View Poll Results: Favourite (Underappreciated) Stevie Nicks Song(s)? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • After The Glitter Fades (Bella Donna)

6 15.38%
  • Every Day (Trouble In Shangri-La)

4 10.26%
  • I Can’t Wait (Rock A Little)

4 10.26%
  • If Anyone Falls (The Wild Heart)

8 20.51%
  • Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (Street Angel)

3 7.69%
  • Rooms On Fire (The Other Side of the Mirror)

6 15.38%
  • Sara (Fleetwood Mac, Tusk)

13 33.33%
  • Say You Will (Fleetwood Mac, Say You Will)

4 10.26%
  • Secret Love (In Your Dreams)

4 10.26%
  • Seven Wonders (Fleetwood Mac)

11 28.21%
  • Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac)

16 41.03%
  • Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins with Stevie)

8 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Doesn't anyone have her newest CD from last year, In Your Dreams??
    I have. Love it.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Same here. Totally love it.

In Your Dreams
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    What a relief to see what this thread is really about! From its title, I thought that you were ranting that Mariah Carrey or you should strangle Nicki Minaj (or someone).

I have no "underappreciated" song to vote for -- "Landslide" is my choice.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    I voted Sara, but I wouldn't call it an underestimated song. Was it ?
    I thought the same thing and was surprised to see it listed as underestimated.

vCash
    I love Silver Springs. One of my favorite songs.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I always liked "Leather & Lace". Stevie Nicks and Don Henley duet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEMiDrdSKU

ETA: I met and partied with Stevie Nicks once back in 1984.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 10-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I always liked "Leather & Lace". Stevie Nicks and Don Henley duet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEMiDrdSKU

One of my favorite duets ever.

I'm jealous.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Details! We need details!

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Rhiannon
    Landslide
    Dreams
    Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (with Tom Petty)
    Leather and Lace (with Don Henley)
    Edge of Seventeen
    Gypsy
    Stand Back
    Talk To Me
    I LOVE all of those songs. Gypsy is one of my faves. And also note my current user title.

Sara is the only one that makes me cry!

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Details! We need details!
    Back in 1984, I was at a local club called the "25th Hour" at The Woodlands Inn and Resort in NE Pennsylvania. I met a girl from the club who I smoked a joint with, and she liked the pot so much, she asked me if I'd like to meet a friend of hers.... Stevie Nicks. I said "Hell yeah"!!!!

So we went to one of the seperate cabins located in the wood area of the Inn, and low and behold Stevie Nicks was there. We smoked a joint and had a few drinks for about an hour. She was very cool and down to earth. I even left her a little pot since she didn't have any.

Strange thing was, she was suppose to be in the area "drying out" from alcohol and substance abuse at the time.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Wow! AFAIK, Stevie was sadly very much into drugs (I'm talking beyond pot) at that time, something she talks about openly now. In spite of the sort of persona she's created with her look and stage performances, one does get the impression from interviews over the years that she's an honest down to earth person. Thanks for sharing

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    What a relief to see what this thread is really about! From its title, I thought that you were ranting that Mariah Carrey or you should strangle Nicki Minaj (or someone).
    I had no idea about that! Wonder if that's what got her so much airplay the other day...someone suggesting they might take out Nicki Minaj??

Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I just found out that Stevie wrote this for Joe Walsh. I think this is an amazing song, one of the most intimate and personal songs ever written. The reason I found that it was written for Joe Walsh is because I had heard some rumour that he had said something about Stevie being an easy lay or something to that effect. After reading about them, I think that's just something he said (if he said it at all) in a moment of anger after they broke up. From what I've read online, they dated from '83 to '86 after he opened for her on one of her tours. Excessive drug use on both their parts or his non-chalant attitude led to them breaking up (depending on which website you read).

