Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nanowrimo 2012

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This was my first attempt at NaNoWriMo too. But I did attempt a novel once. Before that I only did short stories and poetry and I was convinced I was an extremely talented writer who would be famous for my novels some day. But trying to write a novel killed me as a writer. I never wrote any fiction after that ever again until this week. (So it's been 33 years - wow.)

I'm not sure what the deal is with novels but I found them much harder than just writing a longer short story or writing several short stories strung together and trying to do a novel convinced me that I didn't have the talent to be a writer so I stopped writing except for work and my blog and message boards all of which are non-fiction. Isn't that sad?

I think that's why the NaNo people came up with this idea of writing a novel in a month with little or no editing. The idea of both writing every day no matter what even if it's only 200 words and the idea of just writing, writing, writing and worrying about editing later when your first draft is done intrigued me. I have to say that I'm totally sold on this way of writing now when the no editing part scared me before I started and I wasn't 100% on board with that part on Nov. 1st. Actually, the writing every day part scared me a bit too and I did have to force myself to do that at first.

But now I've decided I'm going to write every day from now on even if it's just a blog entry.

I have an idea for another book and this one I'm going to plan out more than what I wrote for NaNo and it's not like I didn't stop at some point this month and do some organization for what I wrote this time, but for the most part I didn't worry about things being out of order or inconsistencies in the text like I normally do and, as a result, I have 66,695 words written with more coming. I just never expected that. I expected it to be so hard and to barely be able to make my word count and for most of what I wrote to be junk and have to be thrown out.

I wonder how much not having to throw much of it out has to do with writing on an iPad. I switched to a laptop for Thanksgiving weekend and I find with the iPad, that I am much more compact in my writing and less apt to go one step too far and then feel like I've over described something or explained what the reader should be inferring.

So for my next project, I will create the world and main characters ahead of time but then I plan to just write, write, write again and see what happens. I'm also going to get Scrivener on the iPad when it comes out.

I'm so excited! I had stopped writing except technical writing decades ago after my failed novel attempt and now I feel like I've gotten a part of me back that I had lost.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Congratulations McMadame. I'd like to read your novel when you are done.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I intend to publish it, so you will get to. Eventually!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    On a massive, huge sprint trying to beat the clock. I have three hours and 6000 words to write.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    On a massive, huge sprint trying to beat the clock. I have three hours and 6000 words to write.
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

vCash
    1.5 hours to go. 3500 (approx) words to go. *screaming at computer* I WILL NOT LOSE!

vCash
    OH MY GOD I MADE IT!

With seven minutes to spare, I hit 50027. It's not finished, but it's over 50k, I have the purple bar for the first time ever!

vCash
    OH MY GOD I MADE IT!

With seven minutes to spare, I hit 50027. It's not finished, but it's over 50k, I have the purple bar for the first time ever!

Just got my winner's T-shirt in the mail yesterday and wore it to the gym.

I think I'm going to spend December going back and working on the NaNo novel I wrote in 2011 -- it's the predecessor to what I wrote this time, and I don't want to lose touch with this story for another year again.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    OH MY GOD I MADE IT!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Congrats to everyone!

I didn't realize this when I started but it turns out NaNoWriMo was invented about 30 min. from my house. So tonight I'm going to a Thank God It's Over party in San Francisco that the Office of Letters and Lights is putting on. We're supposed to bring 2 pages of our novel to hang on the wall and we can also read it if we want to.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Congratulations everyone!!

I know someone who finished with 2 minutes to spare.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    That sounds like our ML (Municipal Liaison). I was giving her a hard time about it at the party we went to tonight.

The party was awesome, btw, and they gave out some goodies including a coupon for 50% off BiblioCrunch for participants and "Free access" for Winners. If the code isn't in the list they'll publish in a few days, I'll give it to anyone who PMs me. But I suspect it will be.

The coupon came inside a nice little notebook with a pen attached. Sorry, I can't PM those.

The same ML was wearing a Winner's Shirt. They are nice. I'll probably buy one online. I bought the regular Venn Diagram one since it was there. And talked the Nano website programmer's ear off. Poor boy. I got to talk to a bunch of the Office of Letter and Lights people including Chris Baty who started the whole thing as well. And lots of other random people.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456