Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nanowrimo 2012

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I've just cracked 30,000. I'm behind again
    That's a lot of words! And we've got another weekend. I'm sure you'll make it now.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I'm at 54,576 words and really getting into the conclusion of my story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    That's a lot of words! And we've got another weekend. I'm sure you'll make it now.
    *cracks fingers*

Well done Angelskates!

vCash
    Good job Angelskates!
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I got to 50K last night. Well 50,002. So I'm done.

I will probably write more but I need to organize things first so I can figure out what parts are missing and what needs fleshing out.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Just broke 35,000, so I'm at par for Day 21. trying to get ahead some.

vCash
    Good job, everyone! I'm at 42K. Probably won't get to write again until Friday night, but at least I am a little bit ahead of the game.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Just broke par for Day 23 (it's 40 minutes after midnight here, so the 23rd). If I can crack 40,000 by tonight, I'll really believe that maybe I will win this year.

vCash
    40,097. Suddenly 50k is looking reachable.

vCash
    I completed my story, and also officially won today!

How's everyone else doing?

vCash
    Congrats, Angelskates! I won today too (with a completed story). Got my purple bar on the NaNo site and even treated myself to another winner's T-shirt. I'll probably keep going back and adding to my novel over the next few days, but at least I can say I won again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Congrats, Angelskates! I won today too (with a completed story). Got my purple bar on the NaNo site and even treated myself to another winner's T-shirt. I'll probably keep going back and adding to my novel over the next few days, but at least I can say I won again.

vCash
    Congrats, Angelskates!

I haven't written anything since I got over 40k, I had a pile of stuff. But I feel like the last 10k is really manageable. After all, on Nov 1 I wrote 8k in one day. Surely I can manage this. I am NOT about to lose when I am this close!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I logged in today and it said I won even though I hadn't validated after 11/24 (I validated before just for grins). That surprised me. Anyway, I'm at 61111 words according to Scrivener and my memoirs are morphing into a novel, as I expected they would. So after Dec 1st, I'm going to work on the novel as I edit the memoir.

vCash
    I've fallen behind again thanks to a pile of stuff that's taking longer than I thought. Still determined to win!

vCash
    I'm only at the half way mark so I don't think I will make the deadline

I'm on vacation the rest of the week and have nothing else planned so there is still hope. My lousy typing is holding me back more than a lack of inspiration. I'm also finding that I have to go back and re-read the whole thing periodically to make sure I haven't repeated myself when providing descriptions and background information. I don't want my novel to be backloaded with all the description in the front and all the action in the second half. I also have to check for continuity.

I'm going to go ahead and finish it though even if I don't make the deadline. My family is curious to read it and I feel committed to it.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Congratulations to all the winners so far, and a big 'you can do it' to everyone else.

Haven't even managed to open my novel from last year to edit. Hoping next year I can participate again in some manner!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I'm also finding that I have to go back and re-read the whole thing periodically to make sure I haven't repeated myself when providing descriptions and background information. I don't want my novel to be backloaded with all the description in the front and all the action in the second half. I also have to check for continuity.
    This is exactly what they tell you not to do during NaNoWriMo. The theory is that this sort of editing stifles your creativity and it's better to just write and write and write and worry about continuity and what order things are appearing in the document when Dec. comes.

I decided to just go with this advice and it's worked very well for me. I think I've spent 3 days total over the month doing light editing just enough to know what I had and hadn't written. Now that I'm done, I'm moving things around, filling in the gaps and removing redundancies. If I had done that in Nov. though, it would have been like my first novel -- Inever would have gotten past the first three chapters!

Do you use Scrivener? I find that it helps me enormously to keep organized. I plan to go back in Dec. and color code things and assign themes and keywords so I can make sure I haven't described the same incident more than once. But not in Nov. because Nov is for writing, writing, writing -- so that's what I've been doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    This is exactly what they tell you not to dduring NaNoWriMo. The theory is th
    t this sort of editing stifles your creativity and it's better to just write and write and write and worry about continuity and what order things are appearing in the document when Dec. comes.
    I decided to just go with this advice and it's worked very well for me. I think I've spent 3 days total over the month doing light editing just enough to know what I had and hadn't written. Now that I'm done, I'm moving things around, filling in the gaps and removing redundancies. If I had done that in Nov. though, it would have been like my first novel -- Inever would have gotten past the first three chapters!

Do you use Scrivener? I find that it helps me enormously to keep organized. I plan to go back in Dec. and color code things and assign themes and keywords so I can make sure I haven't described the same incident more than once. But not in Nov. because Nov is for writing, writing, writing -- so that's what I've been doing.
    I opened an account on the Nanowrimo page but I haven't visited it since.

This is my first attempt at novel writing. I typed a straight narative then broke it into ten chapters. I've been going back and adding to the chapters as I think of details, but jumping around in time got me a bit confused as to how old my characters should be etc. Hence the re-reading. I also had to go back and make a list of my characters because I kept forgetting their names!

My story keeps growing so I'm not having creativity problems, I'm just finding it difficult to manage such a large doument. I've never written anything longer than a 20 page term paper.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I also had to go back and make a list of my characters because I kept forgetting their names!
    I managed to change the name of one of my characters mid-novel a couple of NaNo's back. I didn't realise until I wanted to go back and check something for reference.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast