Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

#23 Davis & White: That's Why They're Champions

As dancing pro, Derek Hough would say

Let's continue cheering on for our Disney princess Meryl, and magic carpet hair Charlie, with whatever they choose to do.

♢ Because they will always be royal

vCash
    Here's a good shot of Charlie's trim:

https://twitter.com/OlympicChaz/stat...835585/photo/1

Nothing too dramatic.

vCash
    Yay new thread! And here I was worrying that the D/W threads were going to die down soon after the Olympics...no such case, our enthusiasm cannot be contained

vCash
    Awesome! This will be a fun thread. Not only do we have probably DWTS to look forward to, we have the SOI tour to look forward to. So there's still plenty to talk about, as well as interviews and other media-related things MC are doing.

While I'm disappointed they won't be going to Worlds, it's not really surprising. They can't fit in Worlds and SOI and DWTS. And they probably feel like they have to seize whatever opportunities come their way before the media/ general public goes back to its standard mode of "ice dancing... what's that?"

vCash
    Did they officially announce that they're not going to Worlds? Although I tend to think that they're not, based on the fact that Virtue and Moir aren't going.

vCash
    All signs seem to be pointing that Marlie will do DWTS, but what if we end up being wrong? I won't be too disappointed because maybe that'll mean there's still a chance they might go to World's?

vCash
    D&W aren't even officially in yet, and the whining has already begun on the DWTS message board:

I always thought the rules for DWTS stated you can't have any ballroom experience. Davis and White definitely have ballroom experience. I agree with boyznkatz, it would be highly unfair if they were on. Sure it would be interesting to watch because the dancing would be excellent, but we would know from week one who would be in the finals, Davis (with her partner Derek, of course) and White with probably Karina. It's pretty depressing watching a competition show when you are 99% certain from week one who will win.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Did they officially announce that they're not going to Worlds? Although I tend to think that they're not, based on the fact that Virtue and Moir aren't going.
    They are not on the official entry list published today: http://dev.figureskating.sportresult...0/51515/MEN/TO
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    D&W aren't even officially in yet, and the whining has already begun on the DWTS message board:
    You mean the results are "fixed"? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

vCash
    Hey, no one knows if the winner will Charlie or Meryl. (Seriously, though, the ringers often don't win.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Hey, no one knows if the winner will Charlie or Meryl. (Seriously, though, the ringers often don't win.)
    That's what I hate about the DWTS voters. They turn it into a popularity contest.

vCash
    Isn't it always kind of obvious with DWTS who will be in the final round? Typically young, fit, and good looking, with some history of physical training regiments and working under pressure. That's why athletes and stage performers like musicians do so well. It'd be impossible to make the show completely fair: Imagine trying to find 12 people who have never danced a day in their life and who all have similar skills, physical traits, and work ethics...

vCash
    Ringers often don't win, but rings are often hip-hop dancers, gymnasts or ice skaters who have no ballroom experience. Charlie and Meryl are just unfairly ringers in that they have studied ballroom rhythms and characterizations- intensely and taken actual ballroom dance classes for years!

When people said it was unfair someone like Yamaguchi was on the show because she performs to music- that's absurd. But what C/M do is ballroom, just on ice.

vCash
    As I understand it, DWTS is really a popularity contest and Meryl and Charlie will be splitting their fan base. I wouldn't anticipate either one of them making the finals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    As I understand it, DWTS is really a popularity contest and Meryl and Charlie will be splitting their fan base. I wouldn't anticipate either one of them making the finals.
    Yeah, the fan base splitting is going to be tough- but looking at who else is on that list, I'm not sure who really has a fan base...

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yeah, the fan base splitting is going to be tough- but looking at who else is on that list, I'm not sure who really has a fan base...
    I've seen lots of squealing on Twitter about Cody Simpson and that James guy who is completely foreign to me. So I think they'll be very popular with the younger crowd if they're on.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    .......but looking at who else is on that list, I'm not sure who really has a fan base...
    The DWTS list is out already? Got a link?

vCash
    Maybe a little unfair, sure. But at the end of the day, at least for me, it's just a fun opportunity to watch some nice dancing and pretty costumes with celebrities I'm only faintly aware of I didn't know until recently that there's actually an intense fanbase that keep stats and everything. It's like American Idol to me: I'll watch it if it's on, but the winner hardly matters.

I'm just looking forward to seeing some new and interesting things from Meryl and Charlie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    The DWTS list is out already? Got a link?
    No, just the unofficial one.

vCash
    If Meryl indeed has Derek, she had a great shot at the finals, because he himself has a huge fan base independent of her. Rumor right now suggests Charlie has Sharna, who I believe is newer, so he might have a tougher road--but he's very charismatic, so...and we won't actually know until tomorrow.

I'm excited for them to do the show, but it's hard to disagree that they have an unfair advantage. At the end of the day, it's the producers and casting who make the decision, so I hope people who are upset blame them and don't take it out on Meryl and Charlie, who are just taking advantage of a great opportunity they've been offered. It shouldn't be on them to make the decision about whether their participation is "fair."

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast