View Poll Results: Can Ashley Wagner win World championship in 2013?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she is ready and she can win!

77 30.56%
  • No way!

52 20.63%
  • Yes, if other top skaters make mistakes

113 44.84%
  • Yes, if she improves in this area (specify)

10 3.97%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    IMO Mirai has more talent than Ashley. If she could get her act together this year, she could make the world team, but I think the USFSA should select 'safe' meaning consistent skaters this year. So the GP series will be very important for all the US ladies.

vCash
    If the overall level of skating across the board were to remain as it is now, then yes she definitely has a chance. However, if Yu Na and Mao are able to return to the form that they had at the last Olympics, and/or if the Russian newbies/Kostner and others were to up their levels to where Yu Na, Mao, Joannie were at in 2010, then she will have difficulty even making the podium without mistakes from others, unless she also ups her level. As Ashley has been improving at a considerable rate over the last 12 months, I think she could well improve a lot further and be in with a chance of a medal, possibly even the Gold.

I think that by the time of 2013 Worlds, the standard across the board will have risen considerably compared to 2012 Worlds. It usually does with just a year to go until the Olympics.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.

vCash
    Here is a question for everyone: What does Ashley have to do (where does she have to improve) to make herself a championship contender?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    5. Korpi and her inflated marks are back with a vengeance. Will she get ridiculously high marks at Worlds for SWP?
    Yes. Don't underestimate the power of pretty.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    If the overall level of skating across the board were to remain as it is now, then yes she definitely has a chance. However, if Yu Na and Mao are able to return to the form that they had at the last Olympics, and/or if the Russian newbies/Kostner and others were to up their levels to where Yu Na, Mao, Joannie were at in 2010,
    They won't (predicting). Yu Na couldn't even win a WC one year after taking a break. Joannie will not be in the same shape and Kostner is unpredictable with her lack of a certain triple.

Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    I think that by the time of 2013 Worlds, the standard across the board will have risen considerably compared to 2012 Worlds. It usually does with just a year to go until the Olympics.
    Which would make it even more impressive if she won this year or even medaled. I think she can do it if she keeps the same fire as in 4CC's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Here is a question for everyone: What does Ashley have to do (where does she have to improve) to make herself a championship contender?
    IMO, it's the following: add a 3-3, continue to develop consistency, continue to develop her SS, flesh out the choreography to S&D, and win or medal at a GP.

Ashley has been one of my favorite US ladies since her first senior season-I've been rooting for her chance at the top for so long!

As for the top of the Worlds podium, I'll won't bet on her, but I definitely wouldn't bet against her. You can tell she wants it, that's for sure, and I think that's going to go a long way in her continued growth over this season.

vCash
    I agree with those who say it is possible but not likely. Late bloomers are rare in skating but they do happen. Arakawa and Kostner are examples.

As far as the young ones are concerned, so many of them fall victim to puberty and injury nowadays the slate may be wiped clean by Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I agree with those who say it is possible but not likely. Late bloomers are rare in skating but they do happen. Arakawa and Kostner are examples.
    Serious question I wonder myself : do you really consider Kostner as a late bloomer ? I mean, even if she has achieved her best results at 25, she was 3rd at Junior Worlds and 4th at Euros at 15, 3rd at Worlds 2 years later.

vCash
    She gained her greatest consistency by abandoning the lutz and taking It easy really but kostner was not really a late bloomer, almost world champ in 2008, very close.

Wagner can do well sure if she can cleanly land jumps and get higher pcs, her model is leonova
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 10-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    I think she can, and I also predict she will be on the podium this year. She's only getting better and this would be her year to really capitalize on her momentum IMO.

vCash
    IMO Mirai has more talent than Ashley. If she could get her act together this year, she could make the world team, but I think the USFSA should select 'safe' meaning consistent skaters this year. So the GP series will be very important for all the US ladies.
    Mirai has allowed so many opportunities to slip thru her fingers: The '08 - '09 season wasn't her fault. She was dealing w/ a bone bruise and a growth spurt, but '10 Worlds, '11 Nats, and practically the whole '11 - '12 season were heartbreaking misses when the door was wide open, and she was ultimately responsible for what happened. I will still root for her, but she is now in a position where she will get no love from the USFSA. She has to prove everything consistently on the ice to have a shot at the Worlds team.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    She HAS TO skate a clean SP to have a shot! That is always the challenge for Ashley.

vCash
    Mirai seems past her prime. Her skating seems heavy and slow, her programs last year were bOOOring even had she skated them cleaner, and even her spins dont seem as spectacular as before. I dont see her being much of a threat at Nationals unless she skates lights out and others bomb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Yes. Don't underestimate the power of pretty.
    Yeah - just ask Brian Joubert (Who i'm also a fan of)

Banned Member
    vCash
    Well, Nicks was a move in the right direction. I haven't seen her programs this year, but last year her programs were SUCH a step up. Before it was just so busy, so cluttered, so non-championship. Basically so very Tonia Kwiatkowski. With Nicks she portrayed the champion, though unfortunately she wasn't going clean. I think with Nicks she will achieve her potential and become a staple US contender this year and for 2014. I think of her as an undefined skater who could be a Joannie Rochette. Great skills, attention to detail. But JRo cleaned up her technique and Wagner still has major issues.

Also, she needs to work on her two footed landings. She always tends to two foot in a crunch. And she still is not even close to a BOE on her lutz. It never seemed to hurt Sasha, but it's a different judging world now.

Wagner is a beautiful young woman and skater, and she has drive. I don't bet against skaters who have drive. I didn't bet against Sasha because she was no slacker, she just had poor jump technique. I think Wagner is much stronger than Sasha, plus she is capable of wonderful "moment" spins (something even a Kwan could not create, she just had no speed or flexibility in her spins).

I'll admit I've been a Wagner fan for years (since juniors), and was so happy to see her bring up her skating level last year. She was in a slump and made a major move, and so far it has worked. Good on her, and I wish her continued success.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Right now, I'd say she's definitely the most likely prospect for a medal, but I can't see her winning the whole thing, particularly if Mao and Yu-Na come back strong.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Does anyone seriously think Yuna Kim is returning? Or that Mao Asada is a contender anymore?

I imagine that like Ando they will both withdraw.. I love Lipnitskaia but she has some important tech issues. I would not assume a Nicks fully packaged Wagner and with 3/3 and grit as a non-gold medalist. She could be Oly champ. Haha, if it happens I said it right here first.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Does anyone seriously think Yuna Kim is returning? Or that Mao Asada is a contender anymore?

I imagine that like Ando they will both withdraw.. I love Lipnitskaia but she has some important tech issues. I would not assume a Nicks fully packaged Wagner and with 3/3 and grit as a non-gold medalist. She could be Oly champ. Haha, if it happens I said it right here first.
    Mao will not withdraw. She has worked hard on her jumps, in order to get back to the top. Hard to tell what Yu na will do. She has already won the OGM and may not have the motivation.

vCash
    We will find out this season if Gold is a strong competitor or another in the long line of headcases that are still skating. She does seem to fight through her programs which Alissa and especially Mirai are not known to do.

vCash
    I think Yuna will compete in 2013 WC (not withdraw). I heard Yuna likes her new programs very much and is working very enthusiastically. Kim HaeJin(JGP Sencila Bled Cup single winner) said Yuna is still the same.
    Last edited by totoro8673; 10-12-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast