Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    I guess she was way more depedant on Morozov than I haver ever thought.

vCash
    So is she now retired? It says 2013 is her last season. Or is she going to still make a run at Sochi? I can't see her skating next season but not trying for the Olympics.

vCash
    According to the latest article, Miki said she wants to compete at 2013-2014 Japan national championships so far. She takes half a year off and then prepares for the domestic block competitions to be qualified for Japan nationals. She hasn't given up competing at Sochi, either. Anyway next season is next season. We have to wait to see what she says next autumn.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    her new boyfriend is a hockey player
    Not unless you mean tonsil hockey.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I wish Miki health and happiness, whatever she decides to do.

vCash
    I can't see her being a factor if she takes this season off. That will make it over two years before she competes again. Add in factors like her age and the tough competition in Japan i think maybe she needs to just retire for good now. By the time Japan Nationals roll around in December of 2013 she will be 26 and rusty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I can't see her being a factor if she takes this season off. That will make it over two years before she competes again. Add in factors like her age and the tough competition in Japan i think maybe she needs to just retire for good now. By the time Japan Nationals roll around in December of 2013 she will be 26 and rusty.
    rusty ? isn't that a bit ageist
    look at Suzuki or Leonova who are both turning 28, they are still doing good

vCash
    Since she pulled out of the GP, she wouldn't be able to compete until after NHK.
    Are you sure? Here is the GP Announcement
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3584
    I only find this restriction in Section 3.4, where it only applies to seeded skaters (those who finished 1-6 at 2012 Worlds).

There are two Senior B's before Japanese Nationals -- NRW and Golden Spin -- but, according to the article to which Sylvia links below, this isn't an option.
    I'm don't know if there is an actual definition for Senior B, but qualifying scores can be posted at any international event. Looking at the ISU calendar, I counted 7 international events at the senior level between now and Japanese Nationals, but the entry deadlines are already passed for the first four. Golden Spin is probably not a practical option because it is so close to Japanese Nationals, but I don't understand why Dortmund or Merano are not options.

Already passed:
    Oct 24-28 Cup of Nice (France)
    Oct 30-Nov 4 Crystal Ice (Brasov, Romania)
    Nov 6-11 IceChallenge (Graz, Austria)
    Nov 15-18 Warsaw Cup (Poland)

Still open:
    Nov 16-18 Merano Cup (Italy) - "each National Association may entry up to two (2) competitors for the Junior and Senior categories... Entries must be sent by October 15th"

Dec 5-9 NRW Trophy (Dortmund, Germany) - "Each ISU Member has the right to nominate 3 competitors for each single event ...The entries by name should reach the organizer not later than November 4th , 2012."

Dec 13-16 Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) - "Each ISU Member may enter one Competitor for Ladies and Men ...Entries must reach the Organizer not later than November 16, 2012."

IMO, it is doable if someone really wanted to make it happen. Because of all the smoke and misinformation, I'm beginning to think perhaps the real issue is that she just can't get ready in time. (It makes sense. If she can't be ready to compete at Trophy Bompard Nov 16-18, then does another week or two make much difference?)

I hope she finds something in life to interest/excite her again, whether it is skating or something else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Leonova will only be 22 next month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

Suzuki is doing very well for her, easier to do when she was never that great to begin with. Her high is probably the last year, I doubt she will be a big medal factor by Sochi but should be on their team.

Leonova is not anywhere near 28 years old, she is much younger than Ando, but that said she will be hard pressed to even make her own countries Olympic team for Sochi.

Ando would be 26 and having not competed for over 2 years. She is no Plushenko, and even Plushenko went from dominating the Olympics to losing to Evan freaking Lysacek after taking a few years off at that age.

Jammers is right but it is pretty obvious she is easing into retirement anyway. Probably one final token appearance at the Japan Open or maybe even her own Nationals next year to wave goodbye.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Are you sure? Here is the GP Announcement
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3584
    I only find this restriction in Section 3.4, where it only applies to seeded skaters (those who finished 1-6 at 2012 Worlds).

I'm don't know if there is an actual definition for Senior B, but qualifying scores can be posted at any international event. Looking at the ISU calendar, I counted 7 international events at the senior level between now and Japanese Nationals, but the entry deadlines are already passed for the first four. Golden Spin is probably not a practical option because it is so close to Japanese Nationals, but I don't understand why Dortmund or Merano are not options.
    Section 3.4 of the GP Announcement defines a "seeded" skater as anyone listed in paragraph 2.1, which includes:
    2.1.a: Placed 1-6 at last year's World Championships
    2.1.b: Any skater/team moved to a seeded position because of vacancies
    2.1.c: "Come-back" Skaters/Couples previously seeded and taking the automatic two option, like Ando

3.4 states, "If any seeded skater/couple elects in advance of the Grand Prix Period not to participate in their assigned events (for whatever reason) they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the Grand Prix Period. In addition, depending on the circumstances, these seeded skater/couple may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, of the General Regulations..."

That leaves NRW (5-9 Dec) and Golden Spin (13-16 Dec) as the only two Senior B's, i.e., international competitions including seniors. (Santa Claus Cup, also 5-9 Dec, only includes juniors and novices.)

I don't know what the qualification rules for Japanese Nationals are: five of six regions that Sylvia listed are either in progress or over. Ando did not compete in her national championships last year after winning two seasons ago; I don't know if they have byes, and, if so, if the bye criteria extend past one season.

Rule 136.6 speaks of sanctions, but isn't specific. The GP Announcement says the sanctions "may be in the form of monetary penalties" but doesn't limit them to money.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I noticed the last part of the headline, which I had missed initially. Has Miki announced that 2013 will be her last season? Why not go to another Olympics? Is it burnout/injuries? If it's not that, I don't think finding another coach would be a problem for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I noticed the last part of the headline, which I had missed initially. Has Miki announced that 2013 will be her last season? Why not go to another Olympics?
    It is not like she can just choose to go to another Olympics at the last minute. She is Japanese, not Canadian. : The Japanese team is very deep, and based on 2010 they choose their teams based on performances of the last 2 years, not just the Nationals (the reason Miki herself even made the 2010 team despite placing a distant 4th at Nationals). If she even had a hope of making it she would need to skate the whole 2013-2014 season and produce great results, and then skate great at Nationals too. As it is the only GP she would even be eligible for next season probably would be a host pick.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Ando would be 26 and having not competed for over 2 years. She is no Plushenko, and even Plushenko went from dominating the Olympics to losing to Evan freaking Lysacek after taking a few years off at that age.
    Plushenko, though, thought he was a show skater and was in pretty bad shape, given the technical requirements, when he attempted his comeback for Vancouver, and took a crash approach in too little time. Had he had another six months, I think he would have regained his speed and taken the title.

I doubt Ando will get that badly out of shape, and the technical requirements for a top women, at least over the last few years, are not comparatively as difficult, especially with the younger Russian skaters going through growth spurts.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    It is not like she can just choose to go to another Olympics at the last minute. She is Japanese, not Canadian. : The Japanese team is very deep, and based on 2010 they choose their teams based on performances of the last 2 years, not just the Nationals (the reason Miki herself even made the 2010 team despite placing a distant 4th at Nationals). If she even had a hope of making it she would need to skate the whole 2013-2014 season and produce great results, and then skate great at Nationals too. As it is the only GP she would even be eligible for next season probably would be a host pick.
    i don´t think so.

to be honest, miki is the only real shot alongside asada for a medal in sotchi.
    she is a two time world champion and has left the scene on a very high note with a dominating season (forgetting about Japan Open afterwards).
    Artistically she surely improved more and more (as it is seen in the shows); so the japanese federation would do what they can do to bring her to the olympics, if she goes for it.

surely they cannot make the same 'failure' like in 2006 but i think, they will go for her, as long she is in 'ok shape'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I thought Morozov dating Ilinikh was a rumor and that although Elena did indeed break up with Nikita, her new boyfriend is a hockey player, not Morozov...
    I know this is off topic but I'm interested to know who the hockey player is and where you got this information.

vCash
    Anyone know why Miki took last season off to begin with? Taking even one season off is not a good way to try to make it to another Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Anyone know why Miki took last season off to begin with? Taking even one season off is not a good way to try to make it to another Olympics.
    Because she won Worlds and pretty much everything else that season and wanted to rest? And a tsunami had just ravaged through her home country and likely affected much of her family and close friends?

vCash
    AFAIK, Japanese federation chose their 2010 Olympic team based on the result of either 2009 Grand prix final or 2009 Japanese Nationals. (NOT the performances of the last 2 years.) Miki made the 2010 team because she was the highest among the Japanese qualifiers at 2009 Grand prix final, despite placing 4th at the Nationals.
    Last edited by homura; 10-12-2012 at 03:19 AM.

vCash
    I'm surprised to see her so affected by Morozov not coaching her. Her "pro" programs of the last 12 months or so were beautiful, some of the best she's ever done. I don't think he was involved in those, so I'm wondering why she's not more confidant to continue on without him.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast