Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ There's a picture of Ashley as a kid on her official site. Her hair was blonde as a youngster apparently. Obviously, and not unusually her hair turned to a dark brown shade as she got older. She can rock dark with auburn highlights, or dark roots with blonde highlights.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/a...s/persfam1.jpg

vCash
    Ashley Wagner tweeted today: "My new ESPNW blog is up..I talk about Japan Open and Skate America, check it out!"
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2...tart-my-season
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

Ashley provides a revealing description of what it feels like being out on the ice at the start of a new season, debuting a new program:

Just getting out there and dealing with some pressure was the first step to building my confidence for the rest of the season. There’s no way to simulate in practice how I’m going to feel skating in front of all those eyes. I have a love-hate relationship with performing. Right before I step onto the ice I think, “Why am I doing this? This is awful!” But as soon as the music comes on, the feeling of everyone watching me gives me a huge adrenaline rush and I just want to show off.
    Since she's taking a Journalism class, it's a nice bonus that she has the opportunity to write a blog for ESPN this season.

vCash
    Exciting sponsor news tweeted by Ashley today :
    It's official...I'm a Nike girl!! Thanks @Nike for this incredible opportunity! #nikewomen #nikefuel #dreamcometrue
    Also, Ashley's cover story article from the October (digital) issue of SKATING magazine is available to be read online: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...october-issue/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-08-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Wonderful for Ashley! Congrats, NikeWoman!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ahh! Congrats, Ash!

Question: is Nike the company that has just one athlete represented from each sport? If so, wasn't Yu-Na that at the time of the last Olympics?

vCash
    Great news for Ashley. This is the first significant endorsement deal for a U.S. lady in quite some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Also, Ashley's cover story article from the October (digital) issue of SKATING magazine is available to be read online: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...october-issue/
    Thanks, that's a very nice feature on Ashley.

Kudos to all involved for the fact that Priscilla Hill's skills and professionalism as a coach are mentioned, along with what she did for Ashley referred to in a positive light.

John Nicks is a wonderful curmudgeon! Definitely Ashley's "Yoda."

Interesting re the characterization of Ashley's early failures and limitations. I always enjoyed and rooted for Ashley but often felt that bottom line she simply wasn't appreciated as much as some other skaters. However, everyone's path is different and sometimes individuals have to go through hard times and come to what seems like the end of their dreams before it's possible to figure out a way to begin again, make changes, find the help that makes a difference, approach goals differently and lift oneself up by one's bootstraps. Then magical things can happen, but preparation and hard work is still necessary fuel for the stardust moments.

vCash
    Major endorsement deal for Ashley! Congrats and it's so well deserved!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Congrats to Ashley regarding the endorsement. I really enjoyed the blog, and thanks for sharing the photos everyone.
    Angie
    ďI have not failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē ~ Thomas A. Edison

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Great news re Ashley's endorsement!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Here's Ashley's latest entry (Nov. 28) before the GP Final: http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2...lympic-preview

ETA: This Nov. 26 IceNetwork article quoted Wagner's IMG agent as saying that she may make some appearances in Nike stores but gave no further details at this time about what being named an "Nike athlete" entails.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks for posting.

Good luck to Ashley and Christina at Sochi GPF!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Thanks for posting.

Good luck to Ashley and Christina at Sochi GPF!
    Ditto that!

vCash
    Ashley is certainly earning through hard work and her results the kind of opportunities that come to a top US lady in front of the Olympics. The pressure from expectations and outside commitments will however only mount, so hopefully she will be able to continue to handle it. Of course, this is what skater's aim for and dream about, so time will tell.

vCash
    Gearing up for Nationals (Jan. 11, 2013): http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2...ring-nationals
    Now I’m back in full training mode, back in a sport that I'm much better at than basketball. It's crunch time, as I'm getting ready to defend my title at the U.S. Championships. Though I’m not totally used to the idea of being one of the favorites going in, it’s great to know that finishing in first place is a plausible outcome. I’ve spent so many years on the sidelines, watching people get sent to worlds and stand on top of podiums. Because of that, I once referred to myself as the “almost girl,” and the media really ran with it. Now people are calling me a frontrunner. Ironic, right?

vCash

Go Ashley!! I love her competitiveness, her drive and confidence, and I really want to see her repeat as champion this year.

vCash
    Her latest blog re. Nationals - "It was stressful, but I came out on top": http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/3...ssful-came-top

vCash
    Thanks for that. It's nice to hear her thoughts regarding what happened. I still think 120-anything was too high for that performance but I'm glad she still has her US crown. She's worn it very well for the past year and I think she's the best person to wear it heading into worlds.

I'm glad she turned down 4CC. (1) It gives a few skaters a chance to get some ISU cred and (2) she really needs the time to prepare for worlds. Not that it's an excuse but coming back from her injury and then the food poisoning thing didn't help her FS that night. My hope is that those things did factor in and that with some rest she'll be back in competitive form for worlds.

vCash
    What will happen if Gold out skates her at Worlds? Will many jump the Ashley ship and get on board the Gracie train lol?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast