View Poll Results: Favourite (Underappreciated) Stevie Nicks Song(s)? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • After The Glitter Fades (Bella Donna)

6 15.38%
  • Every Day (Trouble In Shangri-La)

4 10.26%
  • I Can’t Wait (Rock A Little)

4 10.26%
  • If Anyone Falls (The Wild Heart)

8 20.51%
  • Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (Street Angel)

3 7.69%
  • Rooms On Fire (The Other Side of the Mirror)

6 15.38%
  • Sara (Fleetwood Mac, Tusk)

13 33.33%
  • Say You Will (Fleetwood Mac, Say You Will)

4 10.26%
  • Secret Love (In Your Dreams)

4 10.26%
  • Seven Wonders (Fleetwood Mac)

11 28.21%
  • Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac)

16 41.03%
  • Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins with Stevie)

8 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I remember Stevie saying on Story Tellers that the song she heard that day was Little Red Corvette by Prince, and it had inspired her. Stevie also said that Prince went to the recording studio and played the keyboards for Stand Back.
    Stevie Nicks and Prince demo: All Over You

Ever since I first heard this song, I wished they had finished it. I love the idea of Stevie as a Funk Mama.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Interesting about Stand Back! Will have to do a proper listen of Little Red Corvette and Stand Back back to back.

As for All Over You - there seems to be a lot of skepticism over whether or not it's her, him or either. It's possible of course, but also a distinct lack of proof - Stevie has told a story about going to Prince's house and jamming (not referencing this song), but other than the Stand Back story, there's no evidence of collaboration between the two and neither seems to have talked about this song. Artists jam privately all the time, but considering this has been in circulation for decades, you'd think one of them - Stevie who loves to tell stories or Prince who's so protective of his work - would have addressed it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    As for All Over You - there seems to be a lot of skepticism over whether or not it's her, him or either. It's possible of course, but also a distinct lack of proof - Stevie has told a story about going to Prince's house and jamming (not referencing this song), but other than the Stand Back story, there's no evidence of collaboration between the two and neither seems to have talked about this song. Artists jam privately all the time, but considering this has been in circulation for decades, you'd think one of them - Stevie who loves to tell stories or Prince who's so protective of his work - would have addressed it.
    In the link I provided, the description said something about, "let's see how long this stays up before some purple entity has it removed..." Often with demos or bootlegs there are multiple postings of the song, but there was only one for "All Over You". Which makes me wonder if Prince's people regularly are looking for it to be posted and then have it removed? (I've been listening to a lengthy wikipedia entry of unreleased Madonna songs and there are multiple postings for almost every song.)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    In the link I provided, the description said something about, "let's see how long this stays up before some purple entity has it removed..." Often with demos or bootlegs there are multiple postings of the song, but there was only one for "All Over You". Which makes me wonder if Prince's people regularly are looking for it to be posted and then have it removed?
    Yes, saw that and it's been up since May - Prince can make people take stuff down that he doesn't authorize, but what if it's not him - not sure what the law is on something that isn't him but is represented as him.

Was this not also from the period when Prince lost control of his name? It's possible that the song never saw the light of day because he doesn't have copyright on it.

Either way, with two artists this big you'd think there would be more discussion about it, and specifically from either or both of them.

Another one who's all over this stuff is Springsteen. Given that his concerts are always unique and often feature unrecorded material, bootlegs have always been part of the mix - I have a worn old cassette myself When he did his first live record in the mid 80s, he was smart enough to include a bunch of rarities - giving fans what they want without having to resort to bootlegs.

I once found a CD called Before the Music of very early Springsteen demos put out by the people who had recorded them, and it wasn't long before Bruce managed to get all the outstanding copies recalled.

Funny thing is it was the same store in suburban Atlanta where I got the Buckingham Nicks CD with all the extra tracks not on the album. Must dig it out and check the credits because it's no longer in print and may have been a dodgy release as well.

Happy to have both though.

vCash
    Silver Springs is one of the very best Fleetwood Mac songs. It is a great pity that it wasn't included in the original Rumours album. I think it would have been a major hit. As it is, it is the Fleetwood Mac song to which I listen the most nowadays.

The bit at about 4:55 son the Youtube with Nicks singing "You'll never get away" to Lindsay Buckingham is heartbreaking.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Stevie Nicks and Prince demo: All Over You

Ever since I first heard this song, I wished they had finished it. I love the idea of Stevie as a Funk Mama.
    Oh my gosh! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, Peter! Stevie as "Funk Mama" sounds pretty cool.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I always wanted the dress that Stevie is wearing in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UD0c58nNCQ

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Great song and love the dress. I loved Stevie and Tom Petty as a duet. Another favorite off the Bella Donna album:

Edge of Seventeen
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing some of the history behind the songs, Peter. I remember on Story Tellers, Stevie talked about how the song Stand Back came to be. Some more information about the song can be found here:

http://www.inherownwords.com/standback.htm

I remember Stevie saying on Story Tellers that the song she heard that day was Little Red Corvette by Prince, and it had inspired her. Stevie also said that Prince went to the recording studio and played the keyboards for Stand Back.
    Too bad "Stand Back" isn't in the choice list. That is what I would have chosen, not just because it's my favorite SN song, but because it's been a fcuker of a workday (my 26th anniversary here in fact), and it's a bloody wonder I didn't either go off on somebody or just walk out.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Quadless
    vCash
    I loved Stevie and Tom Petty as a duet.[/url]
    I'm pretty sure Stevie and Tom Petty remain close to this day. If you didn't see the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers documentary, Running Down a Dream, watch the trailer, which shows Nicks saying she would have left Fleetwood Mac to join The Heartbreakers if Petty had asked her to do so. (BTW - if you like Tom Petty this is a must see film.)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thank you for sharing the trailer. I definitely want to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan
    Too bad "Stand Back" isn't in the choice list. That is what I would have chosen, not just because it's my favorite SN song, but because it's been a fcuker of a workday (my 26th anniversary here in fact), and it's a bloody wonder I didn't either go off on somebody or just walk out.
    Congrats on the 26th anniversary! You deserve a lot of respect for sticking with one job that long. I just hate it was a hell of a day for you. Hope it gets better soon!
    Angie

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70uN_EtZJA

Beauty and the Beast is my favourite by her. Have choreographed numerous dance bits to it, never a skating one.
    A should-be classic. Alone the lines of "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?" - so intimate and personal. I think songs like this scare some people off because they are so open and honest. Simply a wondrous song!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The other one very much worth digging up is Buckingham/Nicks - the record she made with Lindsay before Fleetwood Mac. I've always had the vinyl, but a few years back there was a CD issue that included another 10 or so rare songs - just beautiful and very much worth hunting down.
    I found this one in a discount bin at a store like an old Woolworth's sometime in the 70's, not sure if it was after the 1975 album or Rumours. But when I saw it, I freaked! I had probably read about it in Rolling Stone, but had never actually seen it. And here I find it and this poor kid finds a discounted-price version! I still have this LP. One day I will tell you all about when CFOX played the Tusk album in it's entirety...well after my bedtime and what I had to do to record it!

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    lol, when i was little we had the 8 track and the vinyl, ah memories
    Very funny. I've seen pictures of you. You're not nearly old enough to know what an 8 track is!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Very funny. I've seen pictures of you. You're not nearly old enough to know what an 8 track is!!
    your check is in the mail.

we had a stack of 8 tracks and nothing to play them on. but no one would throw them out.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    That sounds a lot like me. I still have several 8 tracks and albums. I'm still able to play the albums. I play my old Fleetwood Mac and Stevie albums quite a bit. It's a wonder they're not worn out.
    Angie

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Record albums are alive and well my friends. New ones continue to be issued, old ones reissued, and collectors hunt down the optimal pressings of old ones. And they still make record players, only now they are rather expensive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123