Anyway, Has Anyone...was written for Joe after he told Stevie about the death of his young daughter. You can read about that here. After Stevie and Joe broke up, a heated exchange led Stevie to write "Welcome To The Room...Sara":

The breaking point came one day after Joe had gotten back from a tour. Stevie was trying to work in the studio with Waddy Wachtel, and Joe came over. Instead of waiting until she was done and then spending time with her, he decided to go and have some fun with the guys. They were hanging around the studio getting drunk and/or stoned, laughing, having a grand old time, and meanwhile Stevie was off to the side waiting for her time, but never got it. Finally, she got tired of waiting. She told him she was leaving, and asked him to come with her. Then, he tells her - "Oh, I meant to tell you - I can't see you tomorrow. I'm leaving to go on another tour." Stevie threw a fit - he knew he was leaving the next day, and this was how he acted?! She said, "I don't think this is working" and turned to leave. At this point, Joe delivered a line that Stevie actually incorporated in a song later - "If you walk out that door, you cease to exist."
    "Long Way To Go" is the third Walsh-inspired song of Stevie's:

An addendum: a while later, after she finished her next album Rock a Little, she got in contact with Joe again. She called him and asked him if he'd like her to come over and play it for him. He said yes, so she rode out to his place in a limo ride which took a couple hours. Once she got there, Joe once again didn't have time for her. She was so mad about this that she wrote the song "Long Way to Go" about it - the lyrics to the chorus: "Well, it's a real long way to go to say goodbye! I thought we already did that - have fun! Tell the world!" lol
    By the way, from what I've read, Stevie said that Joe Walsh and Lindsay Buckingham were the two men she would have married and given up her career for (if they had asked).
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Oh...Stevie and Lindsey. One of my favorite topics...ever. I don't know if Stevie would've married him, but they really still have chemistry after all these years.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I loooove early Stevie Nicks, but this thread led me to youtube, where I very unfortunately watched clips of her recent live singing. It's.............awful She sounds more coked out than she did in the 80s. I know it's not drugs now, but her voice is just gone.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I've always had a soft spot for her. I voted for 'Seven Wonders', I have it on my most newly created playlist , I've listened to it so many times and still never tire of it. I can say the same for Nightbird ,Rooms on Fire, Silver Springs and Landslide.

I remember a friend of mine was coerced into going to a concert she didn't like and she said 'I can't remember the singer's name, but she sounds just like a sheep" . I knew instantly she was talking about Stevie! Mheeheeh , I lurves her sheep voice

Quadless
    vCash
    Not mentioned and one of my all time faves - Sable on Blond from Wild at Heart.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    I voted Sara, but I wouldn't call it an underestimated song. Was it ?
    It hit the top 10 when it was released, but I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio since then. It's very quiet, intimate and understated so I'm wondering if radio sees it as bland and ignores it. Those three things I just mentioned are what makes the song great to me. Also, I've heard people on all the talent TV shows cover various Stevie songs, but never this one. Guess they go for songs which they can make over-the-top and this one is so gentle and subdued, they avoid it as they thing it won't make them stand out. So in these ways I think the song is overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    violet and blue was the first song i thought of when i opened the thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRs9ofsyrv0
    Nice one! From the "Against All Odds" soundtrack (and later on her "Enchanted" box set).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    What about Sleeping Angel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDkR...feature=fvwrel

I grew up in the 70s/80s and Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a huge influence. Sleeping Angel really gets Stacy's character.

Love Stevie.
    That's a great choice too!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    She sounds more coked out than she did in the 80s. I know it's not drugs now, but her voice is just gone.
    I remember an interview where she talked about how her voice coach was trying to get her to speak and sing in a higher voice because her lower pitch was what was damaging her vocal cords.

It's funny hearing her voice described as sheep-like, because I've always loved her voice, but I hate goat voices like Chris Daughtry's.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    My favorites were on Peter's first list
    Rhiannon and Landslide.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing some of the history behind the songs, Peter. I remember on Story Tellers, Stevie talked about how the song Stand Back came to be. Some more information about the song can be found here:

http://www.inherownwords.com/standback.htm

I remember Stevie saying on Story Tellers that the song she heard that day was Little Red Corvette by Prince, and it had inspired her. Stevie also said that Prince went to the recording studio and played the keyboards for Stand Back.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast