vCash
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    All that just to win a pet snake?!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    A few years ago (here in Utah,) a mom died from drinking too much water in a contest. She was trying to win her kinds a Wii.

vCash
    From reading the article, we don't know if it is the bugs that killed him. Since those bugs were raised to be lizard food, I doubt it is the bugs. We'll know more when the autopsy comes out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    From reading the article, we don't know if it is the bugs that killed him. Since those bugs were raised to be lizard food, I doubt it is the bugs. We'll know more when the autopsy comes out.
    Whatever it was, it seemed to hit him quickly.

vCash
    Darwinism at it's finest.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Does the runner-up get the python now?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I'm not into autopsies in general, but that one - I'd want trauma pay!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I had much the same reaction. I'm not sure I could eat a cockroach if someone's life depended on it, let alone to win a snake.

I noticed a discussion in the article comments as to whether this is the sort of case a medical examiner would welcome or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    A few years ago (here in Utah,) a mom died from drinking too much water in a contest. She was trying to win her kinds a Wii.
    That one surprises me. I thought with all the interest in marathons and running people were aware of water poisoning. Too much water and not enough sodium upsets the electrolyte balance and causes heart arrhythmia.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    I'm not into autopsies in general, but that one - I'd want trauma pay!
    I'm sure they've actually seen worse...

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    That one surprises me. I thought with all the interest in marathons and running people were aware of water poisoning. Too much water and not enough sodium upsets the electrolyte balance and causes heart arrhythmia.
    I don't know, it's still not really common knowledge, IMO. Cause you're supposed to drink lots of water daily, right? Many people may just assume that more can't be unhealthy...

vCash
    Oh god, I want to barf reading that story.

I really enjoyed the quote though: "Some of the snakes are pretty expensive. I thought if I could eat bugs to get one, it'd be a good idea." No. It is not a good idea. Go home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    The disease organisms/cockroach defecation doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that take time? He died too quickly for me to believe it was the bugs. Unless they were still alive and somehow moved into an area that could cause him to stop breathing, or something like that. Don't know if that's possible, thug.

Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Part of that contest was that they had to drink XX amount of water within a certain amount of time and they were not allowed to urinate. Just plain stupid!

vCash
    There are consequences for extreme stupidity.
    What is the liability for whoever thought of this?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Supposedly the contestants all signed a waiver so I would think and hope that they are not liable. No one was forced to participate.

I also don't think it could be any kind of poisoning. If it was something so severe to kill him so fast then surely other people would have at least gotten ill or died as well. I am almost tempted to think it was something coincidental like a heart attack or brain aneurism. Maybe the excitement from the contest got his blood pressure too high and it was the straw that broke the camels back?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    All the contestants signed a waiver ... but of course no one though one could die from eating cockroaches.

I wouldn't necessarily call the contestants in this competition stupid. It wasn't like they picked up random roaches from people's apartments and ate them. They participated in an eating competition, and the roaches were supposedly raised in a clean environment as pet food (although all roaches are disgusting to me, regardless of where they were raised). The other contestants that ate the roaches didn't die.

I remember reading somewhere that the TV show "Fear Factor" is coming back to TV. The producers should think twice about having contestants eat disgusting things on the show.

vCash
    I am totally not reading this article.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    While I'm not a medical examiner or a doctor, what comes to mind as to what caused this guy's death would be something akin to either an allergic reaction of some sort (people can be allergic to roaches just like they can to other insects, fish, shellfish, and other animals) and died of anaphylaxis, or from aspirating vomit and dry-drowning.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the TV show "Fear Factor" is coming back to TV. The producers should think twice about having contestants eat disgusting things on the show.

Um, don't the contestants know what they're signing up for being on Fear Factor? If you're brave/stupid enough to be on FF, you get what you get.

vCash
    I don't know about you, but if I was responsible for a show I certainly wouldn't want anyone to die on my watch, even if accidentally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast