanwhile, we're all busting our asses, putting all of our work on hold during our busiest season (catalogue drop) to train a girl who knows she won't be there. A month and a half later, we're STILL catching up and we're worse off now than if we hadn't hired anyone at all! She said, she just didn't want to disappoint us! But like our department head said, she would have understood if after a week she'd gone up to us and said, honestly, this isn't working out and I have another option, she'd understand. But we wasted a month and right when she was ready to write copy on her own and could be a help...she quits!

Training/probation is one of the most taxing, consuming things a company does. Don't draw it out.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I agree about telling them as soon as possible, but I would ask them when is the most convenient for you to leave. Sometimes, just someone answering the phone etc. is a body there while they interview for your replacement. If they want you to leave ASAP, do so.

I would also be wary of any organisation that did not allow you to give 2 weeks notice, but I would ask your current company what they prefer before going back and saying to the new place that you want to be respectful and give two weeks, because I don't think your current company will want you to work the two weeks anyway.

vCash
    Thanks for all of the good advice. It is greatly appreciated; I've never been in this position before and while I am happy to get another offer, I just felt really bad about leaving this job. These people are genuinely nice and I wanted to be as fair as I could be to them.

The other thing that I wanted to clarify is that the new job made the offer on 10/4/12, which is one month before the start date of 11/5/12. But I don't want to give notice until my drug screen comes back. I had been told that the rest of my background screen was complete. I had a bad experience years ago about one of my degrees not verifying with the correct graduation date and had a job offer rescinded, so I refuse to give notice until I know for certain that everything on their end is complete.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I wouldn't think twice about it in your situation. My workplace just a second round of layoffs in the 11 months I have been there, and not one person knew they were on the chopping block, and were given no notice. Oh, yeah ten years on the job? We'll fed ex the junk in your desk to you.

About ten years ago, I took a job, and one week into it I got the job offer I really wanted, but I felt this stupid loyalty to the company who hired me first, which was a huge mistake. Had I gone with the one I really wanted, I would be in that business today and in a much better position fiancially.

If the job you're currently in decides to let you go, do you think they will give you two weeks notice? My guess is no. Once you get a firm offer, let the people you work for now know that you were offered a position you couldn't turn down.
    Last edited by leesaleesa; 10-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    Agree. Take care of yourself. Be professional and apologize and explain that these positions were interviewed at the same time. I agree wait until you are certain about the other job. But honestly you don't owe this new job anything. There are so many people looking for work, I find it hard to believe they won't find someone to replace you. Depending on the job you don't even have to legally give two weeks ever and especially since you haven't even worked for three months yet. Most positions consider you on probation for a while and can let you go at any time. The same courtesy should be extended to you.

vCash
    Don't explain anything having a new job, the best course is just tell them you don't feel your present position is a good fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    Don't explain anything having a new job, the best course is just tell them you don't feel your present position is a good fit.
    Agree 100%. No one wants to hear that they've been ditched for a better offer and it's a sure bet that you will be flagged as "not eligible for rehire."
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I disagree. It's one thing if you've questioned the fit already, or if they've come to a similar conclusion, but if everything's bright and sunny now, a sudden, "It's not a good fit" either lacks credibility or makes you look flighty.

Employers know that it's likely that you've been interviewing as much as possible leading to their offer, and there's always a few month period when your prior search may bring a better offer. Besides, the world's a small place, and if you're in a job that has a training program, chances are they'll Google you of of curiosity, especially if they don't 100% believe you, and find from LinkedIn or Facebook, etc. that you started the new job right away, or they'll hear front from someone else in the industry, or from your college roommate's cousin who goes to the same Pilates class. Once caught in a lie, there's a better chance of being "not eligible for rehire."

That something unexpected came through is much more believable, especially in this job market.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I'll put in another vote here for telling ASAP (i.e. as soon as the drug screen comes back), giving the current employer the option of having you leave immediately or staying on to work the notice, and being completely honest about the new job offer. While I've never had this happen with one of my staff, I've seen it happen to other managers and they have always been completely understanding when things are laid out honestly. The reality is that it is disappointing to the manager, but a good one will understand that this is life and that you have to do what is best for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    http://evilhrlady.org/ Go to this site and ask her. She really knows her stuff.

Good luck!
    Thanks for this link